A couple of solutions

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
MarkT
Reactions:

A couple of solutions

Post by MarkT »

hey guys...
As many know, I have been a bit critical of things in the NSD games. Well its time to offer solutions.
Here are two suggestions for what I call "Full Swing decisions". These may apply to waterloo also.

Full swing decisions are decisions made with good intention that went from wrong to wrong.

1. Couriers - Originally, couriers travelled by roads, now they have been changed to travel overland. This is a classic cases of a full swing decision. Both are correct, and both are wrong. In small games it makes no sense to have couriers move by roads, and in large games overland often take couriers through enemy lines and take too long to reach the receiver. Couriers WOULD travel by roads. Technically both are correct.

Solution - Put a toggle in the message system "Courier to travel by road yes or no". The sender gets a choice. Best of both worlds.

2. Zones of Control - Another full swing decision that was obviously needed that is incredibly frustrating. To watch a regiment march a half mile around your force to go 50 feet is very frustrating.
It is not only frustrating, but if not caught, it could be a game changer.

Solution - Allow passage of a unit within the same division or brigade. That way units may freely move within the structure of the organized parent unit (controlled by the player). But, no outside unit passes through, as intended.

These are just two. Are there more?
Last edited by MarkT on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark S. Tewes
the reb
Reactions:

Re: A couple of solutions

Post by the reb »

Even if solutions are offered to ACW game issues, how does it get done?
the reb....
MarkT
Reactions:

Post by MarkT »

Well, I assume if enough people point things out as an issue, then it may be addressed. A lot of people got the courier system changed. From one way to the complete opposite. So it can be done.
There were changes made at certain times...

Maybe the lack of response is people don't care anymore. Windows 10 is going to force this game to disappear, as well as Waterloo. Maybe They simply do not want to perpetuate this.. After all, I am sure it is not a top moneymaker anymore. Who knows, all I can do is try.

A new Civil War product will only carry over the same old engine. It is very old. some features of Waterloo are nice. But again, Windows 10.

So we try to fix it from the outside.

Some people don't like to ruffle feathers. I am sure that I have more than ruffled a few feathers, but I still want to play, and would still pay for an upgrade.
Mark S. Tewes
MarkT
Reactions:

Post by MarkT »

Answering Reb, I thought of something that may be a moneymaker for Norbsoft, and fix some issues.

How about a pre-order campaign?

Norbsoft sets a $$ goal to re-write Gettysburg.

1. People decide if they would like SOS Gettysburg revived.
2. Start a pre-order campaign. A pay for, or a promise to pay, system is set up. (other game companies do it.)
3. All thoughts and fixes are collected and hashed out on the Forum.
4. Norb re-writes Gettysburg with fixes and gets paid to do so.
5. All existing scenarios and mods work with new system. NO new content!!! so no new design is necessary. (Unless they wish to add a Campaign system or such.)

This would be paid up front.

I would be willing to pay for Gettysburg II. Anyone else?
Mark S. Tewes
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

My intention is not to directly forgive the game for the small quirks, but I'm not following you on some of your complaints.

The game did change the way that the couriers work, but the couriers will still use roads until they plot a path to their destination.

I can play a hundred games and never ever get a single courier killed, this is due to the fact that the couriers sort of cheat.

Basically, you can place your Commander in the direct center of your Army, and all couriers are dispatched from there.

So, as long as you the player control the roads leading too your Army and Brigade Commanders, the couriers are safe.

This is why I say that this is a cheat, the courier should be sent from the location of the sender, I've been complaining about that for years.

The Windows 10 Home version works great, not only with this game but also with Arma3, and Silent Hunter 4.

The difference between Windows Home and Windows Pro - seems to be that the Pro Version uses a different type of encryption.

So, I doubt that Windows 10 Home Version - will ever force that encryption on this version.

Have you tried researching that encryption to see if that is the problem that you are encountering?

Also - I will add that Windows 10 - does seem to have problems with the Map-Making-Tools but I think that that has something to do with
the DirectX files.

Other than that I have encountered no other problems using this version of Windows.

I'm just guessing but I doubt that "Norb" will ever go back and redo the Gettysburg game on the same engine, this game is probably done.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
MarkT
Reactions:

Post by MarkT »

Davinci,
Yes, you are probably correct....The game is probably dead.
Win 10 - looked at everything, but I will revisit.
Mark S. Tewes
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Davinci,
The game is probably dead.
Done, but not dead. As long modders keep releasing high quality maps like you do, the game will still be active for many years to come. :)