It's time to tell us what's going on Norbsoft.

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
DarkRob
Reactions:

It's time to tell us what's going on Norbsoft.

Post by DarkRob »

So Il be blunt. Ive heard rumors that the next NSD game will not be a Scourge of War game. Now Im not one to put to much stake in rumors because they often turn out to be untrue. However, Ive heard this one enough times, and from enough different people that Im taking it at least somewhat seriously.

Rumors without details are hardly helpful, but that's all Ive heard so far. In a nutshell, this is what Ive heard:

That the next game will still be set in the Napoleonic Wars(This is no big secret as Norb himself wrote that on this forum months ago)

And that the next game will not be a Scourge of War game but be something either different, or new, or an upgrade to SOW.

From some people Ive heard that NSD is moving in an entirely new direction, from others that its the next step in the evolution, similar to how Scourge of War was the next step in the evolution from the Take Command series. Ive even heard it might be a one off game and that it doesn't mean the end of Scourge of War.

All of these are just unsubstantiated rumors, just idle talk, and it could mean nothing.

Im excited, but nervous now to see what Norbsoft has in store for us next. I loved the Scourge of War series like no other wargame before. And the core idea of what makes Scourge of War special, the ability to command thousands of troops on the battlefield in real time, is what I want from NSD.

Im all for something new, Im all for upgrades, certainly the SOW engine is getting on in years. Im all for fresh idea's, new graphics, improved AI, more detailed campaigns, Im all for it.

At the same time, I just want to remind NSD why I, and I think a lot of other players, play your games. And that's that core idea I spoke of earlier, that lineage that reaches all the way back to early games like Sid Meiers Gettysburg. I want to command thousands of troops on the field in real time. Battalions, regiments, batteries, squadrons, brigades, divisions, corps, and armies.

Im all for whatever else you have in mind and in store for us, because you've never let me down yet. But that core philosophy, that lineage, that legacy, please don't ever take that away from us.
Last edited by DarkRob on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: It's time to tell us what's going on Norbsoft.

Post by Davinci »

Im all for something new, Im all for upgrades, certainly the SOW engine is getting on in years. Im all for fresh idea's, new graphics, improved AI, more detailed campaigns, Im all for it.
When several Members of the Team said that the Game Engine is getting old and they have exhausted all means of upgrading it, that let Me know that they were working on a New game Engine.

They never said much after that!

Hopefully, the New Engine will have a sort of Campaign-System, day and night cycles, and a much larger strategic map environment.

My opinion Only - this game completely missed the best part of fighting in the Civil-War, by dividing your forces, traveling down different roads in the same general direction, and seeking out the enemy.

But, the Maps were probably not big enough for that type of fighting, and the AI wasn't really programmed to fight as a complete Army.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

DarkRob - You are correct that the next game will be something completely different. We started out pursuing another Napoleonic game but have switched directions a time or two. Starting over with a brand new engine is a huge challenge, especially when we are a small company that does this on our spare time. I wish I could give you more details, but until we have something that is playable, there's not a whole lot I can say because things change daily. But again, the important thing is that we are still working... Still dedicating hours upon hours to bring you a great war game that will meet (and hopefully exceed) the standards set by SOW.

Davinci - If things pan out the way we expect, I think you'll be quite happy with our next release. :)
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

DarkRob - You are correct that the next game will be something completely different. We started out pursuing another Napoleonic game but have switched directions a time or two. Starting over with a brand new engine is a huge challenge, especially when we are a small company that does this on our spare time. I wish I could give you more details, but until we have something that is playable, there's not a whole lot I can say because things change daily. But again, the important thing is that we are still working... Still dedicating hours upon hours to bring you a great war game that will meet (and hopefully exceed) the standards set by SOW.
Well, Il try to keep an open mind, but with a brand new game Il have to see it in action before committing to buy it, whereas a new SOW game I would have bought blindfolded on day 1. Im certainly interested in seeing what direction the new game takes, but Im also cautious. SOW Waterloo set the bar very high in my opinion, and high bars are not easily topped. But il be watching for new details.
Patrat
Reactions:

Post by Patrat »

I am rather disappointed that the next game will not be another Napoleonic title with an upgraded SOW engine.

Like DarkRob I would of bought a new Napoleonic SOW game sight unseen.

And like him, I may or may not buy the new game.
Majick
Reactions:

Post by Majick »

Davinci - If things pan out the way we expect, I think you'll be quite happy with our next release. :)
Great stuff Little Powell, I'm looking forward to it. I think your decision to switch engine is sound and will hopefully expand your user base beyond us dedicated grognards :)
Last edited by Majick on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: speeling
stonewalljackson
Reactions:

Post by stonewalljackson »

When several Members of the Team said that the Game Engine is getting old and they have exhausted all means of upgrading it, that let Me know that they were working on a New game Engine.

They never said much after that!

Hopefully, the New Engine will have a sort of Campaign-System, day and night cycles, and a much larger strategic map environment.

My opinion Only - this game completely missed the best part of fighting in the Civil-War, by dividing your forces, traveling down different roads in the same general direction, and seeking out the enemy.

But, the Maps were probably not big enough for that type of fighting, and the AI wasn't really programmed to fight as a complete Army.

davinci

"Hopefully, the New Engine will have a sort of Campaign-System, day and night cycles, and a much larger strategic map environment."

I could not agree more with the above. Imagine a multiplayer option with a robust campaign map. I would pay large sums of money for that game.
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
southern solider about northern general sherman

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".
northern newspaper about the death of stonewall jackson
stonewalljackson
Reactions:

Post by stonewalljackson »

Have you guys any contact with another small company grand tactician?

http://www.grandtactician.com/thecivilwar/index.html
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
southern solider about northern general sherman

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".
northern newspaper about the death of stonewall jackson
Chichetr
Reactions:

Post by Chichetr »

Ooof, I'm really disappointed to hear that the new scourge of war game has been scrapped.....now I'm extremely nervous for this new game.

Like DarkRob, I have NEVER loved a strategy game more fiercely than the Scourge of War series. Each title has been absolutely more breath taking than the last.

What draws me most to the scourge of war games is commanding (Literally), 100,000+ men on a battlefield in real time. Commanding Divisions, Brigades, single regiments all while seeing the individual soldier toiling in the intensity of combat before me in fantastic detail. The bodies littering the ground as evidence of the action as the battle shifts in the distance.

Can someone please just answer this question:........ will there still be nearly 1-1 scale battles in the same manner as scourge of war? The rumors of adding grand campaigns on a larger map has certainly piqued my interest but the real-time element in real, historical scale is my main concern.

Awaiting some kind of assurance, I love you guys at Norb, I'm REALLY hoping that's the direction you're taking this new game....
DarkRob
Reactions:

Post by DarkRob »

Like DarkRob, I have NEVER loved a strategy game more fiercely than the Scourge of War series. Each title has been absolutely more breath taking than the last.
True story, I sometimes get misty eyed when talking about Scourge of War. There will never be another like it.