Newbie: What is the OOB and how do I utilize it?

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
longstreetsredemption
Reactions:

Newbie: What is the OOB and how do I utilize it?

Post by longstreetsredemption »

I'm new to the game, SOWG, and still learning the game. I'm getting the hang of Brigade level (maybe even Division level). Anything above these two becomes too hectic for me. Meaning, I have a hard time managing the corps, divisions, when in large scale battles. I have a feeling it comes down to not understanding how to use TC and the OOB. Could anyone share with me what the OOB is and how I might be able to better manage a corps or army? Thanks
the reb
Reactions:

Re: Newbie: What is the OOB and how do I utilize it?

Post by the reb »

OOB is Order of Battle, a listing of the Army Command Organization. Knowing the OOB of your army is very important for keeping Corps, Divisions together. It's also important in knowing your opposition strengths and talents too. In Sandbox for example, the OOB is listed on the page where you select map and OOB. You get a bonus when your troops are near there leader, so get to know your OOB by memory. Hope this helps, it's the best I can do to make it simple.....There are threads that explain how to make and modify OOB if you wish. Web searches are neat to review too. Not sure I can explain the relation between OOB and TC.Have fun.....

the reb,
Last edited by the reb on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forget something
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

I play mostly Sandbox, that is I play against the AI. I guess there could be a realism argument between playing Courier or not, but I micro manage, which if you feel you enjoy the game this way, you might find this helpful.

In Sandbox, it's a must to micro manage down to Brigade Commander or you will have Regiments that will advance or wander off towards the enemy, and in most cases, you'll see high loses with no gain. I normally begin the battle and advance under Corp Commander Control. If I find ground that I like or know the enemy is approaching (they approach by roads) I then Control down to Division Level. Hopefully having enough time, I then control down to Regiment Level, but leaving my artillery still under Division Level Control. Once the battle lines are drawn, I then control my artillery individually as they can wander off at times.

There may be better ways to control or play the game under Sandbox, but this way makes me happy. I don't think the AI is sending couriers on every move they make...

It's a good game....
enjoy
the reb
longstreetsredemption
Reactions:

Post by longstreetsredemption »

Thanks Reb, I enjoy this game tremendously. Where I am finding challenges is in the beginning when I try to set my lines. I feel like all my divisions, brigades and regiments are all smashed together and not set correctly. Any tips on how to correctly set your battle lines? Thanks!
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

I feel your pain..... This was something I asked (several times) to be fixed, and as important to the Sandbox Game as it is, I was ignored....I believe the "Powers of Be" were busy working on a new production release and couldn't find the time to fix what was already sold as there is no profit in that.....(Sorry RebBugler if you find this remark sarcastic, but tell me it ain't so....I still love the game, just was let down some)

Now to answer your question....You have start the battle and manually organize your Corps.....Follow my instructions, send out cavalry scouts to track down the enemy and don't wait too long to get to Brigade Level Control. Although on a 10 mile map, I've had up to 30 minutes game time pass before the enemy arrived. Your enemy will approach you from the main roads. You'll get the feel for it after a while but get at least one Brigade solidly in position at several roads. Get your infantry in the woods nearby if possible. This support will give you time to further organize our army.

Have fun,
the reb