New Version of the KS Napoleon Mod Released

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: New Version of the KS Napoleon Mod Released

Post by Saddletank »

The couriers will hang around until the enemy, (non-officers), gets within 600-650 yd. before making a report. So in that case, they can give you an idea if the force they've found is just a brigade, errant battery or a division.
Interesting Concept!

I would like it better if the Player was restricted to only a few scouts, and the scouts had to ride back themselves to report the enemy units.

This would force the Player to use them with a bit more caution.

davinci
Remember that mounted scouts were everywhere, although the information they sent wasn't always received in time to be useful. IIRC Napoleon's right wing cavalry at Waterloo made contact with the Prussian advance guard at around 10:00am and sent this news off.. but for a long time it wasn't apparent what kind of force they were facing - but basically cavalry patrols were the eyes and ears of an army so I think its okay for a player to have several at his disposal.

Only light cav will send out patrols, but each French inf corps has a division attached.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

There is a limit of 3, 50 man patrols per regiment. Losing that many men from a cavalry regiment has severe consequences during battle.
Understood!
Remember that mounted scouts were everywhere, although the information they sent wasn't always received in time to be useful.
True.

So, How are you Guys stopping the enemy units from showing up on the Map when seen by your scouts?

Do, they only show up after you receive the courier message?

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

So, How are you Guys stopping the enemy units from showing up on the Map when seen by your scouts?

Do, they only show up after you receive the courier message?

davinci
Im pretty sure they play with maximum fog of war, so its a bare map no matter what.
Last edited by DarkRob on Mon May 21, 2018 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Im pretty sure they play with maximum fog of war, so its a bare map no matter what.
Thanks,I didn't think of that!

On a very large Map that would prove helpful to receive those scouting reports!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Jean Lafitte
Reactions:

Post by Jean Lafitte »

Yesterday, I downloaded and ran the new KS Napoleon mod. It is fantastic and running just fine on Win7 on my PC.

I have a couple of questions:

1) I'm playing French Scenario 2 vs. Russians. The infantry uniforms for both sides are washed out into a sort of beige. Is this supposed to be this way, or do I have a problem that I need to look into? This scenario has light fog and might be in the winter. Might the washed out colors be the Winter Sprites?

2) If there are any historical User Made Scenarios using KSN, please direct me to the download page.

Thanks very much.

PS The "Cavalry Scout and Vedette" function is working in fine fashion. Outstanding.
Last edited by Jean Lafitte on Wed May 23, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the mod.
The infantry uniforms for both sides are washed out into a sort of beige. Is this supposed to be this way, or do I have a problem that I need to look into?
They are wearing winter greatcoats. Your computer is fine.
If there are any historical User Made Scenarios using KSN, please direct me to the download page.
I am not aware of any.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Since SOWWL has been updated to version 1.03, a newer version of the KS mod has also been uploaded, (1.275).  you can find the link on the KS forum.
It will only run with the new version of the game.  It does contain some improvements to the game.
1. Artillery will not fire on units that are located in woods or heavy woods.  The game LOS is bugged and trees are transparent to artillery regardless of their depth.  This change allows units to remain safe from such fire.  It is somewhat unrealistic as troops on the edge of the woods are also invulnerable.  It is the best that can be done.  Note: units on the far side of such woods can still be targeted.
2. Cavalry screening is being rewritten.  The stock game did not use this function very effectively.  Now individual regiments or a brigade can be assigned this mission.  The unit(s) will move to a point 300 yd from the division commander.  If the division is on the march, the screen will keep moving forward.  If the division is retreating, the screen will remain stationary until the division commander is more than 600 yd. away, when it will fallback to 300 yd.  This has not been rigorously tested yet, so there may be bugs.
chops
Reactions:

Post by chops »

Thank you for this Mod. Can you please direct me to a download link and the instructions for installing the KS Mod? Will the Grog V Toolbar work with this Mod or does it come with its own toolbar?

Also, where can I read about the KS Mod? I really have no idea what it does, as I am new to this game. I have owned the game since it was released, however, I could never get into it, as it seemed really clunky. I going to give this game another shot.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

The first post of this thread answers all your questions.
chops
Reactions:

Post by chops »

Thanks jackass that was helpful. The first post is not helpful, that is why I posted my message. I click on the link and it takes me to some weird website, and I was unable to find any sort of download information.