"All I can see is the flags"

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Amish John
Reactions:

"All I can see is the flags"

Post by Amish John »

Sometimes when I played TC2M it seemed like there was an overabundance of flags. Maybe just because my troops usually got decimated and the regiments were so small the colors were packed close together.....anyway....are there colors/guidons used in the game where not historically accurate? I'm thinking of the use of a separate guidon for each artillery piece as an example. I'm not really up on the colors carried by artillery batteries so I'm not sure how many and what style colors were carried by a battery. If it's not historically correct to have a guidon with each piece in the battery can there be some other click point for the gun? Any other places where flags are used that maybe aren't appropriate?

For extra points..from what movie is my subject quote taken?
Last edited by Amish John on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
122nd Ohio
Reactions:

Re:"All I can see is the flags"

Post by 122nd Ohio »

Here's an interesting link I found just recently, it has some info on battery flags:

http://www.cwartillery.org/adrill.html
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

I have created a flag for the artillery pieces - it isn't a flag at all, but since the game needs a flag, well, you get the idea. For TC2M, obviously.

As far as I know, brigade commanders had individual flags, so as division and corps commanders, and army commanders. However, regiments would generally get pretty much a state flag (north) and a national's colors. Confederates would get either the Red Cross Flag and maybe a national flag.

Battery commanders had the battery flag. Cavalry troops had guidons PER COMPANY and one state and national flag. Late in the war, large infantry regiments would get company flags (heavy artillery units, eg.) so their commander, actually wielding a regiment the size of a brigade or two, could actually command the regiment properly.
Hancock the Superb
Amish John
Reactions:

Re:

Post by Amish John »

122nd Ohio wrote:
Here's an interesting link I found just recently, it has some info on battery flags:

http://www.cwartillery.org/adrill.html
Based on this one source article, it sounds like only the battery commander had a guidon and not the individual guns.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Historically that is correct. For the game, something distinct must be clicked in order to 'activate' a unit to receive orders. Since all of the other units historically had unit flags, it was thought less confusing to add flags for the guns rather than to have some unique activation zone that only applied to the individual artillery guns.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Amish John
Reactions:

Re:

Post by Amish John »

Jim wrote:
Historically that is correct. For the game, something distinct must be clicked in order to 'activate' a unit to receive orders. Since all of the other units historically had unit flags, it was thought less confusing to add flags for the guns rather than to have some unique activation zone that only applied to the individual artillery guns.

-Jim
Jim,

I certainly understand the logic of your design choice. However, I believe all the guidons associated with a battery in addition to the commanders flag detract from the look of the battery. If it's not a big deal to assign an activation zone such as the barrel of the artillery piece or just the piece itself I believe players could easily adjust to that. As someone mentioned in an ealier thread, the more flags you have the greater the chance they will be blocking your view, especially at lower viewing angles, and perhaps obstructing you from clicking on another unit. Don't get me wrong, I love the flags in the game, but personally hope they can be restricted to their historic applications.

John
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

There are arrow keys for a reason! I'm using those!
Hancock the Superb
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

AJ: I understand your desire for historical accuracy as I have the same syndrome myself. There are however reasons internal to the game engine that would make using, for example the gun barrel, as the activation point very expensive in terms of memory usage. This is one of those places where neither alternative is truly right and the designer just has to make their choice. In this case using the historically incorrect gun flags gives us the memory room to add a second artillery gun type.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
CSARELEECO
Reactions:

Post by CSARELEECO »

Fort Apache
I have been a Civil War buff since the seventh grade when I discovered Bruce Cattons, "The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War". I would look at the illustrated battles and imagine the fight going on. Then Sid did Gettysburg,..my dream came to life. I am a small business owner and will retire in 11 years to RV to as many CW battlefields as I can.
(Point of pride and Honor)
My youngest son graduates from West Point in May of '09.
CSARELEECO
Reactions:

All I see is the flags.

Post by CSARELEECO »

I can't remember the actresses name that said it, but she was commenting about the soldiers after the women were pretty much left alone at the fort.
Last edited by CSARELEECO on Sat May 02, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been a Civil War buff since the seventh grade when I discovered Bruce Cattons, "The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War". I would look at the illustrated battles and imagine the fight going on. Then Sid did Gettysburg,..my dream came to life. I am a small business owner and will retire in 11 years to RV to as many CW battlefields as I can.
(Point of pride and Honor)
My youngest son graduates from West Point in May of '09.