Damaging Buildings

Any technical questions for Waterloo go here!
mcaryf
Reactions:

Damaging Buildings

Post by mcaryf »

I have been looking at various tables in the edit files for artillery and munitions and would like to know how the damage to buildings is evaluated. I do not see it specifically rated so is it a function of some other value?

I know the French actually used carcass (incendiary) shells against Hougoumont but the British also used incendiary shells in this era but not reportedly at Waterloo. Are the French given any particular advantage with respect to artillery versus buildings or is it assumed that the British could also use incendiary shells if the circumstances are different e.g. the French occupy Hougoumont?

Regards

Mike
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Damaging Buildings

Post by Saddletank »

Buildings are not damaged or set on fire in the game. I think artillery only causes losses on the garrison and contributes to the defenders being forced out of the fortified building. I personally haven't tried using artillery vs buildings, infantry firepower seems to be the way to achieve this.

The fortified buildings system in the game is rather weak unfortunately, probably a result of the short development timescale. It covers the basic need for occupying buildings on Nap battlefields though so it works okay.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Saddletank
Buildings certainly display smoke as if on fire and there is a display that seems to show damage which I thought indicated that the building had a reduced capacity for troops occupying it.
Regards

Mike
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I may be wrong then. Hopefully an NSD person will clarify for us both!
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Hi Saddletank
Buildings certainly display smoke as if on fire and there is a display that seems to show damage which I thought indicated that the building had a reduced capacity for troops occupying it.
Regards

Mike
This is correct. If you click a unit in a fort, it shows the fort capacity, but also the damage sustained.

Edit - And yes, only forts can be damaged. And they can only be damaged by artillery fire (the ammo type doesn't matter).
Last edited by Little Powell on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Thanks Little Powell.

Logically the heavy 12 lb guns should be more effective v buildings - do you know if that is the case?

Regards

Mike
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Actually ammo type does matter. From Norb:

If the ammo can kill more than one man, then it can inflict more than one damage point to the fort. 1 pt for each unit the ammo could kill.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Little Powell

That is excellent and I guess as sophisticated as it is reasonable to ask.

Regards

Mike