Shiloh Redux - Released

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Crikey
Reactions:

Shiloh Redux - Released

Post by Crikey »

The attachment Sh1i.jpg is no longer available
The attachment Sh1f.jpg is no longer available
Download - https://www.dropbox.com/s/cj24nk0ot58vl ... ux.7z?dl=0

“At four o’clock in the morning we began the march on the enemy. Each man had forty cartridges, all moving accoutrements and three days’ rations. General Johnston was cheered as he rode by our command and I remember his words as well as if they had been today, ˜Shoot low, boys; it takes two to carry one off the field.”
–Pvt. William E. Bevens, 1st Arkansas

“The battle has opened gentlemen; it is too late to change our dispositions. Tonight we will water our horses in the Tennessee River.”
–Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston

A conversion of the original TCM2 map by Jeremy Huggler (122nd Ohio).

Featuring:

- Converted OOBs based on Phantom Captain's originals.
- Ground texture and terrain upgrades.
- New gunboat, camp and tent models by Pom.
- New building textures.
- New portraits for Army commanders.
- 2 scenarios to get things started (prefix SH).
- Character sprites for Johnston and Grant (in OOB suffix _CM - standing only)
Attachments
Sh1f.jpg
Sh1f.jpg (259.21 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Sh1i.jpg
Sh1i.jpg (349.81 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Last edited by Crikey on Sun May 05, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Re: Shiloh Redux - Released

Post by JC Edwards »

Outstanding!! - If the OOB's are based on ol' Phantom Captain's then take into mind that the units armed with US M1842 muskets (smoothbores) are down right deadly at 40 to 80 yards. Above that they're not much use.

JC
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Fantastic job everyone !!!

Keep them coming !

;) ;) ;)

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
conjotter
Reactions:

Post by conjotter »

Thanks Crikey!
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

I haven't played SOWGB in a long time, like since Waterloo came out. But I saw Shiloh came out today so I decided to download it, and everything else Ive been missing out on(Chickamauga, bugles and flags etc etc)

I have to say the game looks better than ever before. The new toolbar is fantastic. The maps and troops and unit flags all look amazing.

I just played the first Shiloh scenario(Peabody's Brigade)and it was cool not being tied down to an objective. There were so many Rebel regiments moving in so I used a lot of fall back when engaged, which is a great way to keep getting points while moving backwards. The further I fell back the harder and longer it takes for the rebs to try to get around my flanks.
A couple of times when Reb artillery got to close I had to actually pull back to get out of canister range. I ended up falling back to the camp behind where you start off. And I set my regiments up in a semi circle around the camp.
The Rebs approached on the center and right, but not the left.(conveniently the remnants of a union artillery battery happened to fall back right on my left and they set up shop there) So I took my left most regiment and stuck them in the camp by Peabody to rest and recuperate in case one of my units broke and run and I needed to plug a hole. I always try to keep at least a small reserve even when I think I cant, Its saved my butt so many times. My troops fought well and held up the Reb advance long enough to run the clock down.

230 points. Major victory.

Great job guys. Its good to see SOWGB still getting love after all these years.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Sorry but the M1842 muskets (smoothbore) are much too accurate at 100-160 yards. Are you sure you're using Phantom Captain's specs?

JC

(.... here is the original data for the US M1842 Musket per PC's TC2M specs: US M1842 Musket,.69cal Smoothbore,48,65,75,90,105,120,140,190,40,,,,,,,,,,)
Last edited by JC Edwards on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Yes, I used the original OOBs, but I used the auto conversion tool to convert them to the SoW format, I've also incl the flank fire mod.

I'll take a look in case the conversion has skewed values in due course.
Last edited by Crikey on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Ok, as thought. The mod doesn't tamper with the SoW stock settings found in rifles.csv.

Model_1842_Rifle_USA IDS_ARSN_Model_1842_Rifle_USA IDS_ARSN_Rifle-Musket_69_caliber 26 48 91 116 160 18.78721823 47 35

I'm no expert on Civil War weapons so have left the final say to NSD, rather than mess with that file.

I can look at a further adjustments if there's a demand.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Ok, as thought. The mod doesn't tamper with the SoW stock settings found in rifles.csv.

Model_1842_Rifle_USA IDS_ARSN_Model_1842_Rifle_USA IDS_ARSN_Rifle-Musket_69_caliber 26 48 91 116 160 18.78721823 47 35

I'm no expert on Civil War weapons so have left the final say to NSD, rather than mess with that file.

I can look at a further adjustments if there's a demand.
I'd agree with JC's assessment of the 1842. The 1842 Springfield .69 caliber smoothbore was a close range weapon. It was loaded with what they called "buck and ball" which was basically a larger roundball and several much smaller rounds of buckshot. This turned the musket into half a shotgun and was devastating at close ranges(50 yards and under). I've shot buck and ball out of my 1777 Charleville which is also .69 caliber smoothbore. I would say 80 yards is probably the extreme end of it's effective range, while anything inside of 50 yards is the "I'd rather be somewhere else" range. The trick of course was being able to close to that kind of close range against units armed with rifled muskets. But if they could it was bad news if you were looking down the business end of the 1842.
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Thanks DR & JC

As JC mentions, the weapons.csv in the original (TCM2) Shiloh mod used the following

Minimum(yds) Optimal(yds) Medium(yds) Typical(yds) Long(yds) Longest(yds) Max(yds)
48 65 75 90 105 120 140

Sow uses a shorter formula

Min Best Normal Long Maximum
20 46 89 114 160

I'm not familiar enough with SoW's AI to know if it will actually fire at max range, or stick to the optimal/best or normal/typical range most of the time. If it's the latter, then not much difference between the two ranges quoted. In fact, the best fig quoted in SoW is shorter than the optimal fig in TCM2.The normal fig is near enough the same.

According to NSD

Min = The closest range where this rifle would be used
Best = The most accurate range of this rifle
Normal = The typical range where this rifle was fired
Long = A very long range for using this rifle
Maximum = The farthest away that this rifle has any chance of hitting a target

If you feel these need adjusting then let me know the values. I can peg back the max and longest.

But I also need to be mindful of impacts on MP. Think some csvs can cause problems, if memory serves.
The attachment rifles.csv is no longer available

Attached is the NSD rifles.csv from the SDK for ref.
Attachments

[The extension csv has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Crikey on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.