D3DERR_INVALIDCALL error message upon openning the game

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
garyknowz
Reactions:

D3DERR_INVALIDCALL error message upon openning the game

Post by garyknowz »

Everything was working fine, and got most of the drop mods to work. But then I installed Prairie Grove and a few others with self-extracting installation, and things went a bit haywire. The inatallation created a second main game folder called NorbSoftDev with another Mod a folder. I extracted the mod files from the new Mod folder, saved them elsewhere, and deleted the second game folder. Ever since, the error message from the subject title pops up, and the game is unable to launch.

Is there an simple fix to the error? Or do I reinstall, and avoid the mods with self-extracting installation? And can I use the mod folders I ripped from the second game folder as a regular drop mod like most of the others?
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL error message upon openning the game

Post by RebBugler »

I believe all the self-extracting mods released before Matrix became NSD's publisher are problematic because they create a second folder that causes the issues experienced in this post. I suggest deleting any folders other than Matrix games associated with GB.

The only replacement fix I know of is with the Prairie Grove Upgrade. Delete the install version and use this one.

Edit: Thought I said this before, and I did with this PREVIOUS POST.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
garyknowz
Reactions:

Re: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL error message upon openning the game

Post by garyknowz »

And it didn’t work. Even after the deletion of the NorbSoftDev folder, the mods still didn’t show up in game. And most of the mods had always been in the proper folder (i.e., Matrix > SOW-G > Mods). I just decided to reinstall and see if the issue repeated itself.

So, after I performed a deep scan of the system for any remaining vestiges of the game, reinstalled and everything seemed to work well for a while. Most mods worked flawlessly. Feeling lucky, I decided to give the self-extracting mods a go once more. The result was far different. The game had NEVER failed you launch last time---I could still play the unmodified game and battle packs. Instead, now I received the error message noted above, and a CTD.

I suppose I was just hoping that armed with a more specific error code, there would be a more seamless solution that didn’t require me to reinstall the game, add-ons, and mods once again. I guess I’ll just do that. Sorry I wasted your time.
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)