New Version of the KS Napoleon Mod Released

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
con20or
Reactions:

Re: New Version of the KS Napoleon Mod Released

Post by con20or »

Hook has his link - keep replies clean please I've already deleted one or if not we'll have to lock it.
MikeCK
Reactions:

Post by MikeCK »

Ok, I’ve owned SoW Waterloo since the day it was out along with each DLC. I have never tried the KS mod but downloaded it and put it in the mod folder today. I activated the 3 parts and turned off all other mods; however, when I selected a user scenarios (ney’s Corps at QB) I see a toolbar that looks like the vanilla game. Can’t order much with it. So...i activated the “Grog ToolBar V” and noticed some new cavalry commands (like screen or raid)...at least, I’ve never seen them before

Problem is, I’ve read that the KS mod isn’t compatible with the Grog Tool bar and will crash. Since mine ran, I’m wondering if my KS mod is installed properly. Does the KS mod use the old vanilla toolbar? Have things changed and now the Grog bar IS compatible? I can’t imagjne doing anything with the vanilla toolbar other than ordering a unit from here to there in one of 3 formatIons
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Ok, I’ve owned SoW Waterloo since the day it was out along with each DLC. I have never tried the KS mod but downloaded it and put it in the mod folder today. I activated the 3 parts and turned off all other mods; however, when I selected a user scenarios (ney’s Corps at QB) I see a toolbar that looks like the vanilla game. Can’t order much with it. So...i activated the “Grog ToolBar V” and noticed some new cavalry commands (like screen or raid)...at least, I’ve never seen them before

Problem is, I’ve read that the KS mod isn’t compatible with the Grog Tool bar and will crash. Since mine ran, I’m wondering if my KS mod is installed properly. Does the KS mod use the old vanilla toolbar? Have things changed and now the Grog bar IS compatible? I can’t imagjne doing anything with the vanilla toolbar other than ordering a unit from here to there in one of 3 formatIons
The KS mod is not compatible with the grog toolbar. I didn't know it was even possible to use the grog toolbar while the KS mod was active since the KS mod has it's own toolbar. At any rate even if you have managed to load a KS game and the grog toolbar at the same time, it's almost certain to make the game crash at some point, even if it doesn't happen right away.

The KS toolbar and the vanilla stock toolbar are very different and it's hard to believe you could confuse the two, even just from the layout and the way they look they are completely different. So if you're activating the 3 parts of the KS mod but still getting the vanilla toolbar then something is wrong. The KS mods toolbar is vastly better than the stock toolbar, and comparable to the grog toolbar(though they to are very different)

The new cavalry commands in the grog toolbar are from more recent updates to the grog toolbar stemming from the release of patch 1.03

I also wouldn't recommend using the KS mod with the games stock scenarios. The KS mod makes so many drastic changes to the way infantry, artillery and cavalry work in the game that it unbalances many of the stock scenarios making some of them super easy to win and others impossible to win. The stock scenarios were written and balanced for the stock game. The KS mod comes with it's own scenarios and you can write your own using the KS scenario generator.

I'm not sure why you are getting the vanilla toolbar and not the KS toolbar. I suggest redownloading the files and trying again. The KS toolbar should appear somewhat transparent against the backround. And also when your place your movement arrows on the ground they should appear more orange/yellow rather than the green arrow of the stock game.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Also Mike, if you haven't already, I highly recommend reading the KS mod players manual. It's very well written and serves as a good introduction to the KS mod, what it is, what it does, and how it works. The KS mod is very different from the stock game, and while knowing the stock game well can help you pick up the KS mod quicker, they are still very different so don't expect to immediately understand everything.

Here is a link to the webpage with the players manual link:
http://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t2032 ... r-s-manual
MikeCK
Reactions:

Post by MikeCK »

Thank you all. I had read just about all I could. The problem was that I used the 7-zip extractor which placed the three folders in my download folder. I placed those folders in the Mod folder and it didn’t work. Turns out, if I opened the Sprites folder -for instance- there was another “sprites folder inside. Sort of a folder in a folder. Was like that for all three. When I put those “subfolders” in the MOD folder, worked perfectly.

So that’s why I was having problems. KS was not installed and activated.

Can’t WAIT to dig into this!
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Thank you all. I had read just about all I could. The problem was that I used the 7-zip extractor which placed the three folders in my download folder. I placed those folders in the Mod folder and it didn’t work. Turns out, if I opened the Sprites folder -for instance- there was another “sprites folder inside. Sort of a folder in a folder. Was like that for all three. When I put those “subfolders” in the MOD folder, worked perfectly.

So that’s why I was having problems. KS was not installed and activated.

Can’t WAIT to dig into this!
Ahh the ole folder in folder trick. That one gets a lot of people the first time. Don't feel bad. We've all done it.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

A new version of the KS SOWWL mod has been uploaded. It is version 1.28. Also a new version of the KS Sprites Mod, (version 1.07), is also available. You can find the link to the KS Forum in the first post of this thread.

More improvements to the AI have been made. These include:
1. The ability of artillery to run to a nearby square if cavalry approach too close.
2. An infantry battalion will automatically be assigned from a nearby brigade to guard a battery once it is unlimbered and begins firing.
3. Improvements to the AI in both its tactical and strategic assessments. You'll see the latter especially in Hunt Them Down scenarios.
4. A zoom button, ('Z'), has been added to the toolbar. It will bring up a telescope view of the battlefield. This was requested by DarkRob in one of his videos. The keyboard 'Z' key will still zoom in on the battlefield as it always has.
5. 21 new scenarios have been added. These are all quite difficult if played from the recommended side.
6. A new OOB has been included for battles in the 1800 German theater between Austria and France. Several new sprites for it have been created by Remus. The KS Sprites Mod., (version 1.07), contains them.
7. The manual has been updated so reading it again will be useful.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

The latest version of the KS mod, version 1.29 has been released. The Supplemental Maps, version 1.19, has also been updated. The link to the KS forum is in the first post of this thread.

Along with the usual AI improvements, the changes include:
1. Scripting for MP games has been implemented. This will allow a scenario maker to create more intelligent P vs AI battles, or allow larger battles where one or more AI divisions can be scripted. A new manual with instructions is included in the manual folder of the mod.
2. New messages have been added to single player games. As a corps commander, any scouting reports will now be sent to the player. Of course a player/division commander will still receive the report.
3. SP players/corps commanders will now receive a report detailing when a division first becomes engaged. It will send an estimate of the enemy's strength. Periodically, the player will receive updates, with an estimate of the percentage casualties the division has suffered. This can be helpful to players in HITS mode as the fighting is usually over an area that cannot be viewed from one location.
4. Crikey's Italian maps have now been included. These are very nice and give a good feel for fighting in northern Italy.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Scripting for MP games has been implemented
This was always near the top of my 'improvements' list, great to hear that you've found a pathway towards that feature. Sure wish my dense old brain could adapt the Grog Toolbar as an option for this mod as per our last discussion, however, I'm just getting denser.

All the best for the KS group, it's probably the number one happening that's keeping this game on a progressive path.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

3. SP players/corps commanders will now receive a report detailing when a division first becomes engaged. It will send an estimate of the enemy's strength. Periodically, the player will receive updates, with an estimate of the percentage casualties the division has suffered. This can be helpful to players in HITS mode as the fighting is usually over an area that cannot be viewed from one location.
This is the One Feature that I wish the previous game would have included!

"MTG" - in your opinion can the SOWWL game be converted over to the Civil War?

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!