Civil war 2 by Ageod

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Re: Civil war 2 by Ageod

Post by Stellar Duck »

I do apologize for not getting back to you!

I suddenly had to move and leave my borrowed PC behind and I've just gotten a new one built.

If the offer still stands I'd be happy to do some PBEM with Civil War 2 as soon as I get everything running on this PC.
Snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory since 1982
stonewalljackson
Reactions:

Post by stonewalljackson »

Hi stellar no problem, this is jebstuart by the way. I would love to play as well, but cannot for few weeks finishing something up at moment.
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
southern solider about northern general sherman

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".
northern newspaper about the death of stonewall jackson
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Post by Stellar Duck »

Just in case anyone was curious, stonewalljackson and I had a splendid war.

Three months of back and forth!

If anyone is on the fence I can heartily recommend this game for a bit of adversarial play.

Spoilers: the Union won a magnificent victory and Sherman sieged Richmond while Grant and Thomas out flanked Johnston all through TN and GA.

I'm sure my opponent will agree that it was touch and go and the fortunes of war seemed to shift. Ultimately, I think I proved that manoeuvre warfare can win the day. Knoxville, Memphis and Atlanta all fell to Grant and Thomas cutting the supply and forcing the defenders to move out and face me on my terms instead of behind their defences in the cities. Never let go of initiative!
montecristo1981
Reactions:

Post by montecristo1981 »

Looks good. So is a play by email game?

I get horrible freezes on it, panning and zooming. Is this the same as Wars of Napoleon just released today?
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Post by Stellar Duck »

Looks good. So is a play by email game?

I get horrible freezes on it, panning and zooming. Is this the same as Wars of Napoleon just released today?
Yea, it's play by e-mail. Which is now my favourite mode of multiplayer. It just feels so relaxed.

I haven't bought Wars of Napoleon yet as I'm brassic but yea, I think the core of the game it much the same.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Maybe this is a question for the Ageod forum but where is the MP documented? There's nothing in the manual and I don't see any other docs in my Steam version.

Thanks,

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Montecristo wrote:
I get horrible freezes on it, panning and zooming.
Probably your PC. Maybe it's time for a new one.

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Post by Stellar Duck »

Maybe this is a question for the Ageod forum but where is the MP documented? There's nothing in the manual and I don't see any other docs in my Steam version.

Thanks,

B
Honestly, I haven't the faintest clue if there is proper documentation for the MP stuff.

What we did was a bit of trial and error but the general gist of it is:

One player is the "host" and resolves the turn. He then sends the turn file to the other guy who loads it up and then makes all his orders and saves them in an order file and send them back. The host then takes that order file as well as his own and resolves the turn and repeats the process.

To be honest, I suspect an easier solution would be to set up a shared folder in Dropbox or Gdrive and then just use that one instead of sending files back and forth.

The thing about MP is: it's the precise same thing as single player, only the AI is disabled and a human generates both set of orders. There is no systemic difference in the game.

I don't know if that was any help at all.

Edit: regarding the freezing on panning and zooming, yea, that's a PC issue generally. There are some options to reduce the footprint of the game that might help in a situation like that regarding the textures on the map and so forth.

There is also a tendency to crash if memory is low or if you view the command range while zoomed out.
Last edited by Stellar Duck on Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Stellar Duck wrote:
One player is the "host" and resolves the turn. He then sends the turn file to the other guy who loads it up and then makes all his orders and saves them in an order file and send them back. The host then takes that order file as well as his own and resolves the turn and repeats the process.
Thanks for this. What files are those?

B
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Post by Stellar Duck »

Stellar Duck wrote:
Thanks for this. What files are those?

B
The turn file is names [savegamename].hst and the order files are [savegamename]~USA.ord and [savegamename]~CSA.ord.

Be aware though! We ran into a weird issue where my opponents game named the order files [savegamename]-USA.ord with a hyphen instead of ~. That may be a difference between the Steam version and the non Steam version. It works fine but I had to rename the .ord file when sent it and change it to the hyphen so they could be interpreted by my opponents game.

So, basically, this is how it works: my opponent sent me [savegamename].hst. That's the turn that was just process and I went over the results and generally swore liberally at useless commanders in VA and fawned over Grant and Sherman. Then I made my orders for the next turn and saved them as [savegamename]~USA.ord and sent it back. He would have made his own orders in the mean time or whenever he had the time. When both sets of orders were ready they should both be in the save folder and then he resolves the turn, generating a new .hst file and he sent to men and the we would repeat the process.

A good idea is to set the option for the game to make backups of 5 turns back, just in case something happens, so you can revert to the previous turn.

And obviously replace [savegamename] with whatever you want to call the game.