New Scourge of War Waterloo video series on youtube

A section for Waterloo videos, screenshots and fan art. Post any of your creations here!
DarkRob
Reactions:

Re: New Scourge of War Waterloo video series on youtube

Post by DarkRob »

I'd be interested to hear if you plan to record some games using the KS Mod.
I see no reason why I couldn't. I'm still planning on joining you guys this Sunday and it would be easy for me to record it while I'm playing. I mean it would only be from my perspective, but as long as I get ordered into action it should provide some exciting video. There also aren't that many videos that show off the KS mod on YouTube so it would be a good chance to get some footage of it up there.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Sounds great. Thanks. I think the only videos of the KS Mod was the version that was written for Gettysburg of which I uploaded several battles from our 1808-09 Peninsular campaign.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Checked out the Brigade wrap up episode...Nice job, very informative.

Really only got through the first half hour or so and was pleased you included our discussion about the 'split/unsplit button' situation. Just to be clear, that's not a game bug, that's my bug, because I insisted on only showing the button that applies to the unit's state, battalion or split off skirmish battalion. The stock toolbar avoids this issue by keeping both buttons on both unit states. It is confusing, but not a bug. It places the blame on the player if they choose the wrong button with an error message. :S

For those that are interested, my one button solution switches the 'split/unsplit button' on the split off unit a few seconds after the split function is called. The delay is the issue because it takes a few seconds for the 'show condition' skirmish formation to kick in. If in this delay time the player TC's the split battalion, the skirmish formation won't form, so the button won't change, hence the bug.

I'm presently looking at other solutions or workarounds. One that seems promising is using name3 as the show condition, but so far my efforts have been futile.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

In the meantime, while Reb is working on the problem, the workaround for the player is super easy. I cover it in more detail in the video, but in a nutshell, just remember whenever you split off a skirmisher unit to make sure it is under the AI's control. The AI will move the skirmisher unit forward and as soon as it does the split battalion button will flip to unsplit unit. Once it flips there is no further issue and you can TC normally or continue to let the AI control the unit.

This is really an issue of player awareness. Once the player knows about this, it really is no issue at all.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

So now that the brigade series has come to an end, its time to move on to the division sized scenario's. I chose to start with Ligny: No Prisoners because its one of my favorite scenarios in the game because you play as the Imperial Guard. Ive played this scenario many times, and that being said, this was not one of my better performances. We still got a major victory, but our casualties were extreme as I lost about two thirds of my force. The Emperor will no doubt be very displeased at my casual mishandling of his Imperial Guard.
I could have just done it over and recorded a better result, but I decided to keep it as an example of how you can still turn a poor performance into a victory, and how no matter how much experience you have playing a scenario, it is still possible for things to not go your way, especially when you play as arrogantly and over confident as I did here, and it cost a lot of my soldier's their digital lives.

Still the Imperial Guard are hands down the best troops in the game and you'll see that even though I push them to the extreme, they deliver the goods because their troop quality is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBV02ZNdeQc&t=2022s

(The link to the division series playlist itself has been added to the original post)
Last edited by DarkRob on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

New episode up. This one covers "The Namur Road" scenario from the Quatre Bras expansion, where we have to drive the allies off the Namur Road and back towards Quatre bras, severing the allied road link with Blucher at Ligny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muC0HSuKV4Q&t=388s
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Its been awhile since I updated this thread. My Scourge of War Waterloo series is still going strong. Nearing the end of the division series, only 3 more to go and then we'll be on to the corps scenarios, where the real fun starts.

Here's my latest video, episode 18 which covers Mont St. Jean: Sabers vs bayonets.
(I think youtube no longer supports embedding.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-t_O2ghDFU&t=1393s

Also Ive just started what will be a four part series on the Grog toolbar where Il be explaining how it works and all its capabilities for infantry, artillery, cavalry and finally putting it all together with officers.

The first video covers infantry, the other three videos will be forthcoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHUUHTcUSTg&t=104s
Last edited by DarkRob on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Rob

I would like to thank you for your videos. i have been playing the game for a couple of years or more but still managed to learn things about the Grog Tool Bar such as the difference in the coloured variants of the line formations.

One small point I do not think you covered one of my favourite commands which is Guard. I almost invariably play very large scenarios (I am developing my attempt to have an OOB run through from the opening two battle through Wavre to Waterloo. Thus my Wavre has the whole Prussian army initially present.) Anyway the reason I find Guard so valuable is that I like to position artillery, set an infantry and a cavalry unit to guard it and then get on and command the rest of the battle knowing that the artillery will be looked after to some extent.

regards

Mike
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Hi Mike, thanks for watching, and I'm glad you found some useful things in the video.

With regards to the guard function, in setting out to make a 4 part series I naturally had to decide what functions I was going to cover in which videos. At the same time, I didn't want to blow everything with infantry and not have a decent amount of stuff left over for artillery and cavalry. I decided to save the guard function for the cavalry video(which I haven't done yet). True, it can just as easily be used for infantry, but basically I want to have the whole series be interesting through all of the videos. So some things I'm going to spread out to other videos, even if technically it can be used for more than one arm. Hopefully when all 4 parts are completed it will make sense as a whole.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Rob

I look forward to the next three - it would make sense to talk about Guard with artillery as it is a command very often used with them although not one they obey themselves. I do like your method of protecting artillery with skirmishers but you do have to keep an eye on that which is difficult with large scenarios. I usually apply something similar to the KS mod to give guns longer canister ranges so they are somewhat less vulnerable than in the standard game but they still need guarding.

Regards

Mike