Freezing commanders and units in place, in GB

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Freezing commanders and units in place, in GB

Post by Davinci »

1. Is a minimum speed for all units effectively hard-coded in GB, which prevents us freezing them in place?
2. Is there a workaround available?
3. How can we modify the time it takes for units to change status (eg artillery limbering or unlimbering), and are there any limits on the time-settings?
Martin - How is everything going, I see that you are still plugging away at modding, which is good!
1 - I think that the game is Hard-Coded so that there is no value that will prevent a unit from moving.
2 - Probably Not!
To slow down the movements of any unit I sometimes use the unitgfx \ Timing Column . I haven't tried it on what you are doing, but I use it for slowing down the firing sequence and the death falling of units.
3 - Have you looked at the unitattributes file, it does have a setting to alter the limber \ unlimber timings.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

If you don't mind 2D tepee sprites, I believe you could use waypoint objectives as 'can't move' objects that can be captured for points. Once secured they'll disappear depending on the time set. Substitute a tepee sprite for the objective waypoint sprite (referenced from the gfx file), fix the elevation at ground level and see what happens. If it works they can be placed in clusters representing a village.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Martin - How is everything going, I see that you are still plugging away at modding, which is good!
1 - I think that the game is Hard-Coded so that there is no value that will prevent a unit from moving.
2 - Probably Not!
To slow down the movements of any unit I sometimes use the unitgfx \ Timing Column . I haven't tried it on what you are doing, but I use it for slowing down the firing sequence and the death falling of units.
3 - Have you looked at the unitattributes file, it does have a setting to alter the limber \ unlimber timings.

davinci
Hi Davinci! I'm well thanks and always good to hear from you.
You may well be right re 1. and 2., but it would be nice to get that confirmed.
Thanks for heads-up re unitattributes. Will investigate that.

Martin
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

If you don't mind 2D tepee sprites, I believe you could use waypoint objectives as 'can't move' objects that can be captured for points. Once secured they'll disappear depending on the time set. Substitute a tepee sprite for the objective waypoint sprite (referenced from the gfx file), fix the elevation at ground level and see what happens. If it works they can be placed in clusters representing a village.
Thanks Reb. That's a very clever thought.

It's estimated the village at LBH was c1,000 tepees, so that's a lot of clusters. But it's going to be a lot however we represent them. We'll look into your idea and see if we can make it work.

Martin
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

We've had some very helpful suggestions on workarounds we might try, and many thanks to RebBugler, Davinci and Saddletank. Unfortunately all appear to have some practical limitations, and/or unwanted side-effects.

The following questions remain outstanding, and it would be really good if we could get a formal response from NSD please. If nothing else it might perhaps save us a lot of time in trying to attain the unattainable B) :

1. Is a minimum speed for all units effectively hard-coded in GB, which prevents us freezing them in place?

2. Is there a workaround available?

This raises a more general issue. GB remains a great game, and there are a small number of us still working on producing new or updated mods for it, which will no doubt help to prolong it's longevity.

What would be great is if NSD could nominate a member of the team to field queries such as this going forward. They presumably would not know all the answers, but would know who else in the team to farm the questions out to. This would be a much valued continued support for the modding community. Is this possible please, guys?

Martin (J)
Last edited by Martin James on Tue May 24, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.