Scenario editor for Multiplayer?

A new scenario/battle editor is in development and should be following hot on the heels of Waterloo - any questions can go here.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

I don't understand why this tool is made only for SP?????? Very confusing. Is it that hard to make it for MP also? For people who want to play MP what message is this to them?

How can the scenario files generated by this tool be manipulated for MP play?
johnd5555
Reactions:

Post by johnd5555 »

why would you EVER create something just for single player mode in the first place ???? Single player = dead end enjoyment at some point, whereas building in functionality for multiplayer use opens up the game to long term use by that many more buyers....

Just don't understand the business plan / strategy I guess
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I'm not a scenario designer but i will take a guess until one of them spots this post.

You could certainly use the scenario editor for picking forces and positioning troops but as far as I am aware, scripting was always impossible in multiplayer, the issue being with sync between players so there is limited MP options.

Having said that we provide MP scenarios with Waterloo so I know a certain amount can be done. I think it is a matter of flagging them for MP or not in one of the scenario files.
pakfront
Reactions:

Post by pakfront »

I use the Scenario Editor all the time to create MP scenarios. Just save them and then email or Dropbox the scenarios to your buddies. The scripts won't fire, but it works great for placing troops and objectives, and the AI will usually act in a reasonable way. In fact, a friend of mine and I will create MP scenarios to play coop vs the AI.
Last edited by pakfront on Thu May 12, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Why send the scenarios to your online friends? Only the host needs the scenario.

OTOH I am scratching my head a bit about the complaints that the scenario editor can't be used for MP, when MP uses sandbox, and the editor certainly can make sandbox scenarios.
Last edited by Saddletank on Thu May 12, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
con20or
Reactions:

Re: Scenario editor for Multiplayer?

Post by con20or »

I've moved these into a new thread of their own.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

I must have done something wrong in my initial testing. I have a scenario working in MP now. I'll fully admit when I am wrong and on this one I am wrong.

My apologies, great tool and it does work in MP. Thanks.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

It is a great tool - glad you got it sorted.
pakfront
Reactions:

Post by pakfront »

Why send the scenarios to your online friends? Only the host needs the scenario.
True! I just put them on Dropbox out of habit; but as you mention it is totally not required for gameplay.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

Unofficially of course, how are maps added?