More problems opening SOWG

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
cliometrician
Reactions:

Re: More problems opening SOWG

Post by cliometrician »

No, there is not a SOWGB.exe in the folder--I just thought there was supposed to be. The only exe file is: autorun.exe and when I double-click on it I get the same message and banner as when I double-click on the kepi shortcut ico
Last edited by cliometrician on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

Then this means the exe has been quarantined again at the moment of execution (or during an autoscan) or never go out from quarantine. Can you find it here?
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

SOWG was quarantined, but I restored it. I thought that would do the trick, but it did not. Can't understand why it's still not working.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

You need to create a exclusion rule in mcafee for the .exe otherwise it will quarantine it every time
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

I have tried to figure out how to do so, but no luck so far. I believe I have it excluded in McAfee, but not sure. This is getting beyond my expertise.

To clarify: should I have a file in my directory entitled: SOWGB.exe
It was in my previous game that crashed, but it is not currently in my SOW foler.
Last edited by cliometrician on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Here's an old thread, but I think it's still pertinent from other articles that I read:
https://community.mcafee.com/thread/33222?tstart=0

Basically it says that you can't use an exe that McAfee won't accept. In order to use the exe you must turn off the real time scanner and this allows you to remove it from quarantine. But it's just temp because turning the scanner back on quarantines the exe again...yuk!

If this is your issue and it fixes you then I'm at a loss why other McAfee users haven't reported this. I forget stuff, but this is a biggie.

And, if this works, why did McAfee all of a sudden not accept it? An Update?
Last edited by RebBugler on Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

I'm not even sure if McAfee is the problem, although I suspect it is. But 2 years ago on this same computer running McAfee the game downloaded with no problem.

I'm just going to disable McAfee and see if that works.
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

My problem is solved--the game now opens. But I had to take two steps: I uninstalled McAfee. Next, I downloaded the game from another link on the Matrix site, not from the address I was given earlier. Don't know which one did it, I'm just glad it's over.

Thank you to all who helped me; your suggestions helped me winnow down the problem to its solution.
ferragus
Reactions:

Post by ferragus »

Hello!

I'm having the exact same problem! Its McAfee for sure...
There must be a way for the .exe to not be considered malign.

I'm not very much willing to unninstall my antivirus for which I have payed more than for the game, because the exe is beeing taken for a virus, that just does not make sense... There must be another way! Any help?

I've unninstalled the game, and it runned fine again, untill I've restarted the pc...

Thanks
ferragus
Reactions:

Post by ferragus »

[img]file:///C:/Users/Jo%C3%A3o/Desktop/McAfee%20report.png[/img]

SOWGB.exe Is beeing classified as Artemis! 7FDAEE2A0187 and B86E54D20DEC and quarentined.
I cannot restore the file and so I cannot send it to McAfee to report as false.
I'm trying to send a png file with the antivirus report...
Last edited by ferragus on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.