Courier swarm. Broken/ill conceived?

Any technical questions for Waterloo go here!
Stardog765
Reactions:

Re: Courier swarm. Broken/ill conceived?

Post by Stardog765 »

Ya I was in the same mission in question here and it was a sea of couriers for sure.

Its unfortunate that the setting has such negative effect on the game and ends up being a setting to boost the immersion that breaks the immersion.

Will try Div level next time.

Thanks RB
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Division level couriers only is not a satisfactory option because we'd like to have couriers ride to each battalion and artillery piece, not just to brigade and battery commanders.

Can NSD please look at fixing this.

Battery commanders are the only problem, brigade commanders never do this. What happens is an AI battery commander is killed and he respawns apparently near his corps commander. He then repeatedly sends orders to all his guns as he rides back towards his battery. If its a 6 or 8 gun battery the result is dozens and dozens of couriers being sent. This has two unfortunate effects: 1) It actually begins to slow an MP game down. Frame rates drop noticeably, and 2) If a player-owned unit intercepts the couriers its possible to rack up an immense score in captured couriers. At 2 points each, if an 8-gun battery commander is sending 16 couriers every few seconds you can see how this becomes a problem in skewing battle result totals.

I can see a few ways to fix this:

1) Respawn dead battery commanders by their division commander, not their corps commander. This would generally result in a shorter distance the courier swarm travels.
2) Fix the issue of why the battery commanders decide to send orders so frequently when they are so far from their guns. Have them ride back towards their guns and only begin sending couriers when they get within a shorter distance (say 400 yds).
3) Delete the 2 points score from a captured enemy courier. The fact you intercepted him and stopped the message getting through is bonus enough, a score addition isn't needed.

Thanks to all at NSD.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Asid
Reactions:

Post by Asid »

I agree with Saddletank.

PLEASE DO SOMETHING

I am singing the praises of SOW:WL and getting people interested and playing multiplayer. I find it hard to explain the ride of the Rohirrim.

Regards
[img]http://i.imgur.com/1Es1u0o.jpg[/img]
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying
Stardog765
Reactions:

Post by Stardog765 »

Haha I didnt know you recorded the game!

:)
Asid
Reactions:

Post by Asid »

Is it possible to remove the courier which send messages to the artillery while retaining them for all others?

Maybe make them invisible for the artillery with 0 value if killed.

If you play the game by using couriers by division then you will lose the order delay to any units under that division.

A solution would be greatly appreciated. The courier system with HITS sets this game apart from others. Turning these features off waters down the experience...Makes it closer to T*....

Regards
[img]http://i.imgur.com/1Es1u0o.jpg[/img]
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying