More problems opening SOWG

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
cliometrician
Reactions:

More problems opening SOWG

Post by cliometrician »

Taking advice from this site, and from the Matrix Help Desk, I uninstalled SOWG (after saving my Mods and Work folders) and downloaded the game from Matrix. The game would still not open. Matrix said that it was probably because the program had been quarantined. When I tried to fix it, SOWG would still not open. Here are the following messages I then sent to the Matrix Help Desk:

>Re: your recent advice to check my anti-virus/anti-malware, I'm afraid I am out of my depth here, but here is what I tried. I have Macafee security. SOWG was in the quarantine list and I deleted it. Reboot and game would not open. I went back to Mcafee and went to internet connections for programs. SOWG was there and it was set for "Use designated ports (recommended)." I changed that to "open ports to home and work networks." Rebooted. Game would not open.<

>I went to Windows firewall and it lists apps allowed to communitcate through firewall. SOW is not on the list. But to add it, there is a space for me to put in the path and click add. But I don't know that path name. Is it SOWG?<

>Now, when I click on the kepi in the toolbar, a message comes up asking if I want to allow this program to make changes to my computer---I press yes and up pops the same banner I've been getting: Play-Scourge of War Gettysburg. But double-clicking on that does not start the game.<

I have limited knowledge of Windows 10, and only partially know if anything I'm doing is correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want the game to open.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: More problems opening SOWG

Post by RebBugler »

>I went to Windows firewall and it lists apps allowed to communitcate through firewall. SOW is not on the list. But to add it, there is a space for me to put in the path and click add. But I don't know that path name. Is it SOWG?<
To get the path right click on the sowgb shortcut you use to open the game. Select Properties and the Target line is your path.

Don't know about the McAfee situation, but I'd think you should have had an option to take sowgb out of quarantine, not delete it. Usually an option to allow the app access is available, and not the ports options being the issue here.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Thank you for the info, I'm still plugging away at it.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

Are you sure the game don't open for the mcafee? Do it open and close with a message error or the screen doens't appears at all without any error message?
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

My latest attempts to open the game: I disabled all startup programs, but the game still would not open. I uninstalled and then installed again. I restored SOWG from McAfee quarantine. Nothing changed. When I double-click on the kepi icon I get a message that reads: "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your PC?" I click YES and up pops a banner that says, among other things: PLAY Scourge of War Gettysburg. I click on the banner and nothing happens.

I've followed advice from here and from the Matrix Help Desk. I must be missing some step. When I got this computer 2 years ago with Windows 10 I had no problem at all connecting. I don't know what has changed.

I am at my wit's end. Does anyone have any ideas? Hep will be greatly appreciated.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Try this:

Go into SOWGB\Base\Music and rename the file SOWGB_Intro.mp3. It's a long shot but works for some.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Will do.
Last edited by cliometrician on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to delete the message
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

Ok, I renamed the SOWGB_Intro.mp3 file. Still can't open the game. Thank you Reb for trying to help. I'm trying every suggestion I get, from here and from Matrix.
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

I just noticed that in my Scourge of War - Gettysburg folder there is no folder labeled SOWGB.exe. I thought I always had a file by that label in my previous game. Should such a file exist?
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

I just noticed that in my Scourge of War - Gettysburg folder there is no folder labeled SOWGB.exe. I thought I always had a file by that label in my previous game. Should such a file exist?
No there's not a directory sowgb; is the file SOWGB.exe in the main directory ?
"Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your PC?"
This is a very strange message, but I understood when you execute the matrix intro bar (which is not the main game but a starting menu)

What happen if you click directly on SOWGB.exe from the game folder?
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/