Multiplayer?

Questions on the new sandbox campaign for Waterloo can go here.
Harag
Reactions:

Multiplayer?

Post by Harag »

Hi

I've not heard much about the Sandbox Campaign and not bought the game yet to try out, but what I want to know is the campaign Multiplayer??? If so, how does it work with COOP VS AI, especially if 2 players vs AI decided to split up and go different ways to look for the AI player. If one finds them, the other player will be waiting for the battle to end.

I have a feeling it's SOLO, if so - what are the plans, if any, to make it multiplayer???

Thanks.
Jim
Reactions:

Re: Multiplayer?

Post by Jim »

Not at this time. We plan to add that in, but could only do so much and get this out by the 200th anniversary.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Not at this time. We plan to add that in, but could only do so much and get this out by the 200th anniversary.
That just made the decision for me.....not to buy the game until it's muutiplayer. I guess I have not paid attention closely enough--I assumed it would be multiplayer.

Sigh, hopefully you'll have MP within the next 12 months or so; I'll buy it then. Really disappointed.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
Harag
Reactions:

Post by Harag »

Thanks Jim - Follow up - the 20 scenario battles - are all these multiplayer, or is it just random sandbox battles? - Reason for this is that my brother and I like to play COOP vs AI and would love to do the 20 scenarios.

@cliometrician - The normal sandbox games I guess are multiplayer (max 32 players), just not the sandbox campaign, which I imagine would be difficult to do - even the Total War series doesn't have multiplayer campaigns, only battles. I'm happy that the battles are multiplayer so I'll be buying it.
Last edited by Harag on Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

You are correct Harag - we have multiplayer sandbox and scenarios.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Just to be really clear here.

The Sandbox Campaign is single player only at this time.

The 20 Waterloo Battle scenarios are single player.

There are 3 Waterloo Battle Multiplayer Scenarios, these are the full army, the Hougoumont Division level and the Plancenoit Corps level battle.

The Sandbox battles can be either SP or MP.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Then I happily stand corrected. It does have MP and I'm going to buy it. Thanks!
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Been thinking some more about this. Could one player play both sides if the alphaomega toggle in the .ini file is set to 1?

If it is possible to play this way, can the scenario file be saved before a campaign battle is fought?

Can alternative OOBs be used in the campaign?

With this method an umpire could run the campaign on his own moving both forces using orders sent to him by two players (or two teams of players). When battles are generated the campaign could be paused/saved and the scenario played as an MP game with the end of game dump file being plugged back into the campaign afterwards.

Would this work?
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Unfortunately no.

- AlphaOmega won't work. AO lets you see the enemy army on the campaign map but can't control it.
- The campaign save files are very different to single player sandbox saved games - they have to store info for multiple battles.
- Alternative OOBs are fine. We shipped it with 2, plus 1 mod.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

- AlphaOmega won't work. AO lets you see the enemy army on the campaign map but can't control it.
Could such a feature be easily added by a mod or by adding an alphaomega line to the campaign .ini file, or something like that?
- The campaign save files are very different to single player sandbox saved games - they have to store info for multiple battles.
But could a player still open them up to mod them so they can become MP scenarios. I've very interested to know how much work would be involved.
- Alternative OOBs are fine. We shipped it with 2, plus 1 mod.
Thanks. So you could fight over the same map with two entirely different armies (nationalities).
Last edited by Saddletank on Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.