Scourge of War - Waterloo Diaries Part 3

A section for Waterloo videos, screenshots and fan art. Post any of your creations here!
con20or
Reactions:

Scourge of War - Waterloo Diaries Part 3

Post by con20or »

Last edited by con20or on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Re: Scourge of War - Waterloo Diaries Part 3

Post by Gunfreak »

Looks good, i really like the reserve in those skirmish units, but the flag should be with the reserve not those out in skirmish order.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Nonsense, skirmishers - to the front, flag in hand. That's the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWgt7dxUdHE
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

I like the look and movement of the formations, especially with the higher sprite limit.

Any chance the transition to square could look a bit less chaotic? Many sprites are crossing right over from one side to the other.

Also, will British be able to use column of companies for maneauver?
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

Any chance the transition to square could look a bit less chaotic?
+1 :-)
Destraex
Reactions:

Post by Destraex »

A question about battalions and skirmishing or forming grenadier detachments
Does each battalion still have a light company and a grenadier company to play with?
Xaver
Reactions:

Post by Xaver »

A little thing... form a square from line is a little... chaotic??? soldiers from the left side in line appear in the right flank of the square and is all based in individual movements... i expect see them moving as companies to form the square.

I am interested to in the skirmishers... you explain earlier that you can use non light troops to reinforce the skirmishers but is any kind of limit??? i refer that light battalions can use all their force as skirmishers but regular battalions prefer be carefull on this because they want mantein the battalion force and well, give better use of soldiers in regular formations over in a role that require a diferent "mind".
"Vivire militare est" Séneca

(Life is fight)
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

Any chance the transition to square could look a bit less chaotic? Many sprites are crossing right over from one side to the other.
The sprites search of place in a new formation is determined from their index and place in the formation defined in drill.csv. Square is sure the more complicated because you ned to guarantee that every side has a sufficient number of sprites for have it without gaps, chapeau to Jim to have managed this complexity. The fact that they move like this is due to this necessity, because starting from the sprite 1 they have to move to the side assigned which can be different sprite for sprite.
Also, will British be able to use column of companies for maneauver?
Column by companies is the formation assigned to the assault formation of british, the AI used it less than for the french due to different style of officers, but the player can use it.
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

A question about battalions and skirmishing or forming grenadier detachments
Does each battalion still have a light company and a grenadier company to play with?
No there're not specific elite companies, this will have required a big change of csv structure of oobs and much ad hoc code, because Prussian and other germans battalions have 4 companies without elite companies, some british guards battalion have more than 1 light company.

In addition single grenadiers companies would have made little sense without the possibility to being merged together in single elite battalions: individually they would have been too tiny to have a efficient assault role in battle.
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

A little thing... form a square from line is a little... chaotic??? soldiers from the left side in line appear in the right flank of the square and is all based in individual movements... i expect see them moving as companies to form the square

No the formation pattern at battalion is for sprite, no for subunits because battalion has not subunits until a split. and like I told above there'is also the need to guarantee a four side square whatever is the sprite ratio or losses. Jim sure can explain better the concept and complexity.
I am interested to in the skirmishers... you explain earlier that you can use non light troops to reinforce the skirmishers but is any kind of limit??? i refer that light battalions can use all their force as skirmishers but regular battalions prefer be carefull on this because they want mantein the battalion force and well, give better use of soldiers in regular formations over in a role that require a diferent "mind".
There're two levels: what the player can do and what the AI do: the AI will never split from battalion under the 450 men strenght and will detach unit of 1/6 or 1/10 of original strenght according to the stance level (at example (probe stance detach more than attack stance). Player can detach on the base of percentage or fixed number but there's a limit also related to the parent battalion strenght, if I remember well.