Slower Animations Mod

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Slower Animations Mod

Post by Saddletank »

I am trying to slow down what to my eye is a rather fast animation, especially in infantry walking and running but its also present to a lesser extent in cavalry movements. Its the time for which each frame is shown in each sprite sheet. I have added longer times to the Timing values in unitpack.csv but am not seeing any change. I have upped the walk by 1/3rd from 12 to 16 and the run by 1/6th from 18 to 21. Am I on the right path?

===========================================================================

I've now found a speed of animations I prefer over the vanilla quite fast ones. All the walking animations for foot, horse and vehicles have been slowed down considerably and the result seems smoother and less frenzied!

Install and activate the mod in the usual way. It includes the recent Chasseurs of the Guard and Landwehr cavalry sprites.
Last edited by Saddletank on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Pom
Reactions:

Re: Animation speed

Post by Pom »

Hi Saddletank, you're in the right csv, I run my new sprites at 50 for walk and 40 for run, these might be a bit high for the vanilla sprites, haven't played with them, you just have to keep going up until you're happy.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Animation speed

Post by Saddletank »

The mod is now complete. Link in the first post.
Volunteer
Reactions:

Re: Slower Animations Mod

Post by Volunteer »

Will the mod work in the vanilla game or is it just sandbox?
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

It should work in all scenarios and all games that use the new WL sprites.
Baillie
Reactions:

Post by Baillie »

Hello, I am new here, when you say "Install and activate the mod in the usual way.", what do you mean? I'm afraid I haven't installed a mod for this game before. Where can I find a tutorial for installing a mod?

Thanks. :)
Last edited by Baillie on Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Hi Baillie.

I'll explain in the most basic terms as I don't know how much you know of handling files and folders in Windows. Please forgive me if I go too basic for you!

Download the archive file in the link in the first post to your PC. I keep all my mods, patches and other downloads in an "SOW-Waterloo" folder in "My Games", it just helps to collect them all in one place because if you like the game and spend sometime with it I promise you'll collect a lot of additional files!

When the archive file has completed downloading, navigate to where you stored it using Windows Explorer (the default Windows file and folder manager tool). Double click on the file and it will open with whatever archive file/compression utility your computer has. Winzip, Winrar and 7zip are all good free ones you can get from the internet and Windows 7 upwards has its own in-built archive/compression utility as well.

Inside the archive you will see a single folder called "Slower_Animations". Copy this folder into the Mods sub-folder of your "Scourge of War - Waterloo" folder. That's it.

When you next start the game, go to the Modifications screen and click the "Slower_Animations" mod check box so it has a tick in it. You now need to close the game completely back to your desktop. Then restart it and your new mod will have taken effect. If you no longer wish to use it, no need to delete it, just uncheck its checkbox.

Drop a note here if you need more help.

Also - cool avatar.
Baillie
Reactions:

Post by Baillie »

Thank you very much sir! I did do that, but I thought I had better check that there wasn't anything special I had to do! I've also got my hands on the SDK now, (I love a good dabble in the code of games) Is there anything special I must do to create my own mod? Say I wanted to make my own animation speed mod, do I literally just change the desired values, then whack it in the 'mods' folder within my new mod's folder?

As for the avatar, thank you! I pinched the original image from the front of a box of toy soldiers, HAT I believe, then edited it to resemble the 17th Leicestershire regiment's facings.

By the way, I would love to get involved with your HITS events for Waterloo - 'tis the only way to play in my book! ;)

Thanks for your help!
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Yes, creating your own mods has to follow the structure the game is expecting, so you put a folder named "my mod" in the games Mods folder and in there put your modded game files within the same folders the game needs to have, so if you made a new map for example it, and its associated files, would have to go in a folder called 'Maps' and then that Maps folder goes in the My Mod folder.

If you look at any mod by another person you'll soon get to understand the setup the game needs.

If you enjoy HITS and couriers (I agree, its the only way to play), follow the link in my sig which will take you to the SoW section of the Kriegspiel Society forums. We arrange all our games and campaigns there. You're very welcome to come along and play an MP game with us using our KS Mod.
141_pa
Reactions:

Post by 141_pa »

It's been half a decade, but does anyone have a download link to this? Thanks