Chickamauga

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Re: Chickamauga

Post by Chamberlain »

Anytime Reb, glad to help.

Thanks for your continued and never ending support !

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
SeriouslyAStoneWall
Reactions:

Post by SeriouslyAStoneWall »

RebBugler wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:21 am Thanks for checking this out John and Flavio. Guess the NSD server that I used to use for downloads is down for the count. I'll move this download to DropBox soon, but first I need to make some long overdue edits.
Hooray! Yes the other members described what I was experiencing. Looking forward to edits!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update 3.9, November 14, 2022 - New Download Location
Misc edits for improved play-ability

Primary edits involved the scenario CHI02-Three Bridges (U-Div)
- Added a popup window at 7:30 to give the player a heads up of where their troops must eventually retreat to. Also sets an objective at that location.
- At 7:45 all the bridge objectives go off. A courier message will order a full retreat at that time.
- All objectives will require only an officer to activate and receive objective points. This allows the player freedom to locate all their regiments away from the objectives to establish more effective defensive positions.
- Added more possible points once the final objective is reached.
- Decreased all the objectives' radii to 50 yards to help minimize the chance of enemy intrusion.

These changes should ease the burden of conquering this scenario. Originally it was a tough nut to crack, too tough. I think it discouraged many folks from continuing on with this carryover scenario marathon. Still, it's not an easy scenario to beat. It requires constant attention as the player learns how to address the Rebel hoard that's attacking all three bridge objectives at once. Then, there's the challenge of getting most of your troops to the final objective, and holding it till nightfall as the Rebel swarm continues their onslaught.

One second left, and my mouse-hand is numb...
Chi 02 one second left.jpg
Chi 02 one second left.jpg (409 KiB) Viewed 930 times
Satisfaction...
Chi 02 Major Victory.jpg
Chi 02 Major Victory.jpg (396.02 KiB) Viewed 930 times
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Thanks Reb

Download link was fine, game loaded with no problem and at 7:30am received the popup window 'Retreat' message.... :D :D

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
SeriouslyAStoneWall
Reactions:

Reb this is amazing! Works like a charm! Thank you so much!! :)
SeriouslyAStoneWall
Reactions:

Re: Chickamauga :: Question about Calv Units

Is there a way I can modify unit stats? I noticed that my calv units can't charge artillery units in certain situations and I was wondering how, if possible, I could change this? Also is there a general way to modify other unit stats too? :D
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Your cavalry won't charge probably because the artillery is in the woods. Other 'can't charge' situations include cavalry units being tired (Fatigue level) or with a low morale level. Since Chickamauga is saturated with woody areas, I'm guessing it's the woods that's blocking charges. Furthermore, cavalry can't charge infantry either if it's situated in woods. Still, if your timing is right, they can be dismounted to fire, before they automatically retreat once they enter the woods and attempt to charge.

You can't modify this situation, that I know of. If you haven't, check out the SDK to learn what is modifiable.
SeriouslyAStoneWall
Reactions:

RebBugler wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:41 am Your cavalry won't charge probable because the artillery is in the woods. Other 'can't charge' situations include cavalry units being tired (Fatigue level) or with a low morale level. Since Chickamauga is saturated with woody areas, I'm guessing it's the woods that's blocking charges. Furthermore, cavalry can't charge infantry either if it's situated in woods. Still, if your timing is right, they can be dismounted to fire, before they automatically retreat once they enter the woods and attempt to charge.

You can't modify this situation, that I know of. If you haven't, check out the SDK to learn what is modifiable.
Thanks, this is very helpful. Where do I find the sdk file (is it a file?) ? I would love to get into modding this game.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

The SDK thread offering its download should be in this section, but even if we find it the download link is probably dead because of website changes. Anyway, here ya go:
SDK.zip
(2.23 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
SeriouslyAStoneWall
Reactions:

RebBugler wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:30 pm The SDK thread offering its download should be in this section, but even if we find it the download link is probably dead because of website changes. Anyway, here ya go:
SDK.zip
Fantastic! Thanks a bunch! This will be fun learning the ropes of this. If I ever manage to do anything noteworthy I guess I can try to share :)