Designing Scenarios for all the Napoleonic Wars

A new scenario/battle editor is in development and should be following hot on the heels of Waterloo - any questions can go here.
MarshalJean
Reactions:

Designing Scenarios for all the Napoleonic Wars

Post by MarshalJean »

Friends!

This game seems wonderful! I have Histwar Napoleon and enjoy its ability to create battles from throughout the era, including Russian, Austrian, French and minor nation regiments (and British, Prussian, Spanish with some the community mods). I was just wondering if SoW Waterloo was going to develop into a game (through combination of devs work and modders) into a game where battles from throughout the period, with soldiers from all the nations, could be built, using historical OoBs, maps, etc, or if it was going to remain a game where players could fight their own scenarios, but would be limited to 1815 and only the nations that actually saw action. Thank you!
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Re: Designing Scenarios for all the Napoleonic Wars

Post by Gunfreak »

Friends!

This game seems wonderful! I have Histwar Napoleon and enjoy its ability to create battles from throughout the era, including Russian, Austrian, French and minor nation regiments (and British, Prussian, Spanish with some the community mods). I was just wondering if SoW Waterloo was going to develop into a game (through combination of devs work and modders) into a game where battles from throughout the period, with soldiers from all the nations, could be built, using historical OoBs, maps, etc, or if it was going to remain a game where players could fight their own scenarios, but would be limited to 1815 and only the nations that actually saw action. Thank you!
The plan seems to be to expand to other battles in the period, they will finish the 100 days. They probebly allready have the planes for the next major battle, we just don't know which one yet.

Personally i hope for either Leipzig i mean it's the battle of nations.
or Eylau, winter battle with russians and french in BICORNES!
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

The modders who built the extensive NW mod for SOW:GB are busy at work porting over their mod into the SOW:WL system as we (type). The engine as currently configured cannot do all 25 years or so of this war as tactics, uniforms and formations evolved under the harsh selection process of combat.

We have to add additional content to complete the 100 days campaign first. After that we will be moving on to earlier campaigns but no idea specifically which one at this point. Perhaps the Peninsular campaign, perhaps some of the post Russian campaigns. The floor is open for discussion of which one might work best in this game engine.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
MarshalJean
Reactions:

Post by MarshalJean »

The modders who built the extensive NW mod for SOW:GB are busy at work porting over their mod into the SOW:WL system as we (type). The engine as currently configured cannot do all 25 years or so of this war as tactics, uniforms and formations evolved under the harsh selection process of combat.

We have to add additional content to complete the 100 days campaign first. After that we will be moving on to earlier campaigns but no idea specifically which one at this point. Perhaps the Peninsular campaign, perhaps some of the post Russian campaigns. The floor is open for discussion of which one might work best in this game engine.

-Jim
Great. Thanks, Jim. Honestly, although I know that the Coalition (for example) was using better tactics in 1813-15 than in 1805, and that the quality of French troops really began to decline after 1806, even if it was graphically possible to create user-made battles from the 1805-1807 period using historical uniforms and regimental names and leaders, while using tactics from later periods, it would at least be something. Of course, what would be best would be for NorbSoft to develop the Ulm/Austerlitz campaign, followed by a Jena release, then Eylau-Friedland, Peninsular, Russian, 1813, 1814, etc. so that all years from 1805-15 could be used by a player in developing a scenario which would include changing doctrines, OoBs, leader abilities, etc. But this would be too much to ask for, I know.

So, if modders are creating a system where OoBs and uniforms and leaders from all the nations from 1805-15 are possible, while being forced to skimp to some degree on changing tactics, this would at least be something. Thanks again for your response, sir.

MJ
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Post by Gunfreak »

-Jim
Great. Thanks, Jim. Honestly, although I know that the Coalition (for example) was using better tactics in 1813-15 than in 1805, and that the quality of French troops really began to decline after 1806, even if it was graphically possible to create user-made battles from the 1805-1807 period using historical uniforms and regimental names and leaders, while using tactics from later periods, it would at least be something. Of course, what would be best would be for NorbSoft to develop the Ulm/Austerlitz campaign, followed by a Jena release, then Eylau-Friedland, Peninsular, Russian, 1813, 1814, etc. so that all years from 1805-15 could be used by a player in developing a scenario which would include changing doctrines, OoBs, leader abilities, etc. But this would be too much to ask for, I know.

So, if modders are creating a system where OoBs and uniforms and leaders from all the nations from 1805-15 are possible, while being forced to skimp to some degree on changing tactics, this would at least be something. Thanks again for your response, sir.

MJ
The whole Napoleonic wars propper (1085-1815) can easily be done, tactics were mostly the same, differences were high up.

The revolution period is mabye too different, mabye.
Holdit
Reactions:

Post by Holdit »

-Jim
This is really great news. The period I'd like to see is...well...all of them :ohmy: , and I'd be happy to help out in any way I can.

One period I really would like to see, because I've never seen it dealt with before, is the French Revolutionary Wars, from Valmy to, say, Marengo and Hohenlinden. There's a rich vein to be mined there, I think, pitching the rag-tag French mass line infantry against the Frederickian armies of Austria and Prussia, particularly during 1792-94.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

That's great news, Jim

There's some really good modders out there that have done amazing things with SOWGB. Sprites for Russia, Austria, Bavaria, Spain, Portugal, Poland, and a few minor states all exist. There's sprites from other non-Nap mods which can be utilised (with permission, of course), some go quite well. There's also some Revolutionary French. They are not as high def as WL spritres but many look great.

Lots of battlefields which can be utilised from SOWGB/Mods. It would be good if we could mod these with Nap buildings??

There's always room for more oob's but there are many which can be adapted from the SOW Nap mods, including Austria 1809, Italy 1809, 1807, 1806, 1800, 1812. Most of the Peninsular battles. Basic spreadsheet/.csv knowledge and an understanding of the game structure is needed but can be picked up quite quickly with help here.

Check out the SOWGB forum Napoleonic section. If you want to mod, ask here for any help.

:)
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

The usual *.dat map package files should be accessible in the commercial installed game. The map modders could make a separate set of maps using the buildings from the WL maps as a replacement for the ACW era building you currently have.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Now that, Jim, is really great news!

The SoW:GB Nap mod, as Grog says. already has many different uniforms in and it would be fantastic is a community effort could be started up whereby modding artists began to fill the gaps we have, or replace the less detailed sprites with better ones.

The KS Group is working to port over all the sprites from GB as well as all the GB maps and all the mod maps. These are already in the first build of the mod.

I am sure some of the KS group people could create a list of every sprite we currently have from both SoW:GB and WL so that we can see the gaps.

OOBs are time-consuming but technically not difficult to make.

So other than historical battlefield maps and the gaps in the unit/uniform library we pretty much have everything we already need.

EDIT?: Hm, maybe split this topic and move the last couple of posts to the modding area?
Last edited by Saddletank on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

The KS Napoleon mod has a number of OOBs, 1806(Jena-Auerstadt), 1807(Eylau-Friedland), Peninsula campaign, 1809(Wagram-Raab), 1812(Borodino) and Waterloo. I've built several of these and it is a lot of tedious work. I'm waiting for some unsuspecting mark to volunteer for the granddaddy of all, Leipzig. That one would require some new sprites.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.