The field of Pickett's Charge at dawn

O. O. Howard
Reactions:

Re:The field of Pickett's Charge at dawn

Post by O. O. Howard »

Amish John wrote:
Kerflumoxed wrote:
Not sure if this is the proper venue for this question, but here goes.

One of the monuments at GB shows an infantryman posed with his rifle-musket in a position that is in accord with the old Heavy Infantry drill as demonstrated in Gihams' manual. Can't remember the exact position or the monument...and, at the time, did not have my camera. Does anyone happen to know which monument and perhaps have a photo of it.

Thanks

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE

I don't know what the position is like in Giham's manual, but the 145th PVI monument has a soldier that is in a position similar to what might be called "charge bayonets," with his musket out in front of him (I think they were armed with smoothbores still at that point) and his weight put on his front let as if ready to engage in hand to hand. It is located in the Rose Woods along the line with 53rd PVI and 2nd Delaware.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Jim,

Thanks very much for the website on GB monuments. It did confirm my memory and added more info.

The one I recall is the 118 PA Infantry with an infantryman in the process of loading. What is striking to me is the position in which he is holding his rifle-musket as it completly contradicts what has been traditionally accepted. In the U.S. Infantry Tactics (commonly known as Hardee's), paragraph 156 (I am using the original 1862 Lippincott manual) of "Load in Nine Times," command number one orders the soldier to "...place the butt between the feet, barrel to the front."

In Gilham's Manual of Instruction, paragraph 106, second motion, the soldier is instructed to "Drop the piece with the right hand along the left thigh..." When looking at the 118 PA Inf. statue, you will note that the figure is in the position described by Gilham, not Hardee's.

The 114th PA monument likewise shows the musket being loaded as described by Gilham with the muzzle opposite the center of the body (note the lockplate is facing away from the body as shown in Gilhams in figures 32 and 33, page 97). Hardees places "the barrel to the front" in paragraph 156 and shown in Plate 5 of U. S. Tactics on page 32.

Also, the statue of the 11th Pa Infantry shows what appears to be a rifleman in the position of "Ready" with the piece extended upward as opposed to the traditional Hardee's.

What does this mean to the game? Probably nothing as there is no sound data to support this consideration. The manufacturer of the statues, the veteran's memories, or other myriad causes could have resulted in these depictions. Nevertheless, they are interesting to contemplate. Perhaps a regimental history of these units might shed some light on where, when and how they were drilled.

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

John,

I looked at the 145th PA and, based upon Hardee's, the figure looks a lot like Hardee's depiction in Plate 16, page 55, titled "Guard against cavalry", paragraph 308.

It could also be simply advancing with fixed bayonets.

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
O. O. Howard
Reactions:

Post by O. O. Howard »

Kerflumoxed wrote:
Jim,

Thanks very much for the website on GB monuments. It did confirm my memory and added more info.

The one I recall is the 118 PA Infantry with an infantryman in the process of loading. What is striking to me is the position in which he is holding his rifle-musket as it completly contradicts what has been traditionally accepted. In the U.S. Infantry Tactics (commonly known as Hardee's), paragraph 156 (I am using the original 1862 Lippincott manual) of "Load in Nine Times," command number one orders the soldier to "...place the butt between the feet, barrel to the front."

In Gilham's Manual of Instruction, paragraph 106, second motion, the soldier is instructed to "Drop the piece with the right hand along the left thigh..." When looking at the 118 PA Inf. statue, you will note that the figure is in the position described by Gilham, not Hardee's.

The 114th PA monument likewise shows the musket being loaded as described by Gilham with the muzzle opposite the center of the body (note the lockplate is facing away from the body as shown in Gilhams in figures 32 and 33, page 97). Hardees places "the barrel to the front" in paragraph 156 and shown in Plate 5 of U. S. Tactics on page 32.

Also, the statue of the 11th Pa Infantry shows what appears to be a rifleman in the position of "Ready" with the piece extended upward as opposed to the traditional Hardee's.

What does this mean to the game? Probably nothing as there is no sound data to support this consideration. The manufacturer of the statues, the veteran's memories, or other myriad causes could have resulted in these depictions. Nevertheless, they are interesting to contemplate. Perhaps a regimental history of these units might shed some light on where, when and how they were drilled.

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Now that'ssomething interesting. I doubt that regimental histories would mention the drill manual they used. It probably is not the kind of thing they would have considered noteworthy for posterity. A lot of regimental histories don't even mention the types of weapons they were issued, unless it was really good (like a sharps) or really bad (like Belgian muskets). Your keen observations are really interesting though. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

O. O. Howard wrote:
Kerflumoxed wrote:
Jim,

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Now that'ssomething interesting. I doubt that regimental histories would mention the drill manual they used. It probably is not the kind of thing they would have considered noteworthy for posterity. A lot of regimental histories don't even mention the types of weapons they were issued, unless it was really good (like a sharps) or really bad (like Belgian muskets). Your keen observations are really interesting though. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.
What is taught on the drill field and what happens under fire can be very different.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

John,

That is certainly true! Then, again, don't we frequently revert to our training, especially when we are experiencing the abnormal and don't have time to "think", such as the stress of combat for the first time....and even that training doesn't always work. I seem to recall that many muskets were picked up after GB where multiple loads had been "rammed home" but were never fired because the owners forgot the essential step of "capping" the nipple. I believe that one rifle-musket was found to have 28 rounds in it. (Wouldn't that have made a whale of a "kick!")

I also know from experience that the position of loading in Gilham's is more comfortable for me than Hardee's including such other things as "Shoulder, Arms." With enough practice, it all becomes "rote" after a while...kind of like riding a bike or ....well, we won't go there.

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Kerflumoxed wrote:
John,

That is certainly true! Then, again, don't we frequently revert to our training, especially when we are experiencing the abnormal and don't have time to "think", such as the stress of combat for the first time....and even that training doesn't always work. I seem to recall that many muskets were picked up after GB where multiple loads had been "rammed home" but were never fired because the owners forgot the essential step of "capping" the nipple. I believe that one rifle-musket was found to have 28 rounds in it. (Wouldn't that have made a whale of a "kick!")

I also know from experience that the position of loading in Gilham's is more comfortable for me than Hardee's including such other things as "Shoulder, Arms." With enough practice, it all becomes "rote" after a while...kind of like riding a bike or ....well, we won't go there.

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
If you've read Landscape Turned Red, there are many accounts of these kinds of things happening. One Regiment commander noted that several of his men were firing into the sky, way over their enemies heads.. Some would even fire without taking the ram-rod out of the barrel.

There was also an account of General Gibbon observing a cannon that was aimed way too high, so he personally adjusted the cannon so it was aiming towards the ground, and fired. The solid shot bounced across the field, taking out close to an entire company.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

I haven't read the Sears' book in decades. Great book!

Sharpsburg has always been my "favorite" battle. Used to live about and hour and a half in the north end of the Valley and would travel up there quite often to do living history at Dunker's Church, VC, etc. At that time, a former Nebraskan was a/the historian at the park.

Some of the folks I currently do living history with will be there the weekend of 16 August this year. Afraid that I am a bit "long in the tooth" to make the trip.

Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

Little Powell wrote:
Kerflumoxed wrote:

There was also an account of General Gibbon observing a cannon that was aimed way too high, so he personally adjusted the cannon so it was aiming towards the ground, and fired. The solid shot bounced across the field, taking out close to an entire company.
Don't ya just love having a commander who used to be in the artillery?
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
Lord Ashram
Reactions:

Post by Lord Ashram »

Very nice photos! I have a reenacting buddy who has done some work with the park service on the actual field, including a bunch of camps and drills and such, and he always said the impact of being on the field cannot be underestimated. Good stuff!