Problem opening SOWG

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
cliometrician
Reactions:

Problem opening SOWG

Post by cliometrician »

This just happened. Normally, I go to my menu and double-click on the kepi to open SOWG. The size has always been 1,620 kb. Now there is no kepi, just a blank file labeled SOWGB.SOW and it is 1,890 kb. When I try to open it I get a prompt asking me what app I want to use to open it. That's never happened before.

When I click on properties I get this message: "You'll need a new app to open this .SOW file"

What has happened?! Can someone help me open my game? It's been opening fine for the past two years. Thanks in advance.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Problem opening SOWG

Post by Davinci »

cliometrician - I think that you are talking about the icon listed in the first picture.

You should use a shortcut placed on the Desktop instead of using that icon to open the game. But, I would guess that everyone does things a different way.

Click on the Windows icon in the lower left-hand-corner to open a window like in picture two.

This will show some of the most recent programs that have been opened. If this works just drag the icon from that window onto the Desktop to open the SOWGB game.
The attachment 1_2016-04-03.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 2_2016-04-03.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
2_2016-04-03.jpg
2_2016-04-03.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 133 times
1_2016-04-03.jpg
1_2016-04-03.jpg (120.27 KiB) Viewed 133 times
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Davinci, I pulled up the same screens as yours but SOW was not under the "most used" heading. I've been playing it 4 or 5 times a week for two years on this computer, so I don't know why it is not on the list.

When I go to the bottom left to "All Apps" I find SOW but the icon is a blank sheet of paper.

What else can I do??
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Hmm, OK somehow you have probably moved the SOWGB icon by clicking on it, that can sometimes happen if another file is open.

I'm not exactly sure how you can retrieve it, but you can also see if it is in the Recycle Bin .

But, the Full game is basically the Demo game except the full game uses the code that you have paid for, with that said just Re-Download the demo.

Install the Demo in another Directory so as not to over-write your game. Then just move the SOWGB icon into the game that you have always played.

To put that another way, if the game installs onto the Matrix Games folder - just change the name to Matrix Games2 . This will not overwrite your original game or your mods.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that this should work.

davinci
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Please pardon my ignorance, but where do I find the Demo to install? Do I go through Matrix, or is it somewhere in my SOWG folder?

Thanks, Davinci
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Look at the very top of this page.

But, before you do that, use Google to see how to do a step-by-step Search of your HDD.

Basically, each version of Windows is slightly different, so what works for Me might not work for You.

If the SOWGB.exe has been moved, the Search should provide the location of it. If you find it just move it back into the correct folder.

davinci
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

And I'm back to the drawing board. I found a lot of SOWG files when I did a search, but none that applied to this problem. I did find a SOW file in my Recycle bin, but it was the blank icon and it would not open.

I then installed the Demo, copied the icon into my original game and it failed to open anything. I tried pinning it to the task bar, but that just opened up the Demo game with none of my mods listed.

I'm officially labeling this as a crisis of the first order. Is there anything left to try?
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I tried pinning it to the task bar, but that just opened up the Demo game with none of my mods listed.
Did the Demo Game give you the option of entering a Code?

If you can get the Demo to turn into your regular game that will still work, you would then just copy the Mods Folder into the Demo \ Regular game.

Perhaps, one of the Team-Members has a better option for you to get the game back up and running!

davinci
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

No, I was not given the option of entering a code with the Demo. I'm still trying things. Thanks for your help.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I have no clue what's causing this issue, but I'd avoid the Demo route. I think your best bet is download the game from Matrix again, uninstall your present copy and reinstall the new download. Save your mod folder and Work folder to use in the new install once it's set up. All you need is your GB registration code to get a new download.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...