TC2M > SOWGB map converter

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
voltigeur
Reactions:

TC2M > SOWGB map converter

Post by voltigeur »

I read somewhere that a tool exists to convert TC2M maps to SOWGB format. Is this correct and if so, could a kind person please point me in the right direction?

cheers
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: TC2M > SOWGB map converter

Post by Davinci »

I read somewhere that a tool exists to convert TC2M maps to SOWGB format. Is this correct and if so, could a kind person please point me in the right direction?

cheers
To My Knowledge - That is NOT possible.

They use a different version of the Power-Render-Program and the map-making-format is completely different.

The TC2M maps used a single (jpg) file to show the maps, SOWGB - uses ( 4- RGB ) files to make a map.

You can use under four RGB files, but almost everyone sticks to using four.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

Thanks for setting me straight Davinci!

cheers
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

voltigeur - Truth be Told - I'm not sure how you could ever want to go back to the previous games Map-Textures compared to this games terrain.

One you have the hand-drawn-texture that is restricted to 2.5 mile, and this one you can crop Real-World-Terrain into it.

Also, these Maps can be as large as you like, but that probably depends on the Computer that you are using.

The Map-Making-Process isn't that hard after a while so if you ever decide to start making them there are approximately a dozen members on the forum that will help you out!
The attachment 1_2018-05-31.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 2_2018-05-31.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
2_2018-05-31.jpg
2_2018-05-31.jpg (294.85 KiB) Viewed 147 times
1_2018-05-31.jpg
1_2018-05-31.jpg (306.27 KiB) Viewed 147 times
Last edited by Davinci on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

Thanks for that info and beautiful screenshots Davinci.

Yes although I can't really go back to TC2M, I really miss some of those scenarios, in particular the Cedar Mountain ones (oh and yes all of the 2nd Manassas if truth be told.. what is it with unfinished railroads anyway!!)

So I was thinking, as I hadn't seen anyone produce a Cedar Mountain for SOWGB series (I think!) .. how hard could it be? :laugh:

First off it seems one starts with the map - correct? In which case I would need to build that from scratch. Hence me enquiring here to see if there was a short cut. I gather I now would use the SOWWL SDK to build the map.

Any links to pointers building maps that will work in SOWGB will be gratefully received; my initial brief read of the SOWWL SDK pdf didn't seem to include any info on that.

cheers!
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

How hard could it be? :laugh:
Not, Really as hard as you may think!
First off it seems one starts with the map - correct?
1) Download and Install the SOWWL SDK - I have mine Installed at the top of the C-Drive for easy access. Basically the first Directory.
In which case I would need to build that from scratch.
Not, entirely.
You should have all of the files from the previous game, correct?
Some of this will require a little bit of Photoshop or equivalent Program.

You can use the "CedarMt.tga" Height.tga - for the height of the map, it is 256x256 which is 2.5 miles roughly.

Expand that to 512x512 which would create a 5 mile map, roughly.

Also - the "CedarMt.tga" - in the Maps-Folder - can be used give you the location of the roads, streams, fields, and the tree area.

Basically, these can be transferred over to the newer (RGB) files which should save you a lot of time.

You will probably need a Step-by-Step - but it is fairly simple once you get the basics down.
I gather I now would use the SOWWL SDK to build the map.
True.

This is where everything will be put together, most maps are basically only a dozen different files that require Modding, the other files are hardly ever used.

Hope this Helps!

davinci
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

You will probably need a Step-by-Step
Yes I have the original TC2M game so that's no prob, but a step by step will help, is there any mapping documentation out there?

Appreciate the time getting me started Davinci!

cheers
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Is there any mapping documentation out there?
Negative - As far as I know!

But, the CedarMt - map from the previous game would probably be a good way to start and learn how this is done.
Also - once you do one of them, the rest should be fairly simple since it basically works the same way on any map.

Question - Do you have Photoshop, or any other Equivalent Program?

Also - since a lot of maps have already been released, you could get a lot of the Graphics from those maps, such as...Grass, Field-terrain, Weeds, Road-terrain, etc...

Also - Once you have the Map-Making-Tools Installed - locate a file called "LibEdit" it is in one of the directories in the Power Render Program.

This is the "Program" that is used to "Compile" and "Extract" all of the files.

Once you are ready - I will use the CedarMt - files to show you how the process works, and how to convert it into a Map that should work with this game.

davinci
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

I use paint.net, hopefully that will work.

I also have the sowwl sdk installed and have located the libedit application.

Ready to roll Sir! :)

cheers!
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

We are probably going to run into a Time-Difference-Here! Almost Midnight here.

I have the "LibEdit" shortcut located on the "Taskbar" since it is easier to locate and Open from there.

Create a new folder named "CedarMt" in the "PR6Studio" directory - like in the example below.
The attachment Example.png is no longer available
This is where all of your Map files will go for this Map.

Download the file below called "Splat.lpj" and place it in that folder also. This is the file that will Open the Map in the Power-Render-Program.

This next part is going to be sort of backwards and un-necessary but it will help to learn how to Open the Maps without starting from scratch.

Locate the Gburg.lsl file from the SOWGB game and drag it into the "LibEdit" window.

You should see a list of all of the files pertaining to that map.

Click on and hi-light all of the files so that each one is blue in color.

Click the "Extract FIle" - Click Open - Click Save until all of the files have been saved into the CedarMt folder...(Hmm...This part is confusing - but you must direct the files to be saved in the CedarMt folder)

If done correctly - you should have 29 files in the "CedarMt" folder.

Close the "LibEdit" window.

Basically - this will save the Gettysburg Map - into the CedarMt Map folder.

Locate the "CedarMt.lsl" file from the previous game and drag it into the Libedit window.

Extract the "height.tga" file and the "terrain.jpg" file only and save unto the Desktop.

Open the height.tga file with "Paintnet" and rotate it 90 degrees clockwise.

Also - change the image size from 256x256 to 512x512.

Save it and Copy it into the "CedarMt" folder in the PR6Studio directory. It should overwrite the height file from the Gettysburg Map.

To Open the map in PR6 - you will have to direct the location to the location of that file.

Click - the "LandScape Studio" - Click - File - Click -Open

Click the Drive where the Program is Installed!

Click the "PR6studio" File to Open its directory!

Click the "CedarMt" folder - and select the "splat2.lpj" file.

If all of this which is probably quite confusing at first is done correctly, you should be looking at the Gettysburg Map.

Some of the structures will be in the air and or in the ground, Click on one of them and Select All - Re-click the same structure and choose the Delete All.

All of them will disappear. The terrain is also from the Gettysburg Map, but we will change that tomorrow.

Hope this Helps!

davinci
Attachments
splat2_2018-05-31.rar
(112 Bytes) Not downloaded yet
Example.png
Example.png (119.38 KiB) Viewed 147 times
Last edited by Davinci on Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.