Can you just permanenly turn off the AI for your troops

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
JPFisher55
Reactions:

Can you just permanenly turn off the AI for your troops

Post by JPFisher55 »

I found the 4 stars and the TCcommand button. The problem is that they don't seem to work all the time.
Is there any way to just permanently turn off the AI for the human player?
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Can you just permanenly turn off the AI for your troops

Post by Saddletank »

No. One of the key factors of the SoW franchise is realism in that subordinate commanders are not robots. They are humans with human weaknesses and failings. No army commander had 100% control over his troops and SoW is unique in trying to depict this interesting facet of warfare. If you want a simpler game Total War might be more your style.

Also there is no reason to open 3 threads on what is essentially the same issue.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
JPFisher55
Reactions:

Post by JPFisher55 »

Sorry, I just didn't know where to post this issue. It seems that you can only control your forces by brigade. To me, this ruins what appears to be a great game with great detail and graphics. I'm not interested in the AI making decisions for my units. From what, I understand this issue was resolved in SOW Waterloo, but I'm not interested in that era. Too bad, the developers did not update the SOW Gettysburg game engine to that used in the newer game. The mod only seems to work with brigades, but not division or corps. I have tried it numerous time in various scenarios and a sandlot test scenario.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

It seems that you can only control your forces by brigade. To me, this ruins what appears to be a great game with great detail and graphics. I'm not interested in the AI making decisions for my units.
I think that the problem here is that you are trying to control units that are not under your command, which happens during some of the scenarios.

You the player can control all of the units in your Army in a Open Play type of game.

To put that another way, you can control every single Division, Brigade, or Regiment that is in your army, and they will only move if you the player move them.

Perhaps, you should try playing a Open-Play type of game with a custom OOB.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Sorry, I just didn't know where to post this issue. It seems that you can only control your forces by brigade. To me, this ruins what appears to be a great game with great detail and graphics. I'm not interested in the AI making decisions for my units. From what, I understand this issue was resolved in SOW Waterloo, but I'm not interested in that era. Too bad, the developers did not update the SOW Gettysburg game engine to that used in the newer game. The mod only seems to work with brigades, but not division or corps. I have tried it numerous time in various scenarios and a sandlot test scenario.
As I said before, the WL and GB games are identical in this respect. Nothing was changed between them. Depending on what troops are allocated to your control in a scenario you can command anything from a single brigade up to the entire army. You must be using a setting that is overriding your ability to take command of your troops. To control an entire army or corps in a sandbox game you must of course select that army/corps commander as "your" avatar for that battle. You can create an corps vs corps sandbox game but if you only select a brigade commander as your avatar, you will only have control of his brigade. You need to approach this game in terms of correct army structure.

Also just dissing the entire game because you apparently haven't grasped the basics of it is very unfair on the developers.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
JPFisher55
Reactions:

Post by JPFisher55 »

Ok, I need direction on how to turn off the AI for all my brigades in a division or all my divisions in a corp. I can turn off the AI for all the regiments in a brigade using the TCofficers button, the 4 stars button or the 0 key. However, none of these seem to work to turn off the AI for brigades in a division or divisions in a corp.

I don't want to control my units by issuing orders, I want to turn off the AI so I can move them by brigade, division or by corp. So far, I have only succeeded in moving all the regiments in a brigade.
Last edited by JPFisher55 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I found the 4 stars and the TCcommand button. The problem is that they don't seem to work all the time.
Is there any way to just permanently turn off the AI for the human player?
Then you haven't figured out how they work yet, because once mastered they will provide the player with total control, albeit additional micromanagement. Please read this link, TC Commands Revealed, it's the way to at least temporarily turn off, or control the AI.

Once you learn to control, then you learn to un-control, or when to TC off. TC should only be necessary when positioning divisions in the face of the enemy. Once troops are engaged I think most SOW vets opt to TC off brigade officers so they can be useful by supporting and leading their troops. Keeping TC on throughout becomes unfun and can be a micromanagement nightmare.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
JPFisher55
Reactions:

Post by JPFisher55 »

These buttons do not work for me if I am commanding a division or corp; only if I am commanding a brigade.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Maybe it would help if you could give a specific example. Pick a scenario (not a Sandbox game) so we're comparing apples to apples and show us where this doesn't work.

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
JPFisher55
Reactions:

Post by JPFisher55 »

I finally got the tcofficer and atcommon buttons to work for divisions and corps. You must TC the commander, then set his location, facing and the formation that you want; then you click the tcofficer or atcommon button. I was clicking these button first, not last. Thanks to all for your assistance.

Now, I find the game well worth playing. I do have to micro manage the artillery units sometimes. Also, once the combat starts, you may as well just turn the AI on, but you can still move brigades when you want to do so.