Gettysburg 2017?

exp101
Reactions:

Re: Gettysburg 2017?

Post by exp101 »

Just finalized my hotel & car rentals for the fall trip. Will arrive in Gettysburg Fri pm, Oct 20 (driving from Dulles). Three nights in the G-burg area. Leaving Monday morning (10/23) for Antietam/Sharpsburg. One night in area (Harper's Ferry, actually). Fly home Tuesday late afternoon.

Am sacrificing some convenience for cheap. Will stay in Chambersburg for the Gettysburg leg of the trip -- and at Harpers Ferry while exploring Antietam. Wife won't be traveling with me after all, so will probably pass on the horseback riding this time. Looking forward to it. Hope to see lots of GCM'ers, Norbsofters and others there!
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Any recommendations for possible gathering places in or near Gettysburg for:

Friday evening 10/20/2017?

Saturday morning breakfast before heading to the battlefield (Colbert's suggestion)?

Saturday evening?

What about touring the field itself on Saturday and/or Sunday? Options include:
1) Everyone's on their own (since individual interests will differ)
2) Go together using some pre-agreed itinerary?
3) All chip in to rustle up a battlefield guide?

Thoughts?
States
Reactions:

Post by States »

Have a good time folks, drink one for me, hope you do it again in a year or two and I'd be there for sure. Either way I'll be visiting those battlefields after I become a bit more established. Edit- Maybe try Chickamauga or Shiloh next time, those are in my back yard. I'm sure Razorback could even provide free lodging. :cheer:
Last edited by States on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
StephenColbert27
Reactions:

Post by StephenColbert27 »

I am good with whatever we end up doing. I will probably just tag with whomever, as I have been to Gettysburg several times to see the field. As for breakfast there are any number of good places to go to. Feel free to go through this list and pick whatever you guys want to meet at if we end up doing it. I am not particular.
johnd5555
Reactions:

Post by johnd5555 »

My wife and I (MacLeod) will be there 20th, staying through weekend, traveling down to Sharpsburg on Monday, traveling onto Harpers Ferry on Tuesday then on back west.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Looking over possible locations for gathering Friday eve 10/20 and then again Saturday eve 10/21. How about these?

Friday: Garryowen Irish Pub (middle of town on Chambersburg St.). Gets good reviews, with a variety of food and drink. http://garryowenirishpub.net/

Saturday: Dobbin House Tavern (in town on Steinwehr Ave/Emmitsburg Road). Nineteenth Century Style/historic building/American alehouse & restaurant. Reviews are good but say food in the main restaurant is pricey. Maybe the tavern would be more appropriate for our crew? http://www.dobbinhouse.com/

If anyone knows these or has better recommendations, chime in!!
StephenColbert27
Reactions:

Out of those two definitely prefer the pub. Another good option is O'Rourke's, which is right across from the 1863 Inn.
Website here.
Last edited by StephenColbert27 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
kg_sspoom
Reactions:

Post by kg_sspoom »

We have been to both O'Rourke's and Dobbins house tavern.
O'Rourke's is basically a sports bar.
Dobbins house tavern is a dimly lit tavern that goes for the historical feel.
The bartenders waiters/waitresses dress in period clothes.
The food is about the same at both.

We have been to both a couple of times and enjoyed both
Last edited by kg_sspoom on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Would O'Rourke's & Dobbins be preferable to Garryowen?
StephenColbert27
Reactions:

Can confirm that Dobbins is pricey. Just about every item on their dinner menu was over 20 dollars, if I remember correctly.