Windows 10 - New Findings

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
MarkT
Reactions:

Windows 10 - New Findings

Post by MarkT »

Windows 10 is a very BIG hurdle to cross into. After spending a fairly substantial time troubleshooting all the compatibility modes, we have isolated, a definite pattern.

We had four machines with Windows 10. 2 worked fine two did not. We mirrored settings and could not fix it.
we adjusted compatibility and verified permissions..., it still did not work.
We then compared the actual OS.

The two that did NOT work were Windows 10 PRO
The two that did work were Windows 10 HOME

Even with multiple adjustments in compatibility, in Home it worked, but not in PRO.

So..., We were faced with what to do.

We are in preliminary testing, but, we found one thing that produced an hour plus uninterrupted game in the pro version. (we could only get under 8 minutes previously)

We started the game, then Alt-TAB to desktop. We went to Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and set the game to "Highest" priority. We then opened the game up from the task bar, and ran it in both versions of windows for over an hour.

No problems.

We are still testing, but if people could post as to what version they have (home or PRO), and if it has trouble, that will allow someone to focus in more on the issue.

It definitely seems to be HOME vs PRO. Just saying Windows 10, is not enough... :dry:

Mark
Mark S. Tewes
MarkT
Reactions:

Re: Windows 10 - New Findings

Post by MarkT »

Also, a new update has seemed to change things in Windows 10 Pro.
Both Gettysburg and Waterloo were affected.
Mark S. Tewes
MarkT
Reactions:

Post by MarkT »

Additional tests: (5 complete 2 hour games at High speed)

While the HOME version and PRO, when prioritized ran well, the PRO version when not prioritized did not run.

New tests added:
Home version runs well with other apps running
PRO version does not.

WITHOUT prioritizing, we ran PRO with absolutely NO apps running. It worked... Still testing
WITHOUT prioritizing, we ran PRO with ONLY SKYPE running. It worked... Still testing

Still hoping to get feedback about what version and issues...

Thanks,

Mark
Mark S. Tewes
MarkT
Reactions:

Post by MarkT »

WOW!
I guess no-one uses Windows 10. Or at least to take the time to add comment and help to the testing.
Good..., Now I don't need to monitor this anymore.

Excellent.

CU

Mark
Mark S. Tewes
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Yes, I'm being sensible and avoiding Win10 like it was a ship arriving from a plagued country with a cargo of rats.

I would also really like to get into my Win7 settings to disable the annoying adverts beseeching me to upgrade to Win10.

At least we now have this thread to point Win10 users too if they encounter problems. I therefore appreciate your very helpful work on this Mark. Thank you.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

I have been using Win 10 Home since August with no issues beyond the known settings of compatibility and admin.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

No probs running the sow games in Win10 home here either.
Last edited by voltigeur on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkT
Reactions:

Post by MarkT »

I have both 10 Pro on my main machine, 10 Home on my laptop.

Someone, (Norb) needs to write a batch file, or such to Set the priority of SOWGB.exe to high in windows 10 pro.
even then, sometimes you also have to stop processes.

Or we can just let this and Waterloo die.

I paid extra money to get 7 pro, and now I have to back up to home...

Matrix only responds (so far) with "...did you try compatibility mode?" Despite the repeated detailed explanations...

I am about to release 4 or 5 more maps, but since I cannot really test them, or play them, why bother?
Mark S. Tewes
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

The KS group is always happy to test any map you make Mark.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

MarkT,

I have windows 7 and I'm not leaving it. I do though like your maps and have been waiting for a Chickamuaga map for about 5 years now.