Confusion at Antietam

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
amel1005
Reactions:

Confusion at Antietam

Post by amel1005 »

Good Morning Gents,

I have been trying to play the scenario that is the battle of  Antietam from the Union's perspective. All 11 hours. I am having a hard time ordering all my units to act without TC being on.

[*]
      My first order I issue is to MAJ GEN Sumner. He is literally standing next to me, McClellan. So close, I issue all these order to him without the need of a courier. The first order issued to him is for his subordinates to be taken off TC.

[*]
      I next give him an Objective. It's the Old Dunker Church.

[*]
      After I give him an objective, I set his stance to All out Attack.

So far...everything seems normal, I know. Though, look here...
As you can see, in the time it took to orient myself and try to find Sumner's men who were to the rear, he was able to get himself a few hundred meters from Command and towards his objective. All good? NO...
For the next 40 minutes I watched as Maj Gen Sumner waltzed his happy ass all the way through the lines of ol' Johnny Reb and to the cap point of Dunker Church only to be killed by some regiment that was stationary. All the while his Corps is happy to the rear in reserves. I guess the general wanted a little Secret Squirrel shit today...

If anybody can see the error in my ways, PLEASE HELP ME OUT! :) If Maj Gen Sumner is just an idiot, I'll take that answer too. Though, I can't imagine that would be the case.

~Thanks All
Last edited by amel1005 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Say to General Hancock for me, that I have done him, and you all a grevious injury, for which I shall always regret."

-Lewis "Lo" Armistead
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Confusion at Antietam

Post by RebBugler »

With the predawn low visibility maybe Attack orders won't budge the troops since they see no targets...Try Probe orders to get them moving initially would be my guess.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
amel1005
Reactions:

Post by amel1005 »

With the predawn low visibility maybe Attack orders won't budge the troops since they see no targets...Try Probe orders to get them moving initially would be my guess.
RebBugler,

I appreciate your response. I replayed the scenario again. My first orders went out to Hooker and Burnside...to defend their position so they don't get caught up chasing the enemy down. Sumner's orders go out next. I noticed that he doesn't even issue orders to his subordinates at any time. He is a sizable distance from his troops at the start. Could that be the issue? If he moves out, shouldn't his guys follow? I mean the Corps Commander Shouldn't be fighting alone I guess haha.

Reb your reputations precedes you here within the community, and I just want to thank you for still keeping it alive for the rest of us and for helping me out!
"Say to General Hancock for me, that I have done him, and you all a grevious injury, for which I shall always regret."

-Lewis "Lo" Armistead
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Reb your reputations precedes you here within the community, and I just want to thank you for still keeping it alive for the rest of us and for helping me out!
+100 there - he does artwork, scenarios, toolbars - and still is probably the most active support on the forum, he's a gem.
benway9
Reactions:

Post by benway9 »

Just saw this thread. I am interested in knowing where you acquired the full 11 hour Antietam scenario? I've been looking for that scenario for years and could never find it. Is there a download link that I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Hi benway9

Here is the link

Enjoy !

www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifications ... nion#73904

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
benway9
Reactions:

Post by benway9 »

Got it!! Thanks Chamberlain