New Scourge of War Waterloo video series on youtube

A section for Waterloo videos, screenshots and fan art. Post any of your creations here!
mcaryf
Reactions:

Re: New Scourge of War Waterloo video series on youtube

Post by mcaryf »

Thanks for your prompt answers Rob.

I do not know if this is the case but I am inclined to think that the ability to fire in all directions will only relate to target selection rather than one unit actually firing at up to 4 different enemy units at the same time. That might be a possible benefit of having several skirmisher units rather than one battalion.

Mike
DarkRob
Reactions:

Re: Scourge of War Waterloo video series on youtube

Post by DarkRob »

Thanks for your prompt answers Rob.

I do not know if this is the case but I am inclined to think that the ability to fire in all directions will only relate to target selection rather than one unit actually firing at up to 4 different enemy units at the same time. That might be a possible benefit of having several skirmisher units rather than one battalion.

Mike

Inside a fort they will fire at any unit within range all around the fort, that Im certain about. Which is why I try to protect the flanks of a fortification to keep enemy units from being able to bring superior fire to bear against multiple sides of the fort. The only thing Im not certain about is whether the unit inside the fort fires out of any one side at 1/4 of its strength like a square does. Sometimes units inside a fort seem to do to good for this to be the case. It may be that when being attacked from only 1 side of the fort the unit inside the fort is able to bring more of its strength to bear, but as more of the fort gets surrounded by enemy units the unit inside the fort has to spread its strength to multiple sides of the fort, hence weakening the strength of their fire per side of the fort. Im just speculating here though. It would be tough to test because there are so many variables and occupying forts is glitchy enough to begin with.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun May 20, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Re: Scourge of War Waterloo video series on youtube

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Rob

I just watched part of your video of the Battle of Waterloo full length Allied scenario. About 4pm in the afternoon you were complaining about some Allied batteries that were running out of ammunition frequently.

It is a strange anomaly that in the Waterloo scenarios but not in the Quatre Bras ones the crews of Wellington's batteries have been reduced to just 10 men per gun each of which brings 10 rounds of munitions giving 100 munitions per gun. The Prussians, the French and Wellington at QB normally have 30 crew members per gun with each crew member bringing 4 rounds giving 120 rounds per gun.

This gives a double penalty to Wellington as his guns hold less munitions and the crew is more likely to rout after only a few casualties.

There is no historic argument as to why the Allied forces should be treated this way.

The OOB file for Waterloo has full crews for Wellington's guns so if a player knows what they are doing with EXCEL files they can easily mod the relevant scenario.csv file battery entries to give them their full 30 man crew and 4 munitions per man giving the 120 rounds holding.

Regards

Mike
FASSY
Reactions:

Post by FASSY »

Hi Rob and everyone,

I play on the ''Hulot attacks'' scenario by trying the Rob method but I have a problem when I attack the Prussian artillery with the battalion that has crossed the two bridges.
The ‘’charge’’ button does not appear on the toolbar of the unit that does not charge and is being slaughtered.
I play with the extended Toolbar V - version 5.81 with patch 1.03 and TC is on. Difficulty: Historical or Grognard.
How can this button appear at the level of a battalion?
Is a mod necessary and if so, which one?
Thank you in advance.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Hi Rob and everyone,

I play on the ''Hulot attacks'' scenario by trying the Rob method but I have a problem when I attack the Prussian artillery with the battalion that has crossed the two bridges.
The ‘’charge’’ button does not appear on the toolbar of the unit that does not charge and is being slaughtered.
I play with the extended Toolbar V - version 5.81 with patch 1.03 and TC is on. Difficulty: Historical or Grognard.
How can this button appear at the level of a battalion?
Is a mod necessary and if so, which one?
Thank you in advance.
The charge button doesn't appear on the toolbar?? I can't say I've ever heard of that one. Maybe @RebBugler can comment on this but I've never seen that happen.

One other comment I will make though is if you are playing on historical or grognard then virtually nothing of what you see in my videos will likely work. Historical and grognard super buff the AI forces manpower, fatigue, morale and aggression way beyond what they were historically. To put it another way, it's like every enemy unit you face would be the caliber of the French Imperial Guard. You aren't likely to win any charges unless you overwhelm the enemy in manpower with odds like 4:1 or 5:1.
My video series was meant to help new players learn the game. All the scenarios are played on the default normal difficulty, and the tactics and strategies shown in those videos are meant to be used with the normal difficulty. They will not work on enemy units that are super buffed at Grognard.
Last edited by DarkRob on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

The Charge Button is hidden if it doesn't apply (out of engagement range for example) or can't be applied (unit is too fatigued) to the situation. This is the case with many buttons on the Grog Toolbar to help the player along with decision making. IOW, if the player doesn't see a command, then he can't execute that command anyway because of the status of said unit.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

The Charge Button is hidden if it doesn't apply (out of engagement range for example) or can't be applied (unit is too fatigued) to the situation. This is the case with many buttons on the Grog Toolbar to help the player along with decision making. IOW, if the player doesn't see a command, then he can't execute that command anyway because of the status of said unit.
Yea but he's talking about when the first unit comes over the bridge to charge the prussian cannon. That unit should be fresh and unengaged. And the prussian guns are lined up right there ripe for the plucking. There should be no reason he can't charge them, unless he's just not giving us the whole story.

Fassy are you like double quicking your troops the entire way up to the bridges and all the way across them and dropping your fatigue below the point they can charge? That's like the only thing I could see you doing, and that's not the way I show to do it in the video.

EDIT: Also are you using couriers? I forget at what difficulty courier's at the brigade level start, but I'm pretty sure it's enabled at Grognard. Bear in mind my tactics of mashing the charge button will not work with courier's due to the real time delay between when you hit the charge button, and when the courier carrying that order reaches the unit. Mashing the charge button will only send out a stream of courier's.
Last edited by DarkRob on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
FASSY
Reactions:

Post by FASSY »

Yea but he's talking about when the first unit comes over the bridge to charge the prussian cannon. That unit should be fresh and unengaged. And the prussian guns are lined up right there ripe for the plucking. There should be no reason he can't charge them, unless he's just not giving us the whole story.

Fassy are you like double quicking your troops the entire way up to the bridges and all the way across them and dropping your fatigue below the point they can charge? That's like the only thing I could see you doing, and that's not the way I show to do it in the video.

EDIT: Also are you using couriers? I forget at what difficulty courier's at the brigade level start, but I'm pretty sure it's enabled at Grognard. Bear in mind my tactics of mashing the charge button will not work with courier's due to the real time delay between when you hit the charge button, and when the courier carrying that order reaches the unit. Mashing the charge button will only send out a stream of courier's.
I double quick only after passing the second bridge.
New attempt at normal difficulty level without courier (none).
Here is a screenshot.

DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Yea the picture says it all. You're in range to charge all those guns, your fatigue is good. The charge button should be there. I don't know why you don't have it.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Reb, for reference, here is my video of this scenario. He's copying my approach to the letter. What he's doing should work, it always has for me.

https://youtu.be/b6tKyrguNtw