New GCM

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
exp101
Reactions:

Re: New GCM

Post by exp101 »

Just sent to our email list of past GCM'ers who've yet to try the New GCM:

Tried the New GCM?
If not, you're missing out on some wild, nail-biting Scourge of War Gettysburg action! It's just like old times, but in many ways Swinder's NGCM is even better.

Consider:
-Our game is now Windows 10 compatible (using W7 compatibility and turning off ALL notifications);
-Players have enhanced management control of their divisions;
-There's a brand new replay viewer complete with formation and facing symbols and a zoom-in feature;
-We're currently playing from a stable of 125 of Garnier's Large Random Maps;
-No more donations;
-All regiments and batteries are historical;
-Regiments may potentially reach higher levels of experience than before;
-There are no more "global" turns, but players may request replacements on a division-by-division basis;
-Regiments and guns stay in your division until you dismiss them OR, they are captured in battle. Guns are lost back to the pool when either routed or captured;
-The battles are getting larger. We fought a 13-player epic a few days ago, with battles fought virtually every day at 5:15 pm Eastern;
-There are now several game options open to hosts beyond just the standard, symmetrical GCM meeting engagement. For instance...
*We now also play "attack/defend" battles with defenders beginning in one quadrant of the map together with the vp's
*Objectives are not all (necessarily) created equal. Hosts may set up "50-50" or "75-25" battles where one vp is worth 50% or 75% of the total with the remaining points divided among the rest

Join your comrades along with a growing number of new and returning GCM'ers in NGCM. To get started, look to this Norbsoft forum thread and the NGCM Website "Help" section for all the links, downloads and info you'll need. We're using "Discord" now rather than Teamspeak, so join us there (info and invitation link are also in the Norbsoft thread).

There's even a Facebook Page for us. If you'd like to receive an invitation to join, send me a note along with your email address (the one that's known to FB), and I'll send you an invite.

Check it out, muster up, and come recruit your own NGCM division!

Best,
Palmer

Norbsoft forum link: http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/mp-forum/77499-new-gcm
NGCM Website: http://ngcmsow.com/
Last edited by exp101 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Swinder made a couple of notable changes yesterday. First, in order to make the game more competitive for new and infrequent players, the floor experience levels of new regiments was increased. You'll also recall a few days ago a change was made for very experienced regiments that significantly impacts their levels when receiving replacements. In some cases, regiments at or above level 7 may see a 2 or even 3 level experience decrease when receiving lots of new recruits. As a result, players will want to give close consideration when replenishing depleted units!
Second, players may indicate their preference (or lack thereof) for taking corps or army command. Everyone can check all the changes in the Change Log (link on NGCM home page).
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Two more improvements have been added to NGCM in the past couple of days. Swinder has added kind of a slick mechanism to reduce the likelihood that random games are dramatically unbalanced in terms of player skill levels. To do this players are given an anonymous rating that may be used by hosts to create team parity.
Secondly, cavalry is back. For those who enjoy the horse soldiers, historical cavalry regiments have been added to the pool of available units. Players who wish may add these to their divisions in the same manner as infantry and artillery i.e., by adding cavalry commanders and assigning the regiments to commanders. As with the old GCM, hosts may include or not include cavalry as they wish and the horse soldiers carry the same effectiveness restrictions as they had in Garnier's system.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

Big Labor Day battle today. Don't miss it!
Jonah
Reactions:

Post by Jonah »

Regular games played daily starting at 16:15 central time. W10 no problem as we know what the issues are join us on discord details for the website are to be found in the links above.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

For those who haven't been to the NGCM website recently, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! To view the latest battle replays go to Battles/List Battles/View Replay. Don't forget to use your mouse wheel to zoom in on the action (a very cool feature).

If you'd like to join us to check it all out, sign up by clicking Register. Getting set up is a breeze too. Simply go to Help and follow the step-by-step Installation Instructions then follow the Division Setup directions to customize your personal division of troops. Links to everything you need are right there as well.

As Jonah mentioned, we play games virtually every day (often 2) beginning at 5:15pm US Eastern time. Our battles are getting larger too with 8 to 12 players now the norm. We're looking for a return to the GCM glory days where we had as many as 23 players in a battle!

You'll want to hook up with us on our Discord communications page ahead of time so someone can test your settings and answer any questions you might have. It couldn't be easier!

Looking forward to seeing both old SoW vets and those brand new to SoW multi-player. Everyone's welcome so come muster up!

Palmer

PS It's important to reiterate Jonah's point that Windows 10 is no longer a barrier. So much so that, in fact, I now host our games using W10!
Last edited by exp101 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leifr
Reactions:

Post by Leifr »

I've just had to reset my account to log in. It's been a long time since I last played SoW:G, it would always crash in multiplayer on Windows 10.

You Sir are a saviour ! I look forward to whatever else it is that you whip up.
1norselad
Reactions:

Post by 1norselad »

Hi Guys

Its Norselad from the old version of the game. is the game still going strong?

Thanks
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

NGCM is indeed going strong. In fact, just hitting its stride with some new features and several innovations in game play. Join us in Discord and check us out at:

http://ngcmsow.com/

Register, then go to Help/Install & Setup to get going. Everything you need is there.
chee
Reactions:

Post by chee »

hi,i am new NGCM user.I download a scenario from your website then I get 2 questions:
1. the map has 4 directions objective ? NE SE NW SW 4 diretions ,every randommap has these?
2. the battles list is MP battle records ?
and my system is win10 x 64,I find the UI text will be red bar ,no text showing when first playing.After set launcher to compli mode with win7 it show text normally.
I hope new mod could play random map sp campaign with showing the referenced data,like injured nunber/kills with page or other clear tables.