How to load saved Multiplayer games

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
gazfun202
Reactions:

How to load saved Multiplayer games

Post by gazfun202 »

Ive tried for a few weeks, and even checked out the Manuel :) I so far haven't seen how this can be done. Obviously you must be able to do it, but no luck so far
Have fun above all else
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: How to load saved Multiplayer games

Post by Saddletank »

There is a way to resume the battle from it's current location using the gamedump file. I personally don't know the exact process but I hope MTG will drop in here and give the details as its saved our necks and frustration 100s of times in MP sessions.

There are certain limitations especially with co-op vs AI games but its a good method.

There is also a method to resume a game on a subsequent session with all the dead bodies in place so you can have multi-day scenarios. Mitra used this neat trick in a series of linked scenarios once using the Gettysburg game so I presume the process is the same for WL.
Last edited by Saddletank on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

To save the battle and pick up again where you left off, type '~dumpscen', (without the quotes), while in the game and press Enter. The game will create a new scenario file with the units in their current locations and current strength, morale and fatigue. The file can be found in SOWWL\scenarios\ScenSave. Also note how much time has elapsed in the battle.

If there hasn't been much fighting yet, then you can just use the file to replace the one in your scenario. If there has been fighting, you'll have to open scenario file and remove all the units that have surrendered. There will be a Surrendered flag in the Flags column. Otherwise they will be back on the field.

Open scenario.ini and change the starttime to reflect the amount of time that has already elapsed.

Shortcomings:
This method works best if the battle was created in Hunt Them Down mode. If so, all the units will be where they were when the game froze. If you are playing in a different mode, normally seen in co-op games, then the units will spawn in their default division formation centered on the division commanders. That may well lead to unanticipated consequences. If it does, your only alternative is to reopen scenario.ini and change the sandbox= value to 0, (Hunt Them Down mode).

Although the unit strength will have the casualties subtracted from the original value, the game will think these units are at full strength. Units that may have been on the verge of routing due to casualties may no longer be in danger of that.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
gazfun202
Reactions:

Post by gazfun202 »

I typed in the ~dumpscen and I got a response like "unknown command" I see the dumpded file I can see the saved game file but cant load it.
I dont understand why it has to be so difficult to load a saved mulitplayer game and continue on, most other softwate dont have this degree of difficulty. I mean isn't it a basic, thing?
Have fun above all else
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

If you got the 'unknown command' response, then you must have typed it incorrectly. Also there would not be a file in the ScenSave folder. Once you create the file, you have to move it into your original scenario folder where it replaces the one you started with. You then start the scenario in MP as you would do normally with players picking their original commands.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
gazfun202
Reactions:

Post by gazfun202 »

Its a pity that you cant load a MP saved game.
Have fun above all else
etf7506
Reactions:

Post by etf7506 »

I agree....too bad. Mind you the games I have played have been very very stable.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

You can load a saved MP game - see MTGs explanation of how to do it.
gazfun202
Reactions:

Post by gazfun202 »

Yeah Im sorry I think it is assumed by MTG that I know what screen he is talking about to do this. Obviously I dont have the right screen. Ive tried numerous time to do it by the way. Perhaps a screenshot would help?
Have fun above all else
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

There isn't a screen shot to take, to generate the dump file for the scenario is a key press and typing "dumpscen" without the quotes.

MTGs instructions didn't work for me at first but that is because he has a US keyboard layout and mine is UK. For me the tilde key on the SoW console comes up when I press the upper case @ key.

I can only suggest you keep experimenting to find which key for you gives you the ~ character in the top left corner of the game screen when in battle.