Thanks for clearing this question up.

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
mantrain
Reactions:

Thanks for clearing this question up.

Post by mantrain »

I think after having gotten to a certain point in this game, I have come to realize I cannot move units larger than the size of a regiment in TC mode by way of courier system across the map. For example in scenario # 7, cannot get my units to flank Round Top because the units all go directly north to face the enemy. If I try and TC an entire brigade, they will not respond to orders unless they are stationary. For example, I TC the brigade CO, now all his reg's are TC'd. I order them to form a column and go here or there, "have your unit go to this map point" and only the leader goes.

This makes the game not really worth playing after a certain point. Who wants to have to order each Reg to do something. No one has been able to explain in plain English how to move entire brigades or Divs in TC mode which leads me to believe it can only occur in some arcane mod fashion. Really poor design IMHO and completely not dealt with in the manual.

And another really disappointing feature that can somewhat be remedied by using custom option is that on the grog diff mode, the map does not update with the accumulation of intelligence. Why would a map be completely blank in Grog mode? Certainly the CO would start out knowing where his subordinates are! This is absurd. Then, when the enemy is sighted the CO would fill in his map accordingly. But this does not happen in Grog mode. How absurd is that?

I cannot recommend this game for these reasons!
Last edited by mantrain on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Big Disappointment in the SOW Series, Why I would not buy again.

Post by Davinci »

WOW!

But, You should understand that the "Rest of US" can move Brigades and Divisions around the Map with absolutely no problems.

Therefore "We" still highly recommend the Game.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
mantrain
Reactions:

Post by mantrain »

Yeah but can you do so while they are in TC mode? I mean units larger than the size of a reg? If so, why is the method for doing so cloaked in secrecy or language that is not understood to non modders?

Why does the manual not explain how to move units larger than a Reg in TC mode? This is like the Twilight Zone. IS this game even for real? I have only been posting on these problems for weeks and no one can explain in plan language which leads me to believe this is a modders only game.
Last edited by mantrain on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

If I am moving a Division from one point to the next, I use the "Courier System" to place the Division under the Take-Command function.

This will force the Division Commander to send a courier to each of the Brigades under him.

Then in the same courier message I will remove the Take Command function from the Division Commander which will remove the take Command from each Brigade under him

This will allow for All Brigades under him to Move to the point of destination.

Now - If for some reason that I have never encountered while playing, but if for any reason I wanted all of them to Stay under the Take Command Function - You could Send another Courier Message that will place the Division Commander under TC.

This is with the Default Game - No Modding is Required. It really does Work!

davinci
mantrain
Reactions:

Post by mantrain »

What you have described is far as I can understand the units are moving not in TC mode so you cant get them where you want them to go bc if they see enemy they go to that direction.

"Then in the same courier message I will remove the Take Command function from the Division Commander which will remove the take Command from each Brigade under him"

This is useless for TC purposes then. I want an entire brigade to move around roundtop so I Can simulate a left flank attack but cannot because somewhere on the path they will see enemy and scatter. Sorry I do not at all see the point of what you are trying to explain.

Again, the game needs to allow the overall CO to move large #s off units across a map under TC mode so that the units actually do where they need to be. Under non TC mode, whenever units see enemy units, they go towards those units which means one cannot control them. You told me how to move brigades in TC mode, which is easy enough. But that is not the point. I appreciate your trying but it demonstrates the game is flawed.

EDIT: What I was able to do is in a separate courier message I send the BC the TC order and his Regs cont their march and went into TC mode so there is some progress. Still in the scenario # 7, the units, even in TC mode did not go to Round Top. They say enemy and went to the enemy instead. seriously, I ordered all units to go to round-top, and only a couple of REg made it there, all the rest did their own thing. How do they expect to get to Washington if they can't even get into Round Top and to the Baltimore Pike!
Last edited by mantrain on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

They say enemy and went to the enemy instead. seriously, I ordered all units to go to round-top, and only a couple of REg made it there, all the rest did their own thing. How do they expect to get to Washington if they can't even get into Round Top and to the Baltimore Pike!
OK, I sort of agree with "You" with Scenario #7.

I should have stated that "I" only play in Open Play that has very little scripting involved with the units.

So, I think that you are trying to go against the Scenario Scripting and this is what is causing you so many problems.

Basically, I think that the Scenario is trying to have the units behave as they did during the battle.

The Courier-System is probably one of the best features in the game. So the courier-system works, I just don't think that the Scenario Works!

"Reb" - can probably explain this better than I can, I think that "He" created a lot of those scenarios.

But, I can't get the units to follow orders either, probably why I don't play scripted scenarios!

davinci
mantrain
Reactions:

Post by mantrain »

Ahh, ok....... So how does one take RT!

So one has to Mod RT scenario I guess.
Last edited by mantrain on Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I don't think that you are in control of any of those units in that particular scenario.

I just started it and did nothing but watch, each of those units moved exactly where they have been scripted to move.

Try a Open Play Game and see if you can command the Divisions by a courier, if you can than you will know that that is not the problem. That scenario is the problem!

There is a way of taking any of those scenarios and placing them into the game so that they can be played separately, but I have forgotten how it is done.

That would allow you to edit the scenario and Stop the AI from interfering with your orders.

One of the Team-Members can shed some light on how this is done.

davinci
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Ahh, ok....... So how does one take RT!

So one has to Mod RT scenario I guess.
Honestly,I don't use the courier system. IMO its needlessly convoluted and it gets in the way of the gameplay I feel. The game responds better to point and click in my opinion. I just played the round tops scenario and its pretty easy. Its only like 5 brigades you have to handle. I never TC the brigade commanders because that stops them from running around and granting the commander bonus to units that need it. Rather I use the various attack stances in the order section to set the brigades overall stance. I sometimes TC individual regiments to reposition or when I see an opportunity for a charge on the flank etc etc. But mostly I let the brigade commanders do their thing. I just point and click where I want the brigade to go and then set the brigade commanders stance based on whether I want the brigade to attack, defend, hold etc etc.
In this scenario I sent 3 of the brigades to attack Devils Den and 2 brigades though the pass between Devils Den and Big Round top to attack Little Round Top. The one thing Il say is even if you set a brigade commander to all out attack, in general the AI isn't aggressive enough and sometimes I have to force the issue and have regiments charge to break a stalemate. But also the game has like personality traits for each commander programmed in, so some commanders are more or less aggressive than others, regardless of whether you have them set on the most aggressive stance. Once I take the objectives I usually hold it with at least a brigade and just change the commanders stance to "hold at all costs" so they stay put and rack up the points.

The courier system is cool I guess if you're looking for maximum immersion and experiencing the frustrations of what its like to actually be a civil war commander. But in my opinion sometimes to much reality just gets in the way of the game. Which is why I don't use it.
Last edited by DarkRob on Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mantrain
Reactions:

Post by mantrain »

How do you point and click when the orders of movement go beyond the los?