Chickamauga - Battlefield Photos

Little Powell
Reactions:

Chickamauga - Battlefield Photos

Post by Little Powell »

I visited the Chickamauga Battlefield last week. I can't stress enough how beautiful this park is. It is magnificently well cared for and preserved. Since this was a battle that was mostly fought in woods, I wasn't expecting much as far as site lines. But for the open areas of the battlefield, where many of the key engagements took place, one can get a good sense of why those areas were chosen for their military value.

Anyway, here are a few pictures I took of my favorite areas of the park. Hope you enjoy.

This was taken looking South towards the Georgia monument. To the right of the view would be the center of the Union line--the Confederates would attack from the left of the view.

From the area of the Union center looking North. This is the area where Union general Rosecrans famously ordered troops from his center to plug a gap to the north, just as Confederate general Longstreet was starting his attack on the center. This would ultimately lead the Union to defeat.

The same area looking west towards the Confederate positions (Georgia monument is visible).

Further south in the area of the breakthrough at the Brotherton Cabin. Longstreet concentrated his attack on this cabin.

Probably the most photographed feature of the field, the Wilder Brigade Monument.

The area where Wilder's Brigade repulsed several Confederate attacks. A heck of a position to hold, especially when you're armed with Spencer Repeaters.

Atop the Wilder Monument looking west over the Glenn Field.

Atop the Wilder Monument giving you a good indication of how high it is. My son is that tiny ant on the path. Image

Looking northwest towards Snodgrass hill. One can see why Thomas "The Rock of Chickamauga" chose this as a strong position to defend.

Atop Snodgrass hill looking northeast. Again, you can't pick a much better position to defend. High ground with both wooded and open areas to place artillery.

Last edited by Little Powell on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stonewalljackson
Reactions:

Re: Chickamauga - Battlefield Photos

Post by stonewalljackson »

Great thanks. Next step, do a game on the battle :cheer: .
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
southern solider about northern general sherman

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".
northern newspaper about the death of stonewall jackson