Problem loading demo

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Problem loading demo

Post by RebBugler »

All I can say is that if you purchase the game we'll help you through getting it installed. The link that ADukes provided leads to multiple links, and each leads to eventual fixes. So, I feel strongly that this issue with your setup can be resolved, eventually.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
sundown101
Reactions:

Post by sundown101 »

Well, I took the plunge and purchased the game from Matrix. Download went smoothly, uninstalled the last attempt at the demo and ran the install. Everything seemed ok and the launcher opened fine. Clicked on the PLAY button, same error and same error codes in the log file.

Looking at one of the old posts listed above, I tried creating a whole new user on my system and gave the new user admin rights. Uninstalled from the old user, reinstalled as the new user, same error.

Any ideas on what to try next?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Since you took the plunge...I'm back. Just one idea at the moment, I've got to dig in that link some more before I can suggest anything further.

In the meantime try this:

Go into SOWGB\Base\Music and rename the file SOWGB_Intro.mp3. It's a long shot but works for some with a conflicting sound card.
sundown101
Reactions:

Post by sundown101 »

I tried renaming the file, same error. Anything else to try?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Well, I took the plunge and purchased the game from Matrix. Download went smoothly, uninstalled the last attempt at the demo and ran the install. Everything seemed ok and the launcher opened fine. Clicked on the PLAY button, same error and same error codes in the log file.

Looking at one of the old posts listed above, I tried creating a whole new user on my system and gave the new user admin rights. Uninstalled from the old user, reinstalled as the new user, same error.

Any ideas on what to try next?
The statement below fixed one user, it's similar to what you did, but not the "Uninstalled from the old user" part. Please confirm that you followed this same procedure when you made the new user account.
What I did was create a new user account, made it the administrator, deleted the old account
and voila! The game works.
Link

In addition, this follow up of a successful fix:
Update: I wasn't able to get it to install under the new user since it wasn't set up as a admin as I originally thought.

It does run fine if I install the game under my normal (admin) account and then do a RUN-AS command with the new user. So far so good...I have no idea why my main user account won't run the game as it runs all other games just fine. But, it seems just happy as can be with the run-as the new one...very odd.
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sundown101
Reactions:

Post by sundown101 »

I did everything but deleting the old user. I've got too much stuff there to delete right now, maybe later.

I decided to try a different route, loading it out my old Windows XP machine that I rarely use. Other than having to shut off my virus scan, it seems to be working fine. I am mainly playing brigade level scenarios for now, so I am not taxing the machine too hard.

When I decide to clean up the users on my primary computer, I may be back for more helping loading it there. For now, thanks again.

Sundown101