Reactions:

Re:The field of Pickett's Charge at dawn

Post by Little Powell »

Chamberlain wrote:
Hey LP,

Do you have any more pictures for us ?

:woohoo: :woohoo:

Chamberlain
Absolutely.. I'll see if I can post some a little later today.

There's one of the copse of trees that I'm actually having blown-up/framed to put in my bedroom. It's a great photo, I'll be sure to post it.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Here you go. Click on the pictures for the full image.

This is the field of Pickett's Charge taken from Seminary Ridge. Notice the hilly landscape.

This is the stone wall near The Angle

This was taken from the stone wall, looking toward Seminary Ridge. You can see the Virginia Monument in the distance, and yes, that is my little white Van to the left of it.

The Codori Farm, taken from the area of The Angle:

Some cannons near Seminary Ridge (Spanglers Woods):

The Bushman Farm. Big Round Top is in the background.

Devils Den taken from Little Round Top:

Looking farther north towards the Warren Statue.

The stone wall the 20th Maine Defended on LRT.

The Snipers Pen in Devils Den. LRT can be seen in the background.

The WheatField:

The Trostle Barn:

And now for the bonus shots. I got to stop by Antietam on the way back. This place was awesome, very well preserved. I only had time to stop in a take a few shots. Most of them didn't turn out because the focus wasn't functioning properly on my camera (user error).

Here is the Bloody Cornfield:

I also got to stop by the New Market Battlefield. This battlefield is literally located right next to the highway, but other than that it's a beautiful place.

And finally, Harpers Ferry:

Last edited by Little Powell on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farm Boy
Reactions:

Post by Farm Boy »

Awesome Pics !! Thanks for sharing.. Really interesting and enjoyed viewing them.. B)

"The time for compromise has now passed, and the South is determined to maintain her position, and make all who oppose her smell Southern powder and feel Southern steel"
- Jefferson Davis inaugural speech on February 16, 1861
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Now you have to go back and walk those same fields in the blistering hot July sun. Tell your wife you left you wallet at the hotel and you have to go pick it up.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Amish John wrote:
Now you have to go back and walk those same fields in the blistering hot July sun. Tell your wife you left you wallet at the hotel and you have to go pick it up.
:laugh:

I actually did keep one of the room keys by accident.. I'll tell her I have to return it or they will send the hotel police after me..
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Thanks LP

Fantastic pictures, they are really cool B)

Thanks again for sharing and if you come upon some more, throw at us !!!!

Little Powell wrote:
There's one of the copse of trees that I'm actually having blown-up/framed to put in my bedroom. It's a great photo, I'll be sure to post it.
This picture must be awesome !!

Can't wait to see it !!

:cheer: :cheer:

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Ah, forgot to add the copse of trees pic. Here it is:

Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Not sure if this is the proper venue for this question, but here goes.

One of the monuments at GB shows an infantryman posed with his rifle-musket in a position that is in accord with the old Heavy Infantry drill as demonstrated in Gihams' manual. Can't remember the exact position or the monument...and, at the time, did not have my camera. Does anyone happen to know which monument and perhaps have a photo of it.

Thanks

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Kerflumoxed wrote:
Not sure if this is the proper venue for this question, but here goes.

One of the monuments at GB shows an infantryman posed with his rifle-musket in a position that is in accord with the old Heavy Infantry drill as demonstrated in Gihams' manual. Can't remember the exact position or the monument...and, at the time, did not have my camera. Does anyone happen to know which monument and perhaps have a photo of it.

Thanks

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack,

Do you remember any more about the monument or where on the field it was located? How was the musket positioned?

John
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Jack,
If you want to browse around, try this site:
http://www.virtualgettysburg.com/exhibit/monuments/

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863