TC2M > SOWGB map converter

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
voltigeur
Reactions:

Re: TC2M > SOWGB map converter

Post by voltigeur »

this is part of the last RGB file, RGB2 -
The attachment Capture_2018-06-12-2.PNG is no longer available
but it doesnt look right. I might just start the whole thing again!! :laugh:
Attachments
Capture_2018-06-12-2.PNG
Capture_2018-06-12-2.PNG (218.83 KiB) Viewed 103 times
Last edited by voltigeur on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

But it doesn't look right. I might just start the whole thing again!! :laugh:
I don't think that there has ever been, or will ever be anyone that doesn't edit the RGB files dozens of times before they settle on the map.

I would probably get the Map to working in the Game before starting everything over.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
georgerutherford1861
Reactions:

Post by georgerutherford1861 »

This is a fantastic thread! I had downloaded the SDK months ago, but the documentation within it did not really address the map-making part of things, so I figured that when I had time I would ask about it.

I do not want to hijack this great thread - but will there be information on creating a map for somewhere without an already existing map from, for instance, TC2M? Information on what size bmp creates what size map, etc? I presume that there is a lot of hand-drawing in a Paint program on top of things like aerial photos or maps. Same question for creating the height file. Thanks again.

Doug
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I do not want to hijack this great thread - but will there be information on creating a map for somewhere without an already existing map from, for instance, TC2M?
It is almost the same format, but I have never made a Map from start to finish.
I'm guessing here, but I would think that the "height.tga" file would be the first file to be completed. next would be the "mapname.bmp" that defines the roads, woods, stream, etc...

Once the "Mapname.bmp" file is complete, you would\could use that file to create the RGB files.
Information on what size bmp creates what size map, etc? I presume that there is a lot of hand-drawing in a Paint program on top of things like aerial photos or maps.
The size of the Map is based on the size of the "height.tga" file that is located in the "mapname.lsl" file. The Power Render Program - also has a "Tile Size" that can be used to make the map larger, I think!
Same question for creating the height file. Thanks again.
The "height.tga" can either be hand-drawn, or better downloaded from the actual location. But, I can't seem to find out where they are on the Internet.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!