153rd Anniversary of Gettysburg- July 1st

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Irish Brigade
Reactions:

153rd Anniversary of Gettysburg- July 1st

Post by Irish Brigade »

Post anything you want under this topic to honor specific units,generals,and soldiers who fought the first day of battle.

These men are our great-great-great-grandfathers, brothers in arms, and fellow Americans. North or South we must not forget their sacrifices.
Irish Brigade
Reactions:

Re: 153rd Anniversary of Gettysburg- July 1st

Post by Irish Brigade »

I just accidentally posted this in Waterloo. Is there a way we can get this thread moved to Gettysburg Discussion?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I just accidentally posted this in Waterloo. Is there a way we can get this thread moved to Gettysburg Discussion?
Done.

Thanks for posting this.
Irish Brigade
Reactions:

Post by Irish Brigade »

In honor of the 143rd Pennsylvania. The regiment held the Union line at the railroad cut despite eventually loosing about half its men. It was the last regiment to retreat or fallback from the Union positions near the
McPherson Ridge/Farm line.

http://i.gettysburgdaily.com/imgs/Buckt ... 101006.jpg[/img_size]
Last edited by Irish Brigade on Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Brigade
Reactions:

Post by Irish Brigade »

The picture of the man from the 143rd Pennsylvania is Benjamin Crippen, the flag bearer of the unit at Gettysburg. When his unit was falling back, he was at the rear of the unit with the flag and was continually shaking his other fist at the enemy, taunting them and shouting at them defiantly. He was shot and killed soon after,and a member of the 143rd went back to retrieve the flag and was successful. His bravery was noted by AP Hill whose remark was written down by Arthur Fremantle, a British observer. The 143rd monument on the battlefield bears Crippen's image and is said to rest on the exact spot he fell.
Baldwin
Reactions:

Post by Baldwin »

After thinking a lot about it I would say peaceful secession is the best way to honor them. They fought very hard, bleed and died because the north and south were so polarized. Our country is in that state again. Rather than repeat those mistakes we should learn from them and do a peaceful exit like Brexit. Our British cousins showed that countries can exit a union peacefully. Whichever countries don't see eye to eye with the federal government should leave. They can band together and form the FSA (Free States of America). Something to reflect on this Independence Day.