Anomalies in Dump File

Any technical questions for Waterloo go here!
mcaryf
Reactions:

Anomalies in Dump File

Post by mcaryf »

Another player has kindly let me use a tool he has developed for updating an OOB from the casualty report generated from a scenario. Plainly this is a valuable tool for use in the campaign I am developing to run through QB and Ligny to Waterloo. The tool works well and has some useful parameters to vary the number of casualties reporting back for battle depending on the scale of victory or defeat. Unfortunately the scenario dump file that produces the casualty reports typically includes a number of anomalies that I have to clean up before the OOB updating tool will work. One example is that the Allied casualty results are sometimes transposed by one column when the French unit inflicting casualties has been split into sub units. There are two or three other similar types of anomaly. Even though I am now familiar with what to look for (e.g. units reported out of sequence, corruptions with multiple reports when sub units have suffered casualties) it can typically take me 15 or more minutes to tidy up the casualty report file.

The report file in its current form can obviously still be viewed by players who can use it as a tool to see how effective particular units have or have not been in either an ongoing battle or one that has been completed. So my question to the developers is are you interested in me giving you more details of the anomalies I am finding or does the dump file meet your current objectives for it?

Regards

Mike
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Anomalies in Dump File

Post by Saddletank »

The casualty tool you are using is not intended for use with the stock game where skirmisher sub units are spawned. It was designed for use with the KS Mod that does not spawn sub-units.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Re: Anomalies in Dump File

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Saddletank
The tool does cope with sub units when they are in a reasonable format but unfortunately the dump file is somewhat erratic and I guess it is not doing what it would be expected to do as the formats it uses for reporting for sub units are not consistent. So my question is whether any further work will be done on the dump program because if it is then I can send in evidence. If it is at its final stage then I will continue to work round the anomalies and develop some standard techniques to tidy the dump files up so I can use those that are important to me.

Regards

Mike