New GCM "Super Blind" Format

A multiplayer online persistence game for Scourge of War.
Lead your division from battle to battle where your casualties really
count.
States
Reactions:

Re: New GCM "Super Blind" Format

Post by States »

After playing super blind for a week I feel I have a new perspective different to my original impression.

Limiting artillery road movement for 10 minutes has not penalized me in any way. I've never had to move guns through woods for extended periods of time. There is always a way to move your guns on open ground for at least the first 5 minutes, then I just wait at the road for another 5 minutes and my guns have never arrived late to a fight.

I never used artillery for scouting to begin with so I don't see it as a penalty. To the contrary, I find myself scouting MORE now on the flanks which contradicts the point of this rule. I suggest limiting all artillery movement for the first 5 minutes to correct this problem and then use roads. It's kind of unrealistic to be moving artillery cross country when you have a road at your disposal, but I don't see the status quo as a big deal since you're unlikely to scout an enemy position on the flank in the first 10 minutes anyway.

I like using regiments to hold objectives. I like objectives being neutral more often, it adds depth to the game. While objective values are higher, I still find holding objectives not as important. Simply keeping an objective neutral while having full force on the front line is a good compromise if you're holding at least 1 objective in a 5 objective game. People also now have more incentive to send back regiments on the route line.

Wagons/holders can be a pain and I like the new aspect of strategic ammo wagon placement. Harmon delivered ammo to me at a crucial point with perfect timing which was kind of new and cool. I also think having 40 wagons/holders gives too much visibility on the map, I like the slightly increased ability for ambush.

Overall I like both the old and new formats, but I like this new format just to mix things up. I think officers are more of a problem with scouting than wagons/holders were, but it does help the problem. Super blind doesn't change the game that much honestly, it's a nice twist for now IMO.
Last edited by States on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Thanks for the comments. The 'Super Blind' adjustments weren't really intended as major alterations to the game. Rather, the hope was to tweak away a few annoying & recurring habits developed by some over time (e.g., scouting with wagons & vp holders; leading with guns). It also seemed a good opportunity to make a few subtle 'realism' enhancements (new new vp holding criteria, expanded vp radius, etc.). Experience has taught that for any house rule to work, it needs to be straightforward and minimally invasive -- otherwise games can quickly degenerate into arguments and hard feelings. And it's far, far better whenever possible to bake adjustments into host settings so there is no opportunity for quibble.

The guns using roads in the first 10 minutes is working out about the way I thought. It's a simple guideline, easy to follow that discourages, without prohibiting, batteries leading a division into combat. Bottom line is that (I think) we're seeing proportionately more first sightings by infantry rather than guns. Guns still pop up unexpectedly on hills, etc. to cover flanks and gain good shooting positions, as they should. Gun scouting hasn't been eliminated, but diminished IMO.
Wales
Reactions:

Post by Wales »

Super blind seems to be working, Nice Change Mr. Palmer.
Wales
Reactions:

Post by Wales »

You My GCM friend, should seek help. :whistle: @ Willard
Last edited by Wales on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

You My GCM friend, should seek help. :whistle: @ Willard
Roger That!

Interesting fight this evening: http://www.sowmp.com/gcm/battles/battle/51372
Last edited by KG_Soldier on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.