Gettysburg 3Days - New Ground

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
SwampRat
Reactions:

Re: Gettysburg 3Days - New Ground

Post by SwampRat »

Thanks as always for the reply!

What I'm seeing is guns retreat (with officers TC'ed and "Hold to the last") even before they unlimber at distances from 400 to 800 yards. :ohmy:

I am also seeing about half retreat once on the gun line and unlimbered (with officers TC'ed and "Hold to the last").

Maybe I just never noticed before, but it makes an attack a frustrating thing. :pinch:

Again, thanks RebBugler!

S
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

What I'm seeing is guns retreat (with officers TC'ed and "Hold to the last") even before they unlimber at distances from 400 to 800 yards. :ohmy:

I am also seeing about half retreat once on the gun line and unlimbered (with officers TC'ed and "Hold to the last").

Maybe I just never noticed before, but it makes an attack a frustrating thing. :pinch:

Again, thanks RebBugler!

S
Hey SwampRat, Im just wondering, have you checked the individual guns ammo supply? In SOW Waterloo not all artillery batteries are made up of the same kinds of guns, or have the same type or amount of ammo for the various types of ammo the guns require. I cant recall if its the same in SOW Gettysburg as I haven't played that game seriously since SOW Waterloo came out. But it might be worth looking into.

In SOW Waterloo if an individual gun does not have the required type of ammo for a given situation, or if its range is much more limited than other guns in the battery(such as the difference between say a Howitzer and a Napoleon)the individual gun may pull back from the firing line(not a rout, but a small retreat to the rear behind the battery)
Its possible you may have some sort of SOW Gettysburg equivalent going on. Im not sure though, its been a long time and my memory of how artillery batteries were made up in SOW Gettysburg is somewhat blurry. But it couldn't hurt to have a look.
Last edited by DarkRob on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Again, thanks RebBugler!

S
Something's definitely amiss. Please relay the battery CO name and the approximate game time this 'gun retreat' issue occurs, I'll check it out. I'm assuming you're now going through the CSA version.

Don't think it's an ammo thing since the enemy is so far away, but thanks for the help DarkRob.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
SwampRat
Reactions:

Post by SwampRat »

DarkRob,

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it is a specific gun issue as I find all the gun types will retreat.

RebBugler,

It starts with the Third Corps Reserve Artillery, all batteries in Pegram's Battalion, from the start of the game. I move Heth forward, with the guns to the rear in support. As Heth moves forward I gradually move the batteries forward.

I find the guns begin retreating individually and by battery. Some will retreat without unlimbering as soon as they reach their assigned battery position.

I thought at first I was moving them too close to the Feds, but I find retreats at great distances from their lines.

I would greatly appreciate you looking into it, if for no other reason than to find what I might be doing wrong. :)

Thanks as always.

S
benway9
Reactions:

Post by benway9 »

I too have noticed the same exact behavior playing the USA scenario. I posted Calef's battery a little closer to the opening action between Gamble's brigade and the approaching rebs. Definitely not near enough to receive any fire or anything of the sort. All of a sudden, several of the guns just started a cycle of retreating as described by SwampRat. Not all of them at once, just a few at a time. They would retreat then stop for a second, then immediately retreat again. Then another gun would do the same thing, until it became the whole battery. One of them got so out of order that they started "retreating" towards the oncoming rebel infantry. I had to evenetually TC each gun and literally herd them back to the outskirts of town. But by that time, they were all so exhausted that they were out of the fighting for quite some time. I've never seen this type of thing before. Could it be an issue with the engine, or is this something that is scenario specific?

Perhaps there is something different I should be doing? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pete
Last edited by benway9 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update 9/11/17

Very minor update that won't affect scoring or gameplay much at all. It addresses the artillery issue discussed above by keeping Artillery Corps CO Walker from moving Pegram's artillery division. This happens 90 minutes into the CSA scenario and hopefully resolves the 'batteries moving on their own' issue.

However, and a BIG however, I cannot explain nor resolve the report of guns moving about when the battery CO is TC'd. From my experience, this only happens when guns are threatened by the enemy closing in, not as reported:
guns retreat even before they unlimber at distances from 400 to 800 yards
Keep in mind that artillery is always stubborn to move or control once they engage the enemy. My standard of procedure with artillery is keep the officers TC'd at all times once engaged. I move them about using command combinations of tcofficers and Atcommoff, Aattackmarch to get them out of enemy fire, and Ajustrun for somewhat controlled retreats.
Last edited by RebBugler on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwampRat
Reactions:

Post by SwampRat »

RebBugler,

Thank you so much for looking into this! I greatly appreciate it.

I just finished playing Mansfield in the RR Campaign and had no trouble at all with my artillery. I intentionally moved a battery within 100 yards of the Yank infantry. They retreated. Otherwise I got no retreats at all.

I definitely saw different behavior playing the Rebs on New Grounds.

I will give it a try next week. Right now I'm off to the real McCoy. I'm gonna spend a week at Gettysburg, Antietam. South Mountain and environs.

Thanks again man!

S
1norselad
Reactions:

Post by 1norselad »

Hi

Where can I find the Patched version of this with all the little fixes?

Thanks
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Hi

Where can I find the Patched version of this with all the little fixes?

Thanks
As updates are announced, the first post DL link is updated.
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
1norselad
Reactions:

Post by 1norselad »

Thanks RebBugler

Started a game last night the mod is excellent