How to just select units for a battle?

A new scenario/battle editor is in development and should be following hot on the heels of Waterloo - any questions can go here.
etf7506
Reactions:

How to just select units for a battle?

Post by etf7506 »

I take it the SE is not polished enough for one to just select units from a OOB and play a MP skirmish (sandbox) battle? Don't have the time to read all 115 pages (at this time) but the gang is coming over tonight. Wanted to place x2 COrps on each side on the board. Is that easier than not, or do I have to get into some serious modding for that?
Last edited by etf7506 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: How to just select units for a battle?

Post by Saddletank »

I suspect having put all that effort (for free) into the manual, NSD would prefer people to read it and learn rather than have people expect them to tell them what to do.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
etf7506
Reactions:

Post by etf7506 »

Thanks for your insightful thoughts.
God forbid that in a demo to 7 hardcore wargamers the good old NORBSOFT might get a few sales. Sorry that I was in a rush.
Last edited by etf7506 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conjotter
Reactions:

Post by conjotter »

Hey ETF.

Ignore the rude response.

You make a valid point about the SE. I totally agree.

Regards, CJ.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

I suspect having put all that effort (for free) into the manual, NSD would prefer people to read it and learn rather than have people expect them to tell them what to do.
How come yours was free, I paid for mine?
Leicestershire
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

The Scenario editor was free, as is the manual. As is the SDK.

Look guys, NSD just put many hours of work into this giving you all the info you need to learn how to use it and within a couple of days people are asking how to use it.

If you're going to ask how to do this and that, why did NSD write the manual?

Just RTFM, its not difficult.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

What etf was asking about was a quick tutorial to set up a simple game. It is not a bad request. Most guys just will want to set up games such as what etf is asking. I have just skimmed over the SDK myself.

Maybe some one would want to do a simple youtube video on this. It would be helpful to etf and many others.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Good idea. I nominate etf to do it. Someone has to, apparently, and since he asked, he seems the best candidate.

See how this works? I don't get any of it, just do it yourself, like I'm doing, reading through and learning. We are all in the same place with the new SDK/SE *shrugs*
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Thanks guys for the interest and ETF you are very welcome on the forum - I like your enthusiasm on the matrix forums and appreciate the support (there are a few ETFs!)

I take it the SE is not polished enough for one to just select units from a OOB and play a MP skirmish (sandbox) battle? Don't have the time to read all 115 pages (at this time) but the gang is coming over tonight. Wanted to place x2 COrps on each side on the board. Is that easier than not, or do I have to get into some serious modding for that?
Hi ETF - hope I'm not too late for the game. You have two questions I think:

- You can easily make an OOB of 2 Corps v 2 Corps for your game this evening, using the S editor. The 'export scenario as order of battle' sounds like the one you want.

- This is not my area of expertise (i usually just complain about scenarios) but as long as you do not script any actions, 'I think' you should be able to save a scenario with the 2 corps in specific locations and load it in a MP game. I could be wrong - sorry I can't give a better answer.
What etf was asking about was a quick tutorial to set up a simple game. It is not a bad request. Most guys just will want to set up games such as what etf is asking. I have just skimmed over the SDK myself.

Maybe some one would want to do a simple youtube video on this. It would be helpful to etf and many others.
That is a good idea. I'll request it.

How come yours was free, I paid for mine?
Hi Roy,

I did not answer this question on the matrix forum because it was a difficult one to explain and I hoped the provision of the SDK might solve it. The Matrix games website uses a standard template for describing each game, if you click on any others you will see they all say 'Editor'. Matrix flagged our game as "Yes, Editable data-files" - this referred to our built in modification functionality, and the ability to edit any of these data files.

We were very clear in the run up to the game that the Scenario Editor was not being shipped with the game, if you look at the heading of this forum section that confirms it. So the Scenario Editor, the forthcoming OOB editor, the map tools, the rest of the SDK, the manuals - these are all free content.
Last edited by con20or on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
etf7506
Reactions:

Post by etf7506 »

Thanks so much guys.....I have it running now AMAZING Stuff!
Yes all the ETF's are the same haha.

Saddle I promise tomorrow to "RTFM" cover to cover just for you :)