Exploring Joshua Chamberlain's home

Little Powell
Reactions:

Exploring Joshua Chamberlain's home

Post by Little Powell »

I know there are a lot of Chamberlain admirer's around these parts. :)

If you haven't already seen this at MHO, check out these pictures with descriptions of Chamberlain's home. They include a picture of the boots he wore at Gettysburg. Very neat!!

http://gettysburgintern.blogspot.com/20 ... -home.html
BOSTON
Reactions:

Re:Exploring Joshua Chamberlain's home

Post by BOSTON »

Little Powell wrote:

If you haven't already seen this at MHO, check out these pictures with descriptions of Chamberlain's home. They include a picture of the boots he wore at Gettysburg. Very neat!!

Where is the house located?
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

hoistingman4 wrote:
Little Powell wrote:

Where is the house located?
Never mind, I found it on another page, the light was on, but nobody was at home.
Last edited by BOSTON on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Hey LP,

Great find, B) cool pictures !!!!

Thanks for the link !!!

:)

:)

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

Awsome pictures I tried to find the hole in his boots where he got shot in the foot at Gettysburg.
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

I've been to the Chamberlain house twice now. The first when I was probably eleven or twelve. It was during the middle of the summer and I almost fainted on the staircase (Thank God I didn't.) The second was a couple of years ago when I went to a Summer Camp based at Bowdoin and the study focused on whether Chamberlain should be considered a 'Hero' for his actions on July 2nd.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Armchair General wrote:
The second was a couple of years ago when I went to a Summer Camp based at Bowdoin and the study focused on whether Chamberlain should be considered a 'Hero' for his actions on July 2nd.
Hey AC,

What was the verdict of the study ?

Was Chamberlain a 'Hero' on the July 2nd ?

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

Chamberlain wrote:
Armchair General wrote:
The second was a couple of years ago when I went to a Summer Camp based at Bowdoin and the study focused on whether Chamberlain should be considered a 'Hero' for his actions on July 2nd.
Hey AC,

Chamberlain
Well there was no one big conclusion, it was more of a come-up with your own verdict based on the group's study. The 'group' was about two dozen high school students, and on the first day we set the guidelines of what a hero actually is. The second Tom Desjardin came in and gave us the historical viewpoint of the battle for Little Round Top (using humor to heighten it). The rest of the week, (Thursday and Firday, we debated, went to his house, went to his grave, and saw his Medal of Honor.)

Back to the original question, in my personal findings, and based on our definition, I believe what Chamberlain did was certainly helpful and brave, maybe he is given too much credit for what happened. There were other regiments on LRT that day, and it seems they are too often forgotten. As too are the troops of Sears Greene's brigade on Culp's Hill, who did basically what Chamberlain did, except they had less men and were fighting a far numerical enemy. That was a very long-winded answer to a simple question, sorry.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
7th Wisconsin
Reactions:

Post by 7th Wisconsin »

Hey AC,

Chamberlain
This would make an interesting separate thread.
Who is John Galt?