Civil war 2 by Ageod

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
jebstuart
Reactions:

Civil war 2 by Ageod

Post by jebstuart »

Simply the best grand strategy civil war game ever made, cant recommend any civil war game more than this one.

Civil War II
http://www.matrixgames.com/store/500/Civil.War.II

anyone played it?
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen days before Gettysburg 

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to heaven, found he had outflanked them and was already there". Northern newspaper about the death of Stonewall Jackson

"No way Sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
southern solider about northern general sherman
con20or
Reactions:

Civil war 2 by Ageod

Post by con20or »

No need to spam the forum with multiple posts - I am moving this to the 'other games' section.
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Re: Civil war 2 by Ageod

Post by Stellar Duck »

Yea, I've played it.

For 23 hours according to Steam. And so far I've mostly managed to not win at Shiloh, get my supply lines messed up and making a general mess of things.

It's a great game but heavens above, I'm absolutely useless at it.
Snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory since 1982
jebstuart
Reactions:

Post by jebstuart »

lol, was hard for me at first as well. I will suggest to you putting the supply system at easy supply. That will make game 100% easier and let you get use to game. You must play the entire civil war the scenarios like shiloh just are not even the game [ not fun either], so play entire civil war that will also give you many chances to mess up and recover.

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to heaven, found he had outflanked them and was already there". Northern newspaper about the death of Stonewall Jackson

"No way Sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Sounds cool!
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Post by Stellar Duck »

lol, was hard for me at first as well. I will suggest to you putting the supply system at easy supply. That will make game 100% easier and let you get use to game. You must play the entire civil war the scenarios like shiloh just are not even the game [ not fun either], so play entire civil war that will also give you many chances to mess up and recover.
I mainly did Shiloh just to get a hang of command structures and movement and what not.

I've started a number of grand campaigns but they quickly flounder. I may change tack and try a one theater scenario instead of the whole thing. Maybe see if I can do as well as Grant and Sherman.
jebstuart
Reactions:

Post by jebstuart »

so by " quickly flounder" do you mean you got whipped?. If so what difficulty level do you play as and what side north or south?. How are you getting whipped as well? I would love to give some basic help to get you started because i would hate to see you give up on such a great game that has brought me more fun than any game in many years. If you are playing as north especially easy supply can help so much when trying to invade, than protecting supply lines and depots are easier and less important making invasion easier.

jebstuart
Reactions:

Post by jebstuart »

Sounds cool!
I cant recommend it more, as great as scourge of war is tactical, i must say i think civ 2 is as good or better strategically.I have never had a game were things like weather,supply,terrain are so important and matter so great. The game goes deep into diplomacy,military decisions, industrial and were/what to build and were. How to use train/boats and were. Do you use to send much needed troops across state? or use to distribute supplies around country etc, and so much more just a great game. Perfect to go along with scourge of was, than best tactical and strategy civil war games ever.

Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

I've tried sevral ageod games, the first one, then civil war, then the remake of the first one, i dont think I've tried civil war 2.

My problem ( other then sucking at them) i don't feel like I'm in control when battles start, its the same problem i have with all those grand strategy games, like Europa universales. Ageod games, lots of the matrix games.

If i can't control the battles, i don't feel in control. Just seeing the pc number crunch then showing then results isn't good enough.
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Post by Stellar Duck »

I've tried sevral ageod games, the first one, then civil war, then the remake of the first one, i dont think I've tried civil war 2.

My problem ( other then sucking at them) i don't feel like I'm in control when battles start, its the same problem i have with all those grand strategy games, like Europa universales. Ageod games, lots of the matrix games.

If i can't control the battles, i don't feel in control. Just seeing the pc number crunch then showing then results isn't good enough.
That's something I sometimes feel as well, but in Civil War 2 I've actually found a way to make it work in favour of the game.

I'm playing the game as a first person Lincoln simulator. When Little Mac fails his actication check and stays put in Alexandria I just reckon that that's how it feels to be the C-I-C and having your general sit on their backsides doing nothing while the Rebs are loading the Shenandoah shotgun.

Same for the battles. I'm Lincoln. I give the general orders and so forth but when it comes to the battle I'm still stuck in DC waiting for the telegrams to tell me how the battle went.

Played like that, the game feels very intense indeed. You know why he probably wanted to shout at generals at times and you start appreciating those who actually move out and do their job.