Problem patching?

Any technical questions for Waterloo go here!
Capt Saucier
Reactions:

Problem patching?

Post by Capt Saucier »

I notice that the red number for the time to hold the objective counts down to zero, then starts over again. Is the objective won at this point or did the condition to win not get fulfilled and this is why the clock starts over?

Also, is there a particular way to order a unit to take a structure? Do you order the unit into column? In a scenario I am playing that I downloaded from the Matrix site, the farmhouse complex near Waterloo does not seem to want to be taken. The unit will move through even when I TC and specify a structure or the middle of the yard.

Last question, It seems that corps commanders cannot order the entire corps to move even when I specify a location then a formation. Division commanders do not have this problem. Is there a different way to order the entire corps to move?

Thanks
con20or
Reactions:

Problem patching?

Post by con20or »

Some objectives time out after being captured once - some continuously repeat, but you have to hold themn for each time-limit to get the points.

On the other two queries - are you fully patched up?

- There was a problem in one of the forts on one of the scenarios but we fixed it. Same goes for the corps movement - you should be able to use it
- From the last changelog: Added two corps level formations per army. Corps movement is now possible through the in-game context menu or via the movement map.
Capt Saucier
Reactions:

Problem patching?

Post by Capt Saucier »

I thought that I was fully patched as I bought the game from Matrix in January 2016 and loaded it by the disk they sent. It looks like the last patch was in November 2015? I also think that I used to be able to order a corps to move when I first got the game. About a month ago, I began using the Grog toolbar and since then I have noticed that I cannot order an entire corps to move. So last night I went back to the original version and restarted the game but this made no difference.

Then I exited from the game and clicked on the update button on the initial screen that starts the game. This brings me to a screen that says an update is available. However, trying to update causes a failure. I have tried this multiple times and each time there is a failure to update. I have also noticed that frequently, French cavalry charges allied cavalry and the result is many casualties for the French and zero casualties for the allies. However, this does not always happen, but frequently enough to notice. I think there was a post regarding a bug that may cause this but that the bug is fixed.

Is it possible that my version has somehow reverted to a previous version? Any thoughts? Is there a way to check the version on my computer? I looked and cannot find it in the game itself.

Thanks for replying to the last post.

Mike
con20or
Reactions:

Problem patching?

Post by con20or »

I've moved this post to the technical section. Sounds like you have a few problems - if you go to the multiplayer screen it will say the version you currently have installed.
Capt Saucier
Reactions:

Re: Problem patching?

Post by Capt Saucier »

The multiplayer screen says I have version 1.0005, so not up to date. Should I try to re-install using the disk I received from Matrix, since I cannot seem to get the latest patch? Or should I contact Matrix see what they recommend?
Capt Saucier
Reactions:

Post by Capt Saucier »

I think I solved the problem. I went to Matrix site and looked for patches. I saw 2 patches for SowWL, so I downloaded the first patch, 1.006 and that worked. Then I downloaded patch 1.0043 and that worked. Problem with ordering a corps seems solved, so I assume the patch is working.

Thanks!
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Glad you got it working. Another patch coming in next few weeks, so check back again soon.
Capt Saucier
Reactions:

Post by Capt Saucier »

The patched game certainly seems to work better but I do not understand the logic of having to win objectives and then continuously maintain the troop levels around the objective until the end of the game in order to win the objective.

I played the CorpsFight scenario that requires 5000 men to hold each objective. I take an objective and then wait the time limit. Red clock counts down and starts over repeatedly until the game is over. It would seem to me to be more realistic if, once the objective is taken, and if the objective is not subsequently lost, then the points should be awarded. Otherwise, the troops must just sit at the objective rather then be used to inflict more casualties on the enemy.

I understand the benefits of having objectives which need to be won, but to me the real goal should be to defeat the enemy army.
CaptainAndrew
Reactions:

Post by CaptainAndrew »

I think you might be a tad confused on the goals of most battles in the game.

Basically it's all about getting more points than the enemy. You can recieve these points by putting troops on the objective and waiting for the red counter to go down. Each time it does, you recieve some points (the exact amount you can see by hovering your mouse over the golden star on the map). Another way to recieve those points is to deal more damage to the enemy's forces than they do to you. It's up to you to choose how to do it.

The objectives may also grant the troops that are standing on it some ammunition, a morale and fatigue boost every time that counter goes down.

There are also objectives that disappear after the clock runs down and you only recieve the bonuses once.
Capt Saucier
Reactions:

Post by Capt Saucier »

Thanks very much for the reply. I did not understand that points were awarded for each time the clock winds down. I did notice that the objective is not awarded in this case, until, I suppose the game is over and your army is still holding the objective. Is this correct?