New Scourge of War Waterloo video series on youtube

A section for Waterloo videos, screenshots and fan art. Post any of your creations here!
DarkRob
Reactions:

Re: New Scourge of War Waterloo video series on youtube

Post by DarkRob »

Grog toolbar demystified episode 2 is up. This one covers artillery.

@Reb Bugler, I believe I may have uncovered another Grog toolbar hiccup, similar to the skirmisher split/unsplit problem. This one has to do with artillery battery commanders not reflecting changes when you change the battery's targeting parameters(Ai chooses target, Target infantry, target artillery etc etc)

If you get a chance please watch between 47:46 and 53:30 of the video where I cover this and let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPQbJ1KLR3M&t=3515s
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

@Reb Bugler, I believe I may have uncovered another Grog toolbar hiccup, similar to the skirmisher split/unsplit problem. This one has to do with artillery battery commanders not reflecting changes when you change the battery's targeting parameters(Ai chooses target, Target infantry, target artillery etc etc)

If you get a chance please watch between 47:46 and 53:30 of the video where I cover this and let me know what you think.
Hey, thanks a lot for pointing that out and explaining how it works immediately, but only displays confirmation later. Yeah, I definitely knew about this glitch. I know I spent hours trying to find a solution, change, test, change test, etc., it adds up. There are a few more commands like that that require a click around the oob before they show up. After a while of fighting this dilemma, I've just come to the conclusion that it's an engine thing...Couldn't be my diligent modding expertise. :P
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Hey, thanks a lot for pointing that out and explaining how it works immediately, but only displays confirmation later. Yeah, I definitely knew about this glitch. I know I spent hours trying to find a solution, change, test, change test, etc., it adds up. There are a few more commands like that that require a click around the oob before they show up. After a while of fighting this dilemma, I've just come to the conclusion that's it's an engine thing...Couldn't be my diligent modding expertise. :P
Fortunately none of these issue's are even remotely close to anything serious. They are all just issue's of player awareness, and once they are its no issue at all. The biggest issue of course is confusing those poor new players, which is why I try to cover these things in my video's. By showing them exactly how it works and how simple it is to work around, hopefully I can make their learning process a little easier.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Rob

Interesting and useful again. One small point of extra detail - if you use the advance 20 and 50 yard commands for a gun to advance, the gun crew do not limber they just drag the gun forward. This can result in quicker movement as long as the terrain is not adverse.

One further point you might add as a comment in one of your future videos is where the supply wagon normally positions itself. i think that it follows the commander of the unit to which it is attached. Thus if you do not keep your units reasonably grouped near their commander the supply wagon could be less accessible.

Congratulations on some excellent work again.

Mike
r59
Reactions:

Post by r59 »

Hey, thanks a lot for pointing that out and explaining how it works immediately, but only displays confirmation later. Yeah, I definitely knew about this glitch. I know I spent hours trying to find a solution, change, test, change test, etc., it adds up. There are a few more commands like that that require a click around the oob before they show up. After a while of fighting this dilemma, I've just come to the conclusion that it's an engine thing...Couldn't be my diligent modding expertise. :P
Hi RebBugler.
Thanks for your efforts on the toolbar project, first of all. :)
I had the chanche to investigate the issue a little bit further a couple of days ago.
The problem is artillery officers just don't update their #artyfire,etc. variables to the GUI.
Well, in truth, I guess the game don't keep any track of these kind of states at all for officers.
I'm not sure about that, but it'd make some sense as we can actually change the targeting mode on a lower/unit level.
The checked firemode button we get on the GUI now by focusing an officer or when closing the mini-panel, reflects the variables set by the latest artillery unit selected (or default values), I think.
So they may have no logical connection with the OOB or the behaviours of subordinates in facts.
Let's hope it helps you, to remove some doubts at least... if not to retarget the "bugfixing gun".
That's minor stuff, though. I agree with DarkRob. ;)
Last edited by r59 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

It should also be said that even with these few very minor issue's, the Grog toolbar is so vastly superior to the stock toolbar that I don't think its out of the realm of reason for me to say that if not for the Grog toolbar, I might not still be playing this game two full years after its release.

And I wouldn't have committed myself to a video series on how to use it if I didn't think it deserved it and was worth learning how to use for new players.

Atcommon, Atcommoff, and TC/officers alone make a world of difference in playing large scenarios and handling large numbers of troops.

So a special cheers to Reb Bugler for the Grog toolbar, which I suspect saved the game for a lot of us.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Just another quick update. The corps series is finally complete and Im now moving on to the full battles series. In this series I will be covering the four major battles of the hundred days campaign in the order they occurred(mostly)
We begin with the Battle of Quatre Bras(Yes I know technically its still a corps scenario, but how can I have a full battles playlist and not have Quatre Bras in there? That doesn't feel right)

Since the Quatre Bras scenario's are the only two scenarios in the game to have the same name for both the French and Allied scenarios, Ive decided for youtube to simply title the French scenario in French. Since each scenario is 3 hours long Ive decided to divide them each in half and have a part 1 and part 2 for each side to make it more manageable. Also Ive updated the original post with the full battles playlist link. This has been a monster undertaking that Ive been working on for nearly 7 months now. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now and the end is in sight.

Part 1 of "La Bataille des Quatre Bras" is up now. Part 2 will be up in a few days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_aC7jmwbpg
Last edited by DarkRob on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

Just another quick update. The corps series is finally complete and Im now moving on to the full battles series. In this series I will be covering the four major battles of the hundred days campaign in the order they occurred(mostly)
We begin with the Battle of Quatre Bras(Yes I know technically its still a corps scenario, but how can I have a full battles playlist and not have Quatre Bras in there? That doesn't feel right)

Since the Quatre Bras scenario's are the only two scenarios in the game to have the same name for both the French and Allied scenarios, Ive decided for youtube to simply title the French scenario in French. Since each scenario is 3 hours long Ive decided to divide them each in half and have a part 1 and part 2 for each side to make it more manageable. Also Ive updated the original post with the full battles playlist link. This has been a monster undertaking that Ive been working on for nearly 7 months now. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now and the end is in sight.

Part 1 of "La Bataille des Quatre Bras" is up now. Part 2 will be up in a few days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_aC7jmwbpg
Great video Rob, Is your map modded as it looks different to mine? mines the Steam version.

These are my option settings,
Last edited by roy64 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leicestershire
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Hey Roy, Im not using any mods other than the grog toolbar. However my version is the Matrix version. My settings are identical to yours with the exception that I have the arty hit decals maxed out as well.

EDIT: Oh and the sprite settings to. My Sprites are set to the default setting.
Last edited by DarkRob on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roy64
Reactions:

Post by roy64 »

That's strange, looks like I've got the biggest & best map B) with more trees. :laugh:

These are my mods i'm using, I'm not sure what some of them do now as some of them don't have any description.

Packed Terrain Sprites
Slower_Animations
Custom-Sandbox
ShrapnelEx
Foot Guards
Ch a Ch Garde and Pr Landwehr Cav
Full_French_Campaign
BloodBath Waterloo
Terrain Sprites
Expanded Toolbar V - Grog
GCM_Terrain4
Realistic Smoke