Pikemen

Here you can talk about whatever floats your boat. Your favorite movie, sports team, etc. If it's a little racey, I suggest you post in R&R, otherwise we'll move it for you.
Volunteer
Reactions:

Pikemen

Post by Volunteer »

A photo I took at a living history display (also want to test uploading of photos). Click on shot for full dimensions.

The attachment Pikemen.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Pikemen.jpg
Pikemen.jpg (464.11 KiB) Viewed 167 times
Last edited by Volunteer on Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Re: Pikemen

Post by IronBMike »

Very cool! Looks fun.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
tim
Reactions:

Post by tim »

I seen a few reenactments - civil war, Hastings and Waterloo. The Civil War an Hastings reminded me of a rugby game played in armour with weapons! One chap broke an arm, another a leg and one of the Perry twins who make the Perry miniatures and started at Games Workshop lost a hand when loading a cannon. Dangerous hobby (and I played rugby for 30 years)! But fun to watch.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I see these obviously HAPPY PIKERS must be restrained by a rope...notice the taunt blue rope.

What in the heck is going on here? :woohoo:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

The rope separates the combat area from the public viewing area and these pikemen are facing into the audience and making a line to pose for the camera. Their happy smiles suggest the same. On the battlefield they don't look so chummy.

I used to be a musketeer in two Civil War re-=enactment societies (see my avatar) and one day accidentally shot another re-enactor in the face. I didn't even have a paper wad in my musket and he suffered quite bad burns but fortunately his sight was okay.

The ECW re-enactments you can see in Britain every summer can be quite brutal affairs because the combats reply mainly on melee rather than firing lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHmMSIqMI5c
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Volunteer
Reactions:

Post by Volunteer »

The rope separates the combat area from the public viewing area and these pikemen are facing into the audience and making a line to pose for the camera. Their happy smiles suggest the same. On the battlefield they don't look so chummy.

I used to be a musketeer in two Civil War re-=enactment societies (see my avatar) and one day accidentally shot another re-enactor in the face. I didn't even have a paper wad in my musket and he suffered quite bad burns but fortunately his sight was okay.

The ECW re-enactments you can see in Britain every summer can be quite brutal affairs because the combats reply mainly on melee rather than firing lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHmMSIqMI5c
Your assessment of the photo is correct. :)

I reckoned you may have been a re-enactor from your avatar! I joined the Sealed Knot in 1973, (the organisation was only four years old then), as a drummer boy in the 5th Northumbrian Companie of Pikemen, Lambert's Levellers, and participated in all of that year's major events -- including the Killiecrankie campaign of the 1680s. I saw many near misses to life and limb and the occasional serious injury. The worst was at Killiecrankie when a Scot with a battleaxe split the face of an English redcoat from brow to jaw. :ohmy: The onlooking Jocks got a bit vociferous in baying for blood. Things almost got nasty as some re-enactors strayed onto the mass grave of the highlanders who had died in the real battle. :evil:

I took the photo this month -- my first contact with the SK since 1973 -- and as your video showed the re-enactment scene has become altogether more sophisticated in its depiction of the English Civil War.

I Remain, Sir,
For God and Parliament!
Last edited by Volunteer on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volunteer
Reactions:

Post by Volunteer »

B)
Last edited by Volunteer on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: user operator
Volunteer
Reactions:

Post by Volunteer »

I see these obviously HAPPY PIKERS must be restrained by a rope...notice the taunt blue rope.

What in the heck is going on here? :woohoo:
The pikemen were taking their encore before spectators at the end of a demonstration. As for the blue rope -- meh! -- the bane of photographers!