Scenario Editor Released!! Known Issues and Workarounds.

A new scenario/battle editor is in development and should be following hot on the heels of Waterloo - any questions can go here.
pakfront
Reactions:

Scenario Editor Released!! Known Issues and Workarounds.

Post by pakfront »

The scenario editor is out now. You will find it in the SDK folder after you install that.

Editor will not launch, produces a " ........not a valid win32 application" error message. The following issues will be fixed in the next SDK release:

Scenario Editor will crash if you have any mods with diacriticals (accent marks) in your Mods directory:
  • Delete problem mods or rename their folders to remove the marks.
  • Example: "Scourge of War Waterloo\Mods\Montaña Sagrada WL" should be renamed "Scourge of War Waterloo\Mods\Montana Sagrada WL"
  • Run Waterloo game, go to modifications menu, exit game. This will regenerate the mods list for the game.
  • Delete your "Documents\SowWL\ScenarioEditor.ini" file, if one exists
  • Launch editor
Couriers don't work:
  • Make sure you have courier units added to your scenario from the OOB.
  • Scenarios created with "New Scenario" may have blank "EnglishScenScreen.txt" files. Replace it with the same file from another scenario such as Sandbox.
Last edited by pakfront on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gazfun202
Reactions:

Re: Scenario Editor Released!! Known Issues and Workarounds.

Post by gazfun202 »

How do you use the editor?, where is there instructions please
Have fun above all else
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

There is a help menu inside the program which explain how to use the functionalities of program, but is better you ready in advance the SDK documentation in order to acquire the first concepts of how the scenario files works; use the scenario editor later becomes easier.
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
Gran Capitán
Reactions:

Post by Gran Capitán »

The SDK comes with a manual and there are some pages covering the scenario creation process.
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Clarification needed for one who is computer challenged.

Is this scenario editor for Waterloo only?

There was an SDK earlier for Gettysburg. Is it the same as this new one?
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

The SDK and the scenario editor recently released are for Waterloo only.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Thanks. I should have read the headline on the front page!
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

I must have done something wrong in my initial testing. I have a scenario working in MP now. I'll fully admit when I am wrong and on this one I am wrong.

My apologies, great tool and it does work in MP. Thanks.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

It is a great tool. Glad you got it working.
Jace11
Reactions:

Post by Jace11 »

Are the BASE files used by the game in its current state (patched to 1.01 and QB DLC) the same as those provided with the SDK (in the BASE folder)?

While trying to mod a couple of files I've come to the conclusion that, during the last 3 patches, at least some of the BASE files (notably logistics) have had changes made to them, while the SDK files have not been updated since release. Thus anyone wanting to mod anything in those files is working with out-of-date versions, giving rise to unintended behavior and in my case - potentially a few crashes. Any mods you do make cannot be checked against current versions of the base files to see if they need updating in any way.

In addition, the SDK would not open some of the scenarios from the QB DLC for me at all, but I managed to track down the errors using the log after the crash (mostly formations plus a unitpack error and a new courier message type) and get them to open.

If they are not up to date, I would ask why you don't update the SDK or rather its base files with each patch? The only mods we see are from NSD team members who presumably have access to the latest versions of everything, SDK files as well as the PowerRender software, while everyone outside that group would be hamstrung in their efforts. The SDK is indeed a great tool, but are the files we've been given to use with it out of date?
Last edited by Jace11 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.