New Version of the KS Napoleon Mod Released

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
roy64
Reactions:

Re: New Version of the KS Napoleon Mod Released

Post by roy64 »

Is that a new toolbar for the KS Mod?
Leicestershire
remus
Reactions:

Post by remus »

Hi roy64

No it isn't a new toolbar.The setting it was used in was different to the normal format when using the KS mod,and I was trying to illustrate mainly the variety of the different units available to the user of the KS mod. Sorry for the confusion

Remus
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Cavalry scouting patrols can now be created and will automatically go off to search for the enemy. When they are found, they will send back a detailed report to the division player/commander giving their location, the location of the enemy, its direction of movement and the size and composition of the force they see. KS Forum Site
Wow x 1000!

Great work - must try this mod. That feature has been my number one wish for years - it is the reason I joined the team way back but could never get it high enough up the priority list for patches and releases. Is it implemented for cavalry only? Edit - read the manual and see light cavalry only. Downloading mod now - lots of other interesting edits in there.
Last edited by con20or on Thu May 17, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

I totally agree Connor. This is a great addition to the game, and adds a whole new dimension to pre-battle manoeuvres.

Martin (J)
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

yeh, really neat addition to the mod. i tried it out quickly there and it seems to work great. What is the biggest map in the KS mod Martin? I haven't figured out the 4L, 6L codes yet (MP player numbers?) but is it the GBurg 9 mile?

I'd like to try a game with the scouts enabled on a really bigmap
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the scouting does make an interesting addition. The largest maps are the German Gburg and German Chattanooga maps. The random map designations 4L and 6L were just codes assigned by GCM. They don't stand for anything special as far as I know. All the random maps are 5X5 mi.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

without revealing too much of the magic - whats the best way to use the scouts? If you place them at a junction - they will only see a bit of the enemy force at the head of the column before having to withdraw - if you place them offset/adjacent to a road with a good view (but with an open courier line back to you) - they should make a better estimate at numbers?
Last edited by con20or on Thu May 17, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

The couriers will hang around until the enemy, (non-officers), gets within 600-650 yd. before making a report. So in that case, they can give you an idea if the force they've found is just a brigade, errant battery or a division. They will stay at a safe distance and continue to observe, sending subsequent reports every 15 minutes or so. If you try and get cute and position the scouts where the column will pass by them, the enemy cavalry will likely see them sooner, target them and drive them away quickly.

I just send them out, either ahead of my column if I'm moving, or along the axis i think the enemy may be approaching on. This has saved me a number of times from blundering into a large enemy force.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

The couriers will hang around until the enemy, (non-officers), gets within 600-650 yd. before making a report. So in that case, they can give you an idea if the force they've found is just a brigade, errant battery or a division.
Interesting Concept!

I would like it better if the Player was restricted to only a few scouts, and the scouts had to ride back themselves to report the enemy units.

This would force the Player to use them with a bit more caution.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

There is a limit of 3, 50 man patrols per regiment. Losing that many men from a cavalry regiment has severe consequences during battle.