New Version of the KS Napoleon Mod Released

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: New Version of the KS Napoleon Mod Released

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

@RebBugler:Logistics
MTG - Have you tried adjusting the [ levitate] in the unitgfx.csv or the unitpack.csv to see if that helps?
We tried that and it made no difference.
Question, what happened to the basic commands for units like in older versions (line, column by divisions..etc.), there seem to be very very few controls given to the commander here. I'm trying to split up various brigades to take different objectives but my commands are being completely ignored...even when I select my brigade commanders.
Other than adding one new formation recently, the toolbar hasn't been changed in a very long time. Are you playing as a corps or army commander? If so, the division commander is controlling his brigades as he sees fit. To control the individual brigades you'd have to first TC the division commander.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Chichetr
Reactions:

Post by Chichetr »

Hey MTG!

Thanks for such a quick reply!

Yeah, I have been playing as corps commander. When I go and click on a brigade, I click on the brigade commander, TC him and nothing in the tool bar changes. I TC all units and nothing changes.

For example, I can't deploy them into line, wheel them...I CAN select on the regiments individually and move them around. When I select the commander, the commander goes wherever I want but there doesn't seem to be an option to wheel, form line...etc. for the entire brigade as one.

Does that make sense?
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Once you click on the brigade commander that is under your direct command, you'll see all the buttons available to him. There will be many more than the corps commander has. You will be able to give him a formation to deploy into, wheel, etc. If you are clicking on a brigade commander that is in another corps, you'll not see any buttons.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

When I go and click on a brigade, I click on the brigade commander, TC him and nothing in the tool bar changes. I TC all units and nothing changes.
TC'ing the brigade commander wont change anything on the toolbar. What it does is remove him from the chain of command and places him directly under your command(and disabling the AI's ability to command him.) The brigade commander becomes a brain dead zombie, solely under your command. He also wont issue orders to his subordinate battalions, save for whatever orders you issue through him.

The same holds true if you also TC all the battalions under the brigade commander. At that point the brigade commander becomes pretty useless because now you've removed all his battalions from the chain of command as well. Now the battalions are brain dead zombies to. If you issue a formation, wheel, flank, whatever order at the brigade level from the brigade commander, the battalions will not respond to the command because you have disabled their ability to do so. You can only command them yourself, I.E. you have to click on each individual battalion and give them specific commands yourself.
For example, I can't deploy them into line, wheel them...I CAN select on the regiments individually and move them around. When I select the commander, the commander goes wherever I want but there doesn't seem to be an option to wheel, form line...etc. for the entire brigade as one.
This is in line with what I just said. If you have the brigade commander AND all his battalions TC'd, the brigade commander will be pretty much useless. In order to issue brigade level commands you can have the commander TC'd, but not his battalions. The battalions must be under AI control in order to respond to a brigade level formation order.

Also remember that wheeling is an individual command, unlike say oblique movement or flank movement. If you click on the brigade commander and hit wheel, you will only adjust his facing, not the whole brigade. In order to have the brigade match the commanders new facing you have to select a formation after you wheel the commander.

Example: Your brigade is set up in double line facing north. You want to keep the same formation but want the whole brigade to adjust their facing so they face northwest. You would select the brigade commander and wheel him until he was facing northwest or whatever way you want him to face. Once you've got him facing the way you want him to, select the double line formation under the movement tab and the whole brigade will now adjust their facing to match the new orientation of the brigade commander.

Also, in case the word "line" is being misconstrued here, there is no brigade formation in the KS mod called just "line". There are different variants of formations based on the line such as double line, line with reserves, column of regiments in line etc etc. In general these are pretty self explanatory and, if in doubt, simply form your brigade into them to see what they do. However, results may vary depending on which tab you select these formations from.

For example, using a brigade consisting of 5 battalions, if you form double line from the movement tab it will put 3 battalions out front in line formation and 2 battalions in reserve behind them in column by division.

However if you hit the same double line formation from the combat tab it will instead send one of the forward line units out ahead in a skirmish formation, bring up one of the column by division units from the rear to take that units place, and bring the other column by division unit closer to the front line.
Its considered to be the same formation, its just a more "combat" ready version of it.

Some combat formations can also be the same as some move formations to. For instance the combat tab formation "Column of regiments in line" will give you the exact same formation as the move tab formation "Double line"

Just experiment by forming all these different formations and comparing them between their move tab deployments and their combat tab deployments to see what they do and decide which ones are best. That's what I did.
Last edited by DarkRob on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
montecristo1981
Reactions:

Post by montecristo1981 »

SOWWL runs much slower than SOWGB due to its improper use of multi-core programming. You can get around that somewhat by playing the game in MP mode where only one CPU core is used, but it will still be slower than SOWGB. In playing that way, there is also the disadvantage of not being able to fast forward whenever you like as in pure SP mode.
Don't want to hijak this thread - but too interesting to pass up - is this really a thing? So you setup a MP sandbox, but play yourself only and leave AI on the other? Does it give much of an improvement?
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Don't want to hijak this thread - but too interesting to pass up - is this really a thing? So you setup a MP sandbox, but play yourself only and leave AI on the other? Does it give much of an improvement?
It increases the fps by 50-100% depending on the map.
montecristo1981
Reactions:

Post by montecristo1981 »

ok thanks will take a look. i like big maps with vlittle veg for FPS, used to play on Apline alot.
Chichetr
Reactions:

Post by Chichetr »

Hey guys!

So, here are the pictures of what I'm talking about.

I can't control brigades completely. For example, I can wheel them, dress the line..etc. However, I'm missing formation buttons (form a line, form different formations..etc.), unlike the vanilla game, it seems like a TON of buttons are missing. I used to be able to control the older KS mod just FINE, I'm not sure what the hell is going on here.

Can someone help me? See images attached. As you can see, there are NO options to form a bloody line even.
Attachments
DivsionCommand.png
DivsionCommand.png (3.52 MiB) Viewed 876 times
BrigadeCommander.png
BrigadeCommander.png (3.12 MiB) Viewed 876 times
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

I can't even imagine how that is possible. Do you have any mods other than the three KS mods activated? If not, I can only guess that your download of the KS Nap Mod 1.29 is corrupt. You might try downloading that piece of the mod again.
Chichetr
Reactions:

Post by Chichetr »

Hey MTG!

HAH! I KNEW IT! Thank you so much for confirming for me that buttons were missing! I have literally been going INSANE ("why the hell is there only an option to wheel, dress the line and road march?!"