Released: A Savage and Romantic War - The First Carlist War

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
More Alive
Reactions:

Re: Released: A Savage and Romantic War - The First Carlist War

Post by More Alive »

Hi;
I'm actually currently modding SoWWL with all the latest KS files, and your 2 map mods, Rio Espanol and Montana Sagrada (Rio Espanol is especially impressive in the rendering of Spanish architecture); it does work with Rio Espanol, but I keep getting a "Wrong Level" errmsg when loading Montana Sagrada with an Abort/Retry option. I've checked the .ini which is pretty much the same altogether, but I assume the issue is either in the *.csv or the .lsl or *.dds mod? I fail to see why it would work for one and not for the other?
Also, when playing on Rio Espanol, the minimap is reduced to about half of its normal size with the units starting either off map, or the objective being off map (but the units can move there no probs) maybe this is because it's a GB mod?
I haven't tried yet to read any file besides the *.ini and .csv I assume it can be done with the SDK?
Any help would be appreciated. Really good job on the map(s) tho!
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Glad you like them. Yes, these maps are designed for GB so there are teething troubles in SoWWL.

The reason MS doesn't work in the new game is because SoWWL doesn't like the Spanish punctuation in the name. This is easily corrected by renaming all of the map files and amending the names to match in the map .ini file. It will then load.

There are other cosmetic problems with the Spanish maps if used in SoWWL -

- The minimap needs resizing to match SoWWL specs.

- The packed terrain graphics don't look right due to a known problem in the new engine. Hopefully this will be sorted in a future patch so I can avoid unpacking these.

- the 3d buildings are too big as the new sprites are slightly smaller.

So work is needed for these maps to look as I intended in the new engine.I am working on a port but wanted to see if the packed graphics issue was going to be addressed first.
Volunteer
Reactions:

Post by Volunteer »

Crikey, it is always best to assume people don't know what they are doing and don't do anything the way you do. Every mod in the game has to reside in a top folder called "MyMod". Reissuing this mod inside that one main folder and including a maps folder with the maps in it would be by far the most logical and easy thing to do.

Right now, as it stands, to people new to adding mods, they just won't get this one to work.
Me, for example! :lol: The mod looks appealing. :)
Last edited by Volunteer on Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More Alive
Reactions:

Post by More Alive »

Hi;
Thank you for your reply!
Got it, I guess that's why the Rio Espanol worked as it was without the Spanish proper tilde.
I just saw that gimp could help on *.dds so I'll see how to resize.
I didn't pay attention to the sprites vs 3D building but I'll have a look. The buildings are awesome on the Rio's map though, it really makes you feel in Estremadura.
I'm not sure I understand about the packed graphics? The map elements (trees, stones, terrain) look good overall; this being said, I've loaded the package in a mod file with elements taken from the KS mods (namely everything that concerned the Peninsular war) maybe that helped in my case?
I don't know if it's too much to ask but I saw you also did a Mexico redux, however the link looks obsolete, any chance to check it somewhere? I'd like to have a look at the sprites?
Thanks!
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

volunteer

The mod is for Sow Gettysburg only. If you have that game then install is fairly easy if you know how to unzip files and cut and paste.

Download the files

Extract the files using 7zip to your desktop choosing the option 'extract to' ...this will create a folder in which the mod files are stored.

If you chose to create this folder on your desk top then copy and paste the folder to the sowgb mod folder and activate as per the readme.

I'm not at my normal pc so can only offer limited assistance this week.
Last edited by Crikey on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

More Alive....

The packed terrain graphics for these maps do look different in SowWL compared to SoWGB but I'm probably more sensitive to it. :)

Mexredux.... I used a time limited download service for that mod as I didn't have much Dropbox space at that time. Basically it lasted until one month after the last download. I'll look at re-uploading when I return to my normal pc unless others help you out before then.
More Alive
Reactions:

Post by More Alive »

Well thank you for your help; Desolles volunteered to travel around both maps; I managed to resize the minimaps tricking the res on the image proper (the whole file itself wouldnt do), and I know what you meant with the sprite ratio, although I didnt notice it that much vs buildings but rather against other elements such as San Pedro's tumbstones, and the upturned cart near the granary.
While Desolles was rambling in such gallant way his division got hammered by the Brits at Montana Sagrada but managed to whip the Bourbons' backsides at Rio Espanol :)
Thank you for your help!
tim
Reactions:

Post by tim »

You can change the size of the sprites in the unit model or unit global cab files. It's the same file in SOWWL as SOWWGB.
Beautiful mod by the way :).
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

You can change the size of the sprites in the unit model or unit global cab files. It's the same file in SOWWL as SOWWGB.
Beautiful mod by the way :).
Hmmm...I've always adjusted troop sprite sizes via the unitpack.csv, Column D - Scale. Please clue me in if the other ways have advantages.
Last edited by RebBugler on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
tim
Reactions:

Post by tim »

I was talking about the troop sprites so may have got at cross purposes...